Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 08:11 AM

18,837 posts, read 8,486,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Single payer is a farce.

What we need is to ELIMINATE all insurance companies and go back to paying for care ourselves. Direct to physician, direct to hospital.

Want to see healthcare costs PLUMMET?

Make every doc and hospital compete directly against each other for business, that gets paid directly out of the consumer's pocket.

You'd never see so many reasonable prices in your life.
This would work well if we were all rich. As it is it would be good for me as I'm rich.
Sorry if you're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 08:15 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,753,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
It's just that Democrats knew all along this would happen and welcomed it as they will do anything to destroy the middle class.

What I gather from your 2 posts :

#1 - You don't know very much about the recent history of U.S. healthcare, and

#2 - You have an axe to grind about Democrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
Now no one gets good care unless your rich.
No different than U.S. healthcare has ever been.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:20 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,909,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
That’s why single payer will not work.
Medicare works pretty well! If only the logjam could be broken to allow Medicare to negotiate drug prices.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:20 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,936,284 times
The usual spin about how the "liberals" and the "Democrats" are destroying the middle class, blah, blah, blah. There is no intent to try to understand the situation in depth and try to intelligently propose a solution. The whole intent of this diatribe is to divide.

In reality all of us have the same enemy, and that is the health care machine which is completely apolitical and whose only purpose is to extract as much money from each of us as possible before we die. The amazing thing is that some people believe that the health care marketplace is like any other market, and that the laws of supply and demand apply, just like they would for autos or soap. Demand in health care is essentially limitless. Why would we apply the same rules to that market?

Old 01-08-2018, 08:24 AM

635 posts, read 785,306 times
Default Not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Not in America, where the government is corrupt and beholden to big business. It works elsewhere though.
I asked my Canadian friends about their system.They said it is broke and heavily in debt.Some life-saving things are not approved.(MRI) For many.
But our system in unaffordable for many.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,753,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
I asked my Canadian friends about their system.They said it is broke and heavily in debt.Some life-saving things are not approved.(MRI) For many.
But our system in unaffordable for many.
I asked my Canadian friends about their system, too. They said it is doing well, and they get the things they need at no cost. They can't understand $30,000 bills for childbirth, like we sometimes get.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:35 AM

10,835 posts, read 14,946,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Not in America, where the government is corrupt and beholden to big business. It works elsewhere though.
Spoken like a true 8 year old!

U.S. Shouldn't Copy U.K.'s Failed Single-Payer Health Care System

Quote:
There, some hospitals are moving to ration care for those who are officially deemed obese — that is, anyone who has a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or more. Oh, and while they're at it, they will also ration care for smokers, too.

Why? "To plug a funding black hole," as the British Telegraph newspaper put it. Translation: Britain's National Health Service faces such a serious financial crisis that it now has to deny care to some people, despite its claims of "universal care." And who better to deny care for than two of the most despised groups in today's modern society — those who are obese and smokers?
I'm 70 years old, stand 5'-9" tall (I used to be 5'-10 1/2" but shrinkage happens over time) and weigh in at 205 lbs giving me a BMI of 30.3. If something happened to me under their system I would be refused care even if I never smoked? Somehow this feels good and right to you?

It is the single payer systems of England and Canada that causes the very wealthy to fly to America to get treatment at the Cleveland Clinic while the masses stay home and die.

Single payer is great if you are healthy.

Clue: There is no free lunch. Free health care doesn't exist anywhere in the world except in places where there isn't any health care.

Being over 65 I have Medicare but it isn't free either. For my Part B I pay $134.00 monthly while my supplement runs another $139.54 and then there is Part D for pharmacy that runs me $27.40 for a monthly total of $300.94 monthly for a single person. My wife has the same so as a couple we pay nearly $602.00 a month for medical and that doesn't include eyeglass or dental which we pay for as well.

If this sounds like a good deal to you don't forget we paid Medicare taxes for over 50 years as well.

How about we have a single payer system identical to Medicare where a family of four pays $1,200 monthly in medical premiums? Something tells me you would be against this but having someone on a fixed income pay the exact same amount you're ok with?

What it all boils down to is the crybabies that don't want to pay their own way. Now grow up and be a man.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:36 AM

18,837 posts, read 8,486,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

No different than U.S. healthcare has ever been.
Medicare.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:19 AM

757 posts, read 1,095,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

What i gather from your 2 posts :

#1 - you don't know very much about the recent history of u.s. Healthcare, and

#2 - you have an axe to grind about democrats.

#3 - no different than u.s. Healthcare has ever been. (in response to my comment on how the rich only get good care now)

#1 I'm sorry you feel that way.
#2 I sure do but I also have an axe to grind with Republicans too
#3 You are correct but now it's worse.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:55 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,236,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Spoken like a true 8 year old!

U.S. Shouldn't Copy U.K.'s Failed Single-Payer Health Care System

I'm 70 years old, stand 5'-9" tall (I used to be 5'-10 1/2" but shrinkage happens over time) and weigh in at 205 lbs giving me a BMI of 30.3. If something happened to me under their system I would be refused care even if I never smoked? Somehow this feels good and right to you?

It is the single payer systems of England and Canada that causes the very wealthy to fly to America to get treatment at the Cleveland Clinic while the masses stay home and die.

Single payer is great if you are healthy.

Clue: There is no free lunch. Free health care doesn't exist anywhere in the world except in places where there isn't any health care.

Being over 65 I have Medicare but it isn't free either. For my Part B I pay $134.00 monthly while my supplement runs another $139.54 and then there is Part D for pharmacy that runs me $27.40 for a monthly total of $300.94 monthly for a single person. My wife has the same so as a couple we pay nearly $602.00 a month for medical and that doesn't include eyeglass or dental which we pay for as well.

If this sounds like a good deal to you don't forget we paid Medicare taxes for over 50 years as well.

How about we have a single payer system identical to Medicare where a family of four pays $1,200 monthly in medical premiums? Something tells me you would be against this but having someone on a fixed income pay the exact same amount you're ok with?

What it all boils down to is the crybabies that don't want to pay their own way. Now grow up and be a man.
Nobody paid Medicare taxes before 1966. (By the way my ACA premium is $960/month and I have been paying Medicare taxes for 46 years-can’t wait to turn 65!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies