Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 11:23 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
States do not ask for permits, the cities do, and some cities across the nation require permits for pretty much everything, while other cities are not too concerned. Some cities in Florida require permits for everything, but people don't bother with them for something like re-tiling bathrooms.
What city in Florida requires a permit to tile your bathroom ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 11:25 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
California is the poorest state in the Union. You won't hear that in the "mainstream" media, but when you look at the "red ink" compared to the black, it's true.

High taxes, excess regulation, high energy costs, are taking their toll.

What got my attention in this video, as a retired ceramic tile contractor here in Ohio, is that in California a permit is required just to re-tile your bathroom! Now, when we lived in California, we did a lot of work in our house ourselves (I had experience working in construction with my brothers-in-law), including installing tile in both bathrooms, and installing some laminate flooring in the kitchen. I suppose today we would have been require to get a permit! At the time we did it, a permit wasn't required, and here in Ohio, we did tile work for 20 years, building walk in showers, tub surrounds, counter tops, floors, and wall tile. No permits were required (and we did some of this for a local home improvement store as their installer, so I know it wasn't required by law).

Imagine a homeowner wanting to do something as simple as re-tiling a bathroom, and having to get a permit to do it! Insane!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn1fxChSbYk
Anyone in California can re-tile their bathroom w/o a permit- who's going to know?

Old 01-16-2018, 11:29 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
The illegal aliens are destroying California..

I was born there but would never move back.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:32 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
The illegal aliens are destroying California..

I was born there but would never move back.
The public sector unions are doing more damage than the illegals. They are actually to blame for damage that the illegals have done, as more illegals mean more unionized public sector jobs.

I would rather live in a state with illegals and no public unions, than a state with public unions and no illegals.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:35 AM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
None of these things are even remotely close to the truth. Carry on...

Not knowing the clique of which areas are good or not to live in I took a look at homes around Marina Del Rey. Many 1500 sq ft homes are in the million dollar range. The housing market is absolutely crazy in CA, no one can deny that.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:37 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,070 times
Waiting for someone to say "California has the sixth largest economy and our tax dollars subsidize states dependent on the government".

Well I hope they like paying for their million dollar home and being taxed to death.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:38 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Sure there are certain improvements/changes that need a permit. But tiling your bathroom ?
CA has gone a bit overboard in their quest for new revenue streams.
A home owner can easily tile a bathroom, too, and everything one needs to know to do it right is free at places like Home Depot, or you can find videos online. It's not rocket science. It's simply a matter of using the right materials and installing according to directions. The hardest part may be mixing a bucket of mortar and lifting a few boxes of tile. Home Depot will even rent you the wet saw.

I suspect there are more so-called "handyman" installers that would cut corners to save a few bucks and do a poor installation than there are homeowners doing it themselves. But even a home owner can avoid a crappy "handyman" installer if he checks online in advance to find out how it's supposed to be done, and then "interviews" potential installers to find out what they plan to do.

Also, a permit is no guarantee of getting it right either. Our fist home in California was built by Pardee Construction Company, who developed most of Mira Mesa in San Diego. The original tile in the bathroom shower was installed over drywall! Guess what? The tile literally fell off the wall after the drywall got wet. I'm sure Durockā„¢ was available in those days too, or something similar.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 01-16-2018 at 11:47 AM..

Old 01-16-2018, 11:40 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Anyone in California can re-tile their bathroom w/o a permit- who's going to know?
Right.

Besides ():

Projects that DO NOT need a building permit are simple surface (cosmetic) projects; minor repairs and replacements; and minor site improvements or small structures.

In alignment with the 2016 California Building Code Section 105, here are the most common
projects that do not require a building permit:

SURFACE IMPROVEMENTS
1. Cabinet refacing or replacement without changing walls, plumbing, or electrical configurations
2. Countertop replacement
3. Decorative tile installations
4. Floor finishes such as carpet, linoleum, tile, etc.
5. Floor sheathing repairs up to 10 square feet
6. Painting
7. “Non Rated” sheetrock locations
MINOR REPAIRS AND REPLACEMENTS
8. Appliance repairs that do not alter the appliance’s original approval and listing
9. Electrical circuit breaker and fuse replacements (do get a permit to replace a main disconnect)
10. Electrical outlet replacements
11. Electrical switch replacements in existing boxes
12. Faucet or toilet repair or replacement
13. Roof repairs or replacements that are less than 25% of existing roof; do not involve the
underlying framing; and occur no more than once in a 12-month period
14. Window replacements that do not alter the window frame, nailing flange, or existing
weather protection

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-16-2018 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-16-2018, 11:48 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
What city in Florida requires a permit to tile your bathroom ?
I don't know if they require it for that particular project, but some cities here in FL are very picky with permits. We gave up on expanding our kitchen because it would have required 5, or more separate permits. It turns out that the OP claim about CA requiring one was bogus anyway. A permit is not required in CA for re-tiling a bathroom.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:49 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times
I'm not for illegal aliens, but I will say one thing: Most drywall finishers are Mexican in California, and nobody does a better job or is faster than those Mexican crews that do drywall. I have construction experience out there, so I know, and when we remodeled our home, it was a Mexican crew that did the drywall. I have zero complaints about the work they did, and they were FAST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies