Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 08:44 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
good discussion topic. if you look at liberal colleges for example, students are terrified of guest speakers do not reflect what they hear in their echo chambers. thats just one example.

Why Are Millennials So Afraid of Freedom? I Think We Know | Free Range Kids

Maybe because they are smarter than your generation. Would you go, for example, to a event that was hosted by, let's say, the American Nazi Party ? After all, according to your logic, it would expand your mind and let you hear people who do not reflect your current thoughts ?

Personally, I do not see the point of your post. But as soon as I saw the words "echo chambers", it gave me a hint into your agenda. I know you Trumpees are scared to death of college educations, and people who think differently than you, but that is the real world, get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 09:03 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
At least part of it is that the state has continued to grow and be more involved in every aspect of life, and each succeeding generation forgets how society functioned without it.

Another reason is schooling. Government schools will obviously have a pro-government bias, the same way Walmart schools would have a pro-Walmart bias.

Media also has a big influence. I look back at a lot of the movies and TV I watched growing up, and the villains are always evil rich guys, or a big company destroying the environment, etc...characters are cartoonish, so you grow up with a cartoonish view of the world (like the stereotypical evil old white man with a southern accent who represents non-progressives)..then you have the news telling you all the bad things happening everywhere and pushing a narrative...
I wonder how much of the government being more involved is influenced by the media. That is, a campaign is saying something like "Have your local politician say "yes" to these proposals against this socio-political issue".

Old 02-08-2019, 09:13 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
It requires thinking for yourself.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:14 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,339,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Indoctrination.

Its not their fault.
They've been coddled all their lives, and they don't want that to end once they reach adulthood.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:15 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Still, they are spoiled. Parents did not plan to deprive their kids, they sacrifice their own retirement to coddle their adult kids so they don't have to work as hard as they did. This is why 30 year olds have a word "adulting" when they do things like laundry or buying a car, if they can even drive. Boomers drove rusty beater cars with ripped vinyl seats when they started out, and grew up in tiny ranch houses sharing a bedroom. Boomers and Xers and now millennials give their kids luxury. The kids complain because they want what their parents have earned over the years, right away.
This is spot on. Millennials have NO patience. We live in an instantaneous society. Want it... pick up the phone, order from Amazon, put it on credit (don't save for it), and boom it's delivered tomorrow. The wisest thing my mother ever taught me patience. I was in my 20's and a new mom and terribly upset that I couldn't get X (I don't remember what) for my son for Christmas. We just couldn't afford it. We had food to buy. My mother said, "Let me buy it. Your Grandparents bought for you when I couldn't afford it. Now retired and being fixed income can't. You can't. There will come a day, when you are a grandparent and will be able to do for your grandchild and I won't be able to." And you know what.... she was right. All I had to do was be PATIENT! And I found myself telling my son that very thing this past year. Patience. He and his wife are working very hard, but raising a small child is a very expensive proposition. We know this. We had the same scenarios and challenges. Believe me millenials... you'll get there....it may take thirty-five years, but that's how long it took us too......

Old 02-08-2019, 09:21 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
good discussion topic. if you look at liberal colleges for example, students are terrified of guest speakers do not reflect what they hear in their echo chambers. thats just one example.
And a very poor example at that.
Why should students support the idea of wing-nut fear mongers getting paid to preach hatred to them on their own campus? It's not like these are good or profound ideas. It has nothing to do with free speech -- there are plenty of right-wing talk radio venues for that.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:28 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Individualism to conservatives = freedom to live exactly as they dictate everyone should. These MAGA conservatives are everything they think the left is. Spiteful, vindictive, and very authoritarian.

I don't tell anyone how to live.

As long as what you do doesn't hurt anyone or affect me, or my family in a negative way.....do whatever you want.

Just don't try to make me pay for it.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:38 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I'm a millennial and I have my own business you have no idea what you are even talking about. I also don't care about hoarding money for the sake of hoarding like many right wingers do.

It's called investing, not hoarding. It's how people retire early. You might want to try it, if your business is ever successful.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:47 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
And a very poor example at that.
Why should students support the idea of wing-nut fear mongers getting paid to preach hatred to them on their own campus? It's not like these are good or profound ideas. It has nothing to do with free speech -- there are plenty of right-wing talk radio venues for that.
You prove our point of silencing free speech. Most of the hate, my friend, is coming from the left.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:50 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Even as a more socially liberal person, I have wondered why the need to have riots every time Ben Shapiro or whoever comes around. Unless they're advocating direct violence against people, let them have their say; you don't have to agree or attend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies