Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:52 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,253,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Here if your name isnt on the list for that district they will check the other polling places and direct you where to go. If it is not then you did not file a change of address and you dont get to vote.
Now here is one way things can get tricky.

For one thing, how much time do people need to change their address to vote? Days or months, it probably varies by state. And how do we know if people don't vote in multiple locations? Some states seem to be more organized then others. And with some states, you can question their political impartiality with even monitoring the elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 11:12 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Now here is one way things can get tricky.

For one thing, how much time do people need to change their address to vote? Days or months, it probably varies by state. And how do we know if people don't vote in multiple locations? Some states seem to be more organized then others. And with some states, you can question their political impartiality with even monitoring the elections.
In my state I believe its 30 days prior to the election.
I do know if your name is not on the list your not voting there. I've seen several times where people were denied at that particular precinct.

I have no idea how much voter fraud goes on if any but at the same time don't understand why people are whining about having to show an ID to vote. It makes sense to me to prove you are the registered voter you claim to be. Whats the big deal.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
In my state I believe its 30 days prior to the election.
I do know if your name is not on the list your not voting there. I've seen several times where people were denied at that particular precinct.

I have no idea how much voter fraud goes on if any but at the same time don't understand why people are whining about having to show an ID to vote. It makes sense to me to prove you are the registered voter you claim to be. Whats the big deal.
Everyone has to do that when they register. Why is this so hard for you (and others) to understand? When one does this there is absolutely nothing to stop a state from giving a person a photo registration card. That they do not is the fault of who? You for electing those who don't do it?

Old 01-10-2018, 08:52 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Rhode Island voters could go over to New York to vote but the would have to go by boat.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Everyone has to do that when they register. Why is this so hard for you (and others) to understand? When one does this there is absolutely nothing to stop a state from giving a person a photo registration card. That they do not is the fault of who? You for electing those who don't do it?
Again, no they dont. You fill out a form and mail it. Writing down a name, address and a SS# is not proving who I am.
Registration cards do not have a photo and you do not have to provide a photo, a SS card, or a birth certificate to get a voter registration card. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Old 01-11-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Again, no they dont. You fill out a form and mail it. Writing down a name, address and a SS# is not proving who I am.
Registration cards do not have a photo and you do not have to provide a photo, a SS card, or a birth certificate to get a voter registration card. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
You must have a Tennessee driver's license or Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security ID in order to submit this application online.

From your link. The state is then going to send you a registration card. They have your picture, there is nothing stopping them from putting that on the I.D.

Mailing in a false report is a felony and all applications are open to the public. No one is doing so. For the few without a picture ID there is nothing stopping the state from creating them one when they show up to vote.

Everything you are complaining about can be done right now but that's not why people are complaining. It's used to divide people and that is pretty disgusting.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
You must have a Tennessee driver's license or Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security ID in order to submit this application online.
No you dont. You do NOT have to have a DL in order to vote.

Quote:

From your link. The state is then going to send you a registration card. They have your picture, there is nothing stopping them from putting that on the I.D.
What makes you think "the state" has your picture?
The DMV and state election administration are two entirely different departments.
"They" putting a photo on a voter registration card would require passage of legislation and funding and staff and of course obtaining a photo. So no "they" can not just put your photo on your voter registration card.
Quote:

Mailing in a false report is a felony and all applications are open to the public. No one is doing so. For the few without a picture ID there is nothing stopping the state from creating them one when they show up to vote.
Like stating giving false info is a felony is going to stop anyone.
Few without a picture ID. If there are just a few without a picture ID then whats the fuss in showing a picture ID when you vote?

Quote:

Everything you are complaining about can be done right now but that's not why people are complaining. It's used to divide people and that is pretty disgusting.
What am I complaining about. It seems you the one complaining that some states do and some want to require a photo ID to vote.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
No you dont. You do NOT have to have a DL in order to vote.
I posted verification for what I said right from the link you provided. You can re-read what I wrote and reply in a factual manner, or not.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I posted verification for what I said right from the link you provided. You can re-read what I wrote and reply in a factual manner, or not.
No where does it say you must have a DL in order to vote.
Are you really trying to convince people a drivers license is a requirement to vote?

Old 01-11-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
No where does it say you must have a DL in order to vote.
Are you really trying to convince people a drivers license is a requirement to vote?
I will not discuss things who refuse to do so honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies