Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 08:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,877,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Anzari is a creep, and how sad that some are so eager to strike back against the "metoo" movement that they automatically side with Anzari and characterize what happened as a simple 'bad date.'

As always, blame the woman. Oh, she willingly went up to the room to have sex, so her fault. Etc.

The guy repeatedly tried to coerce her to have sex until she relented. Sure, she could ultimately have said no and leave, but sometimes in that moment not everyone reacts the same.

How fitting he didn't show up for the SAG ceremony and glad many didn't clap at his name. If it were truly just about a harmless bad date, then Anzari would have showed up. He knows what he did was creepy and he's hardly the innocent comedian/actor people make him out to be. He thinks he could use his celebrity status to have women readily have sex with him, and when he comes across hesitant, resistant women, like a predator he uses various techniques to try to break them down.

Anyone that blindly supports him, speaks a lot about their character.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/1/1...ns-babe-me-too
She chose to meet him at his apartment. He served white wine. She prefers red but said nothing. Yet, the wine thing seems to carry the same weight as what followed.

They went out for dinner.

She chose to return to his apartment after dinner. What unspoken signal did her choice to return to his apartment send to Aziz?

They made out. She chose to participate. He asked for oral sex. She chose to perform oral sex. What unspoken signals did her choice to make out and engage in oral sex send to Aziz?

Nothing was forced.

She declined to take it further. He called her an Uber.

No mention of her role and responsibility in the evening. Instead, the anonymous woman subsequently claimed it was the worst night of her life. Babe.net ran the story because Aziz is a celebrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 08:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,877,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
If what he did is so horribly wrong, where is the police report from the accuser?

I admit he did gross, socially unacceptable things, but they are a far cry from the likes of a Bill Cosby or Harry Weinstein, there needs to be a clear difference between being sleazy (not a crime) and a predator/criminal.
Gross, unacceptable things?

She could have declined to return to his apartment after dinner- after having spent just a few hours with him. Did she think they were going to talk about cameras?

She could have clutched her pearls and left once it became apparent he misread her agreement to return to his apartment. Instead, she performed oral sex on him, sending out another signal she was game to take it further.

She chose to ignore her responsibility for the outcome of the evening.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:46 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,861,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The vast majority of #metoo is wonderful, completely valid and long overdue.

The problem is that we're seeing some small segment of accusations that are going to inevitably include those seeking cash, attention, have mental issues or are just jilted etc.

I think we have to make sure that we respectfully consider peoples claims but at the same time not resort to some sort of knee jerk mob mentality.

It all goes back to just treating people like we ourselves would like to be treated. It's pretty simple.
I agree with this.

In regards to Ansari, I do, in a way feel bad for him, but I also think that he and other men should go the route like Tavis Smiley did and make a statement in the public about some persons skewing situations that are not assault/harassment/rape into said situations with no basis for those accusations. Ansari's situation is tame even in comparison to Smiley.

It is sad to me that so many people are....I can only say making light of sexual assault and harassment by claiming that misunderstandings and dating stumbles should be characterized the same way. Rape and what occurred with Ansari are totally different situations and acting like they are the same diminishes the impact that rape and harassment can have on individuals lives.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:14 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,114,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Aziz Ansari Skips SAG Awards 2018 After Sexual Encounter Controversy | PEOPLE.com

Not only did he not attend, but when his name was announced with the rest of the nominees apparently the audience visibly didn't clap for him.

All it takes to ruin a man's life nowadays is to simply accuse them of something. No proof required.
If you are a bit of celebrity/tv/movie junkie you know that overwhelmingly people have spoken in support of Ansari. I'm sure he did skip the SAG awards because of the whole mess but he will be okay.

It was hard to tell if the audience didn't clap for him or if they conveniently cut away.

This too shall pass.

I think he will be okay.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:16 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,114,218 times
Unfortunately whenever there is some kind of movement to correct some kind of wrong behaviour the pendulum swings too far & there are unfortunately consequences.

I think that things will settle down. It will become clear what is the problem and how to address it. Sure some people still will abuse the movement -- we are human beings and flawed -- it happens.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:59 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,411,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
He didn't deny what happened.

I don't think he did anything wrong, but others feel differently, and are free to respond how they feel comfortable.

I doubt that missing the SAG awards, and not having people clap for him is really ruining his life though. He himself has stated that he still supports the #Metoo movement.
Nothing of any significance happened is the entire point.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:04 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,411,038 times
Quote:

The problem is that we're seeing some small segment of accusations that are going to inevitably include those seeking cash, attention, have mental issues or are just jilted etc.

I think we have to make sure that we respectfully consider peoples claims but at the same time not resort to some sort of knee jerk mob mentality.

It all goes back to just treating people like we ourselves would like to be treated. It's pretty simple.
Except that the "movement" will never be able to exert that type of fine-control, because at its core its a mob's movement that willfully ignores the utility of the well developed and hard won concept of due process.

In the end, this inability to control itself will destroy it and its supporter's political clout. The push-back is large and simmering under the surface. It may take a while to manifest in a visible manner, but this type of internet enabled regression to pre-judicial mob action will eventually be legislated out of existence by whatever means necessary. Society won't survive it, which is the exact reason why it'll eventually be snuffed out.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:08 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,245,767 times
Quote:

I think one of the least likely places for your closing sentiment to occur is in a digital swarm on Twitter.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:18 PM

8,655 posts, read 10,198,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Anzari is a creep, and how sad that some are so eager to strike back against the "metoo" movement that they automatically side with Anzari and characterize what happened as a simple 'bad date.'

As always, blame the woman. Oh, she willingly went up to the room to have sex, so her fault. Etc.

The guy repeatedly tried to coerce her to have sex until she relented. Sure, she could ultimately have said no and leave, but sometimes in that moment not everyone reacts the same.

How fitting he didn't show up for the SAG ceremony and glad many didn't clap at his name. If it were truly just about a harmless bad date, then Anzari would have showed up. He knows what he did was creepy and he's hardly the innocent comedian/actor people make him out to be. He thinks he could use his celebrity status to have women readily have sex with him, and when he comes across hesitant, resistant women, like a predator he uses various techniques to try to break them down.

Anyone that blindly supports him, speaks a lot about their character.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/1/1...ns-babe-me-too
Even the ladies of 'The View" disagree with your "assessment".

Old 01-29-2018, 12:23 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,303,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
yes many feel regretted sex or a woman being "uncomfortable" in any definition is rape. Which is a scary path we are going down
they should expand the definition of rape to active resistance too if they are conscious and able

being uncomfortable is an easy way to just accuse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies