Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your attitude toward sex robots? (This a multiple-choice anonymous poll)
I hope that sex with robots is seen, overall, as a sort of shameful perversion. 9 8.74%
I hope sex with robots is seen, overall, a just another form of sexual diversity; ideally there should be no bad stigma. 45 43.69%
Ideally, I would love to see legislation making sex robots illegal. 2 1.94%
I don't think sex robots will have an significant impact on society. 29 28.16%
I think that sex robots will soon generate a flurry of debates and will have major social impact. 15 14.56%
I have no interest in the technology, or in any debates generated by it. 20 19.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 01:20 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't really have strong feelings about the sex-bots one way or the other, but it is silly to think that they are going to stop rapists.
Actually, there's a lot of discussion going on about that.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/sex-rob...urage-10740770

Heads-up, this link is NSFW. Publishers love to load these articles with pictures.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:32 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,049 times
Quote:
I don't really have strong feelings about the sex-bots one way or the other, but it is silly to think that they are going to stop rapists.
I agree it is silly to think that sex-bots will stop all rapes, or even a majority of rapes, but I think that empirical studies would be needed before we can assume more than that. In other words, sex-bots might stop some rapes, but psychological theories backed by empirical data would be needed to give a better idea of how many (10%, 20%? etc.)

Old 01-23-2018, 01:38 PM

25,749 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I agree it is silly to think that sex-bots will stop all rapes, or even a majority of rapes, but I think that empirical studies would be needed before we can assume more than that. In other words, sex-bots might stop some rapes, but psychological theories backed by empirical data would be needed to give a better idea of how many (10%, 20%? etc.)
Most rape is about having power over others and victimizing others. So, it's more than just "sex." If it were just sex... a hand would do. So, maybe, just maybe, a sex doll might stop some rapes. But I'd think that would be pretty minimal. There is something else broken inside a rapist's mind beyond just wanting to have sex with anything having two legs. A criminal mind like that probably wouldn't be in any way satisfied by a sex doll or robot. But... maybe. And if it could prevent just one rape, then that has to be a good thing.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:48 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I agree, however there is quite the comparison... At face value yes, they are losers. But dig deeper. Why are they losers and are they losers at all?

Women are eliminating the human element of being in a relationship via sex toys.

Men are doing the same...

However, what does that say for women if men want to create a faux woman? Or vise versa?
The ideal partner?

Seriously. What does that say for women if men want to create a fake ideal being out of thin air?

What would that say for men if women wanted to do the same?

It would reflect badly on the men that are available on the market now wouldn't it?
I would say absolutely. It would show that women are fed up with men. That we are insufferable and there is something we need to do to appeal to them over a faux man...
Actually, many sex toys are purchased by couples, for their mutual enjoyment.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:13 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Actually, there's a lot of discussion going on about that.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/sex-rob...urage-10740770

Heads-up, this link is NSFW. Publishers love to load these articles with pictures.
Okay, that's disturbing, and I think perhaps where the line should be drawn. I know they are just robots, but programming them to arouse by resisting sounds like something that could possibly desensitize some users to resistance by real women. I am not saying that it WILL, but it doesn't seem terribly far-fetched, either. I have serious issues with sex dolls or bots that look like children for the same reason.

Some cravings get worse, and not better, the more they are fed.

Overall, I think the bots are morally neutral in and of themselves, but how they should be used raises a lot of interesting questions.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:18 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
Dr Oz has a show on now that is about these sexbots.

They actually make a sexbot that is programmed to resist a man’s sexual advances.

A sex robot for a man to rape!!!!

This is just plain sick
I would say something else, but I would be permanently banned from here

Old 01-23-2018, 02:46 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Does Trump know about this. Going high tech sex would certainly save on hush money.
how much do we really know about "Melania"?

Old 01-23-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Dr Oz has a show on now that is about these sexbots.

They actually make a sexbot that is programmed to resist a man’s sexual advances.
Perhaps sexual surrogates will want to buy sex-bots to help with their sex-therapy sessions? Just a thought.

Anyway, I think the jury is still out on the concept of "catharsis" - whether or not role-play or acting out has some therapeutic value, or does it just make it worse?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_surrogate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharsis

BTW: I should mention that a cornerstone of biology is diversity; this is not a "one-size-fits-all" sort of world. So sex-bots might help some people and prevent some rapes, but it could also lead others into various sorts of dark places and end up creating problems with relationship dysfunction, addition, rape, etc. This is where I think we just can't predict the net effects based on theory alone. We would need empirical data to see how things play out, on balance, in the real world.

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 01-23-2018 at 05:07 PM..

Old 01-23-2018, 05:34 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Why would anyone buy a whole robot for sex when you can combine all the useful parts into a package you can fit in your pocket, purse, or briefcase?

Old 01-24-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Actually, many sex toys are purchased by couples, for their mutual enjoyment.
I suppose this might be a way for couples who want to stay monogamous to explore the idea of a threesome, or to address some bisexual urges, or simply to spice up their sex life a bit. I'm wondering how those who find robot sex yucky and/or would like to see sex-bots be illegal would feel about this sort of "sex toy in the context of monogamous marriage" type of usage? Still just as yucky? Still just as worthy of being banned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies