Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 09:32 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile the libs are demanding the 10 Commandments be taken out of every government building.

Also claiming the third stanza of the National Anthem condones slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 09:41 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Seam Cream Club View Post
. Being from America does not place you above anyone else in the world and does not entitle you to my respect. .

It entitles us to set our own immigration policies.

Focus on setting yours.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:41 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Yes give us the poor lame and ignorant but expect them to be productive loyal citizens not some other countries problems being dumped on US.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:51 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
These are lines from a poem written in 1883, 107 years after the Founding Fathers signed the Declaration of Independence. I wonder how many are, like this congressman, so indoctrinated that they actually believe The New Colossus describes "the foundational principle of our country"?

https://twitter.com/RepTimRyan/statu...61491766095875
nothing has changed, we still let in more immigrants than any other nation.

the only change is the hate and fear mongering campaign conducted by the hijacked democrat party and spread by the media propaganda machine, formerly known as the free press.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:55 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
They're neither educated, nor have work experience. But, no matter, live in your little Progressive fantasy world of rainbows, and unicorns. Are you another BOT?
Who? Hope you aren’t claiming really that African and Caribbean immigrants are neither educated nor have work experience. Because anyone who claims that is living under a rock. These places may suffer from corruption and often crime but their education systems are often better than the U.S. Both groups are overrepresented in the nations’ most elite institutions.

There is a reason why some people send their American-born children back home during formative years. Often when they return, they are ahead and more disciplined than the average U.S. student. Work experience? Oh they definitely work and have all sorts of skills. The Caribbean man working in your office may be able to fix your roof. They are often very handy.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:22 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
This is why you should watch the White House press briefings, especially if you get your 'news' from opposition media. You miss
comedy gems like this one from Jim 'Ted Baxter' Acosta and Stephen Miller.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:29 AM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
What about legal immigrants who have education and marketable skills?
That's all well and good but it should never be at the expense of unemployed Americans in any field. For example, we have many unemployed Americans in the STEM fields who were fired and replaced with H1-Bs. Meanwhile, those Americans struggle to find new jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Give me your tired, your poor...your ambitious, who work two jobs while going to school, whose ethnic groups are overrepresented at the nations best and brightest...

...and who many Americans will love to hate because you become doctors, lawyers, accountants etc. while they try to stereotype you.

Get over it.
^^^^You are the one who needs to "Get over it". Guess what? Not all immigrants are as you stereotype them. Many lack the skills to find good paying jobs.

We already have enough "doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc." There is no need to import any more.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:38 AM

62,946 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
I have met Colombians, Chileans and Argentines in my country. They more successful, more travelled and more educated than most Americans I have met.

Also ethnocentric Americans are annoying. They should trying to convince me they're awesome because they're not. Being from America does not place you above anyone else in the world and does not entitle you to my respect. Work ethnic does.

Your incidental evidence doesn't make it so. The point is that we should set our immigration policies so that no immigrant replaces an American on their job whether it be skilled or unskilled jobs. Nothing ethnocentric about that. No one is saying that Americans are above anyone else although I note your hypocricy claiming that Colombians, Chileans, etc are.

Last edited by Oldglory; 01-14-2018 at 11:57 AM..

Old 01-14-2018, 11:43 AM

62,946 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
I would prefer an educated third world person with international work experience than a Never left the USA American whose experiences are limited to hunting, trucks and renting a suburban Texan home. Whose contributions would more likely make America more like Norway? I think the third world person would.

Where in the world are you getting the notion that those types of Americans aren't working or contributing to our tax base and economy? What does international work experience have to do with it? Seems it is you who is bigoted against white Americans.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:44 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It was written at a time when it didn’t cost us anything.

At a time when any law abiding immigrant was a net positive.

If we get rid of all social services, we can go back to that, but until that time, that “founding” principle is economic suicide.

When my ancestors came here in the 1840s, they either worked or they starved to death. If we want to go back to that, then fine. Let everyone in.

The key line in the poem that always seems to be left out by people on the left is “yearning to breathe free”. That statement has many implications that just don’t apply to what our modern government has morphed into.
That's exactly it. I'm 100% for open borders, but the forced welfare needs to go. Incentivize productive people to come here to escape taxation and regulation, rather than incentivizing the unproductive to come here for that stolen loot.

Unfortunately I think the culture has changed too much for that to happen by choice. It might need to happen after a major shakeup that forces people out of their comfort zone...like the government going bankrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies