Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should islam/christianity/other religions be incorporated into the laws of the United States?
Yes 1 1.39%
No 71 98.61%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 12:19 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times

Advertisements

Some already are. The ten commandments.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:24 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Some already are. The ten commandments.
Actually only three of the ten are laws in our current society.

The way I see it is if it's not hurting anybody then live and let live. Things like murder, theft, rape, etc should be illegal because they are acts of harm against another person or their property. Homosexuality, drinking alcohol on Sunday, and smoking marijuana on the other hand are things that offend Christians but they aren't hurting anybody so therefore should not be illegal.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:27 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,945,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It's not proven that Bigfoot exists - is not believing in Bigfoot, faith?
If you don't believe in God, then you must believe in some other cause for creation; that's living by faith. For many, it's evolution -- which is proven to be false.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:31 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
If you don't believe in God, then you must believe in some other cause for creation; that's living by faith. For many, it's evolution -- which is proven to be false.
I don't know what I believe is the cause of creation, but generally accept what science says on most things, because they spend more time devoted to thinking about it -with the proviso that it could well be wrong. Is that a suitable explanation for religious faith?

Old 01-14-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Actually only three of the ten are laws in our current society.

The way I see it is if it's not hurting anybody then live and let live. Things like murder, theft, rape, etc should be illegal because they are acts of harm against another person or their property. Homosexuality, drinking alcohol on Sunday, and smoking marijuana on the other hand are things that offend Christians but they aren't hurting anybody so therefore should not be illegal.
You think the children of alcoholics are not affected in a negative way? You are mistaken. You think the people who died of aids did not affect their loved ones. You are mistaken. You think the people who die of lung cancer and sirosis of the liver or aids are not affected?

Old 01-14-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't know what I believe is the cause of creation, but generally accept what science says on most things, because they spend more time devoted to thinking about it -with the proviso that it could well be wrong. Is that a suitable explanation for religious faith?
Scientists spend years studying God's creation and have much more to learn from their creator.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:38 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
You're putting your faith in something not proven (evolution) by your own standards; that's living by faith.
Wow. So many logical fallacies, I hardly know where to start.

To begin with, you don't understand your own phrase, the meaning of the term to "live by faith." The phrase implies that one organizes their life in some fashion around a certain belief or set of beliefs. Like most religious people, you're incapable of comprehending the possibility that someone can live without organizing their life around some dogmatic belief system, so you assume atheists must, too. The fact is, they don't - anymore than you organize your life around not believing in Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny. People either believe in evolution or they don't; unless it's their field of study, they often go months or even years without ever even thinking of evolution. They don't "live by faith" regarding evolution, because it has absolutely no impact on their day to day lives one way or the other.

Second, it's a lie to assert that there is no evidence to support evolution - there are countless volumes of it, museums packed to the rafters with it. The fact that you refuse to accept it or are incapable of understanding it doesn't mean it doesn't exist; it just means you refuse to accept it or are incapable of understanding it.

And third, what in the world does evolution have to do with atheism or religion? There are many religious people who are at least bright enough to accept evolution, and there are atheists who don't accept evolution. So why are you conflating the two or changing subjects?

Quote:
I can scientifically prove that evolution is false.
Cool! Knock yourself out.

3... 2... 1... GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Can you not read?

Sure can. And you have, mmmm.... let's just say an extremely overly-sensitive definition of the word "insanity." Why are you so easily triggered by this topic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
They don't understand how the world works. What do they think laws are? And why should ANYONE obey ANY law?

This is why atheists are so stupid. They don't understand the logical implications of their belief-system.
Given your posts in this thread, I'd be careful about flinging the "stupid" stone around so liberally, Mr. Glass House.

Quote:
I don't understand why you think you're qualified to intelligently discuss evolution, when you don't even understand enough about the topic to realize that evolution has absolutely nothing to with the origin of life. It deals strictly with the question of how life developed once it got here; it makes no attempt whatsoever to explain the origin.

So what are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
You think the children of alcoholics are not affected in a negative way? You are mistaken. You think the people who died of aids did not affect their loved ones. You are mistaken. You think the people who die of lung cancer and sirosis of the liver or aids are not affected?
So what about free will? I thought you guys were all about god wanting his children to have free will? Or is that only as long as they do things you think it's OK for them to do?

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 01-14-2018 at 12:47 PM..

Old 01-14-2018, 01:14 PM

18,023 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Quote:
You're putting your faith in something not proven (evolution) by your own standards; that's living by faith.

Cool! Knock yourself out.

3... 2... 1... GO!

Here I'll give it a shot.

Why are apes still around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Is there some reason they shouldn't be? Jesus, conservatives, if you're going to argue with educated people about evolution, at least take an hour or two to actually learn something about it, eh?
But they're still here. Why didn't they evolve?

Where are the sabre tooth tigers? One might say they evolved... Forward, not backward... Nor did they linger for hundreds of thousands of years.

Oh, and I have spent an hour or so considering your view, and came to a conclusion thusly. Darwin was a fool.

Holding Every Trumphead PERSONALLY Responsible Through 2020 - 11-29-2016 12:02 AM?

Better make that 2024.

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-14-2018 at 02:26 PM..

Old 01-14-2018, 01:19 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Don't want any involuntary laws so don't care.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I don't think so...

The 10 commandments are already governed by all US government agencies and governed well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies