Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 01:33 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I love these California-bashing threads. Hopefully it will keep people from moving here, we have more than enough people. In point of fact, I think the majority of us "poor" Californians are quite happy here. Sure, the insane Democrat policies drive me nuts, but I just ignore them. Housing costs are crazy, but my house is paid off, so it doesn't bother me at all. Taxes are high, but you make more money here so it's a wash. Traffic is a mess, but I work for myself and can choose when to be on the freeways. We have a TON of Mexican folks here (legal & illegal) and I have found the vast majority of them to be the nicest people you would care to meet. We have gangs, but I don't go to those neighborhoods. We have a TON of homeless people, but I just drive by them. If you live up in the hills, you might get fires & floods, but I don't live up in the hills. What we DON'T have are hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, humidity, snow, icy roads, rotting cars, rain (though I kinda like rain) and BUGS. I haven't seen as much as a mosquito in 45 years. And here's the best part, at least for me. Last Saturday, in JANUARY, I spent the day sailing my boat off the coast in 80 degree weather. You just can't beat that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcADqxnQA_4
Newsflash, the L.A. the song portrays is long gone. Randy needs to make another video showing L.A. like it is today, not in the 1980s. They are as different as day and night, except for the palm trees.
If you weren't in SoCal before 1990, you have no way of knowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 01:37 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
A nationwide right to work law would help, or a ban on collective bargaining for public sector unions.

If the SCOTUS strikes down mandatory fees to unions that would do a lot to help California as it would castrate the public unions who are ruining the state.

Also overturning Citizen's United would mean that union contributions to political candidates could be restricted by law.
So you want unions gotten rid of or at least weakened in order to drive down the cost of labor and benefits for employers?

Old 01-16-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
California's incomes aren't the problem. It's the taxes and prices. A $250,000 income don't mean squat if a gallon of gas costs $15, a starter 2br/1bath shack/house costs $2Mil and, your taxes go directly to illegal immigrant welfare.
Why do you believe it's true that a gallon of gas cost $15 in California? Hell, why not make it $20 a gallon?

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Real estate prices are crazy. Just bought a 3 br home here in Missouri, completely remodeled on the inside for just under $40,000. Sent a friend in California pictures of it. He said it would bring at least $225,000 there. How does anyone afford a house?
um what year are you writing us from?

median home price in missouri is $140,000

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So you want unions gotten rid of or at least weakened in order to drive down the cost of labor and benefits for employers?
No thanks. I love and appreciate my union (and union wages).

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
One thing I have seen with such requirements is that this increases the value of the property, thus the real property tax (which obviously CA needs) and the downside being when people figure this out, they either go about it illegally or don't bother improving the properties at all or even attempting to keep them up if it adds to the tax bill. Permits can be very expensive also.

CA is spiraling down. There is nothing anyone outside the state and little the minority in the state can do to stop it. I don't know where it will all end. Flushing out the illegal aliens would go a long way in reducing the poverty, but illegal aliens are building the state for the wealthy. Interesting to watch the rise and fall of CA though.

The California Dreamers are at it again. So much resentment, that they're not able to be there, themselves.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Not knowing the clique of which areas are good or not to live in I took a look at homes around Marina Del Rey. Many 1500 sq ft homes are in the million dollar range. The housing market is absolutely crazy in CA, no one can deny that.
I bet homes are a lot cheaper in Barstow, but few people want to live there. Instead, they dream of living in Marina Del Rey.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
another day another attack on CA by one of the extreme right wing posters.... nothing new just more unsupported made up bs intended to divide and keep the cult roiled up.
So true. The extreme right have to go to extreme false lengths to make California sound bad, such as the state having gas at $15 gallon.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
No thanks. I love and appreciate my union (and union wages).
Yeah, I bet most people who are against unions have never been in one.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:58 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Waiting for someone to say "California has the sixth largest economy and our tax dollars subsidize states dependent on the government".

Well I hope they like paying for their million dollar home and being taxed to death.
I'm sure your wish for their happiness comes right from your heart.

I can't imagine anyone who wants to live in Kansas, North Dakota, Minnesota, South Dakota, Ohio, etc....but you know what -- lots do and have a great life and choose to live there and what I want isn't what someone else wants and trade offs exist everywhere we live.

I'm so happy in my choice I can't imagine taking the time to trash someone else for theirs...I'm sure you feel the same way.

When you are happy in your choices -- you hope that everyone gets to feel the same way.

Happy New Year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies