Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should non-essential government workers be paid after a shutdown?
Yes 115 64.25%
No 64 35.75%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 01:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,836,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't get paid when I don't work and I don't know why anyone should be.
Lots of people do depending on the reason they cannot work, even "evil" Walmart paid to many employees when they shutdown for hurricane Irma. My lowly construction job out of high school gave reduced pay when weather prevented us from working, and my current job (salaried) pays when unable to work due to events like a hurricane, or when I worked in the office, a fire that the sprinkler system caused a lot of water damage.

As a note, I think gov workers should get paid for the furlough, even Trump thought they should, that is why he authorized it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 01:12 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,645,055 times
They should get unemployment during their furlough only, just like people in the private section.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:13 PM

18,037 posts, read 27,484,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
There are some essential government workers (such as the military, medical staff in VA hospitals, etc) who obviously should get back pay since they did go to work during a shutdown.

But should non-essential government workers who are furloughed get back pay? Shouldn't they have to use their vacation time? Is it fair to the "essential" workers that the non-essential ones are paid just to stay home? Is it fair to the American taxpayer to pay them for not working? And then they probably can argue they need "overtime" to catch up on the work during the shutdown........

I personally think federal workers who didn't actually work during a shutdown shouldn't get paid.
Yes. We should have to pay billions of dollars for these shutdowns. Actually, I don't think we have a choice.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:20 PM

11,352 posts, read 16,719,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
In the private sector .......

When a Union calls a strike and the company shuts down (except for essential jobs) - the Union Employees are not paid and the non-union employees are not paid. They can take paid vacation days if they have them.

Why should TaxPayer funded jobs be any different?
Because unlike a Union, the gov't workers had no choice in the shutdown.

BTW...I'm not a Union employee.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:25 PM

45,241 posts, read 26,477,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Because unlike a Union, the gov't workers had no choice in the shutdown.

BTW...I'm not a Union employee.
they made a choice to work for the taxpayers and the taxpayers arent getting what they paid for.
Mc donalds cant dip into my paycheck for a cheeseburger I didnt buy, nor should the fedguv.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
My wife is getting paid for her furloughed day, and she damn well should. Just because the Congress and the president are idiots, it shouldn’t cost my wife over $370 bucks.

If Congress got paid, then everyone else in the federal government should get paid.

Don’t like it? Too bad.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:06 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,885,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
My wife is getting paid for her furloughed day, and she damn well should. Just because the Congress and the president are idiots, it shouldn’t cost my wife over $370 bucks.

If Congress got paid, then everyone else in the federal government should get paid.

Don’t like it? Too bad.
Sounds authoritarian. I don't think the government (we) should pay your wife for a day she didn't work. Don't like it? Too bad.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Sounds authoritarian. I don't think the government (we) should pay your wife for a day she didn't work. Don't like it? Too bad.
But you ARE gonna pay it, and since you’re on here chirping about your disapproval, I’m gonna withdraw that day’s wage of $370 bucks on a Thursday the week after next (when it comes in) and spend it in your honor on a great dinner, and maybe some clothes shopping.

Anything else? Of course, I could withdraw it today and do it, but I wanna spend the money earned on THAT DAY just to rub it in.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:17 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,503,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
They should get unemployment during their furlough only, just like people in the private section.
uhm...

Quote:
According to the Department of Labor, after you file a claim, it will take approximately two to three weeks before you see your first benefit check. you will have a one-week waiting period between the time you become unemployed and when you first become eligible for benefits. You will not receive unemployment compensation for this week. After the waiting period, it generally takes an additional week to process your claim. (source DOL)
so what claim could ANYBODY put in for a 3 day shutdown.... or even a 1 week shutdown???

Old 01-28-2018, 12:44 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,885,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Absolutely they should. Your average IT guy, finance analyst, and park ranger has no control over the idiots in Washington who decided to shutdown the government. They have no control whatsoever over not being able to go to work. They can and will be paid retroactively once gov't is back up and running.

If you don't like it, get a federal job so you too can have a "paid vacation" during a gov't shutdown. The money they were going to be paid is already part of the gov't budget anyway, so it's not like we're shelling out extra tax dollars to pay them retroactively.
The IT guy, finance analyst, and park ranger absolutely have control over their lives. They can choose to work elsewhere and therefore not be subject to things like this.

Your conclusion is to pay people who didn't work? Throw the peoples money away and be wasteful and if you don't like it just join the same corrupt organization.
Ain't big government a thing of beauty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies