Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is at fault for the shutdown?
House/Senate Majority Republicans 138 37.50%
Democrats 171 46.47%
Both 59 16.03%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 12:50 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
This whole shutting down the government threats need to go away. You pay your bills. If your bills are too high you need to increase revenues and/or cut spending.
I agree with this totally too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 12:51 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
The Dems do not see illegals as illegals -- they, and their chain migration family members, are future democrat voters.
Millions of them.....
The Republicans can put some teeth into E-Verify and make employers who neglect to use it and hire undocumented workers criminally liable. But they won't do that, because they see these illegals as a good source of cheap labor. Millions of them...

Old 01-18-2018, 12:53 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The Republicans can put some teeth into E-Verify and make employers who neglect to use it and hire undocumented workers criminally liable. But they won't do that, because they see these illegals as a good source of cheap labor. Millions of them...
By far the best way to attack the issue of people coming here illegally is to take away their source of income when they get here. No sane human being is going to risk a border crossing if there is no work for them when they get here.

The wall becomes completely irrelevant if you actually address the core fundamental issue - which is employment in the US.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:56 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
We are in a thread about DACA. Please, let's stay on topic.

And your friends are not an accurate representation of the citizens of the US...

I advise you come back to reality - you are in the minority opinion in the US. I realize that bothers you, and I'm sorry. Sometimes reality is not in alignment with what you believe.
I wasn't the one posting the polls. I just answered. DACA people are illegals. They are also criminals. Thanks for telling us we don't count. We counted election night.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:57 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I wasn't the one posting the polls. I just answered. DACA people are illegals. They are also criminals.
The polls are specifically about DACA. This is a thread about DACA. They are very much on topic.

You're welcome to your opinion on the matter, but it is in the small minority.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:02 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
We are in a thread about DACA.
Actually it's a thread about Democrat intransigence and their threats to shut down the government if they don't get everything they want. DACA is just the excuse du jour.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:04 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
They are the slaughterhouse workers, the landscapers, the nannies, the housekeepers, the janitors, the roofers, the drywall installers, ...

They rich keep the Republican base riled up with their talk of the wall, but in reality they want these folks here to work cheap and drive down wages.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:05 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Actually it's a thread about Democrat intransigence and their threats to shut down the government if they don't get everything they want. DACA is just the excuse du jour.
You have been misinformed. The Democrats do not have the power to shut down the government.

Republicans can pass this CR on their own.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:06 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The excuse is laying this on Democrats when Republicans control all of the government. Period.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:07 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Okay so you have roughly 560,000 people. Each one has to be paying roughly $3500 in Federal taxes. Plausible, until you start subtracting all the tax credits they have available.

Sorry, while they might pay more in than I thought, I still think they are taking more than they are putting in.

Now that being said. If they are following the requirements then fast tract them legal status. But end the program. We need to focus more on illegal immigration rather than the ones we've invited here then changed the rules.
I suspect that FICA and Medicare are being included in the revenue figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies