Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 01:12 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,279,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Suzy,

That link did not come up.

I think what it boils down to is whether we should error on the side of caution or play Russian roulette.

I have no vested interest this year in the vaccine; I am not working for personal reasons. But anybody that wants to gamble on catching this virus is stupid. Years ago, when I was driving long distance truck, I had one heck of case of the flu. I never thought that I would live to make it home. It can really wipe you out. If anybody has ever suffered from a severe case they would not wish it on themselves or their loved ones - if there was any way to avoid it. Maybe the vaccine is not 100% perfect; but anything that can help is worth taking that chance.
same thing happened to me, years ago, the flu, it was horrible...so after that, I decided to get the shot...and I'm on the fence about vaccines, I don't know what to believe, however, I'm not taking any chances, if it's readily there for me. Haven't turned into a zombie yet, (that I know of) ?

Old 02-06-2018, 01:36 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
30% efficacy is garbage. .
I've seen the estimates range from 10% to 17% to 30%. No one really knows but its not very good for this year. That is certain.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:39 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
This is just really, really weird.
It's because you can't see it.

It's very clear to me.

When was the last time you watched the news and the news wasn't telling you:
1. How horrendous the flu is [pics of someone washing something, someone coughing, doctor looking stern, etc.]
2. News spokesperson saying, "GOOD for YOU , for those of YOU already HAD your FLU SHOT!!!!"
3. News spokesperson saying, "For the rest of you, IT"S NOT TOO LATE!! There is still time! GO GET YOUR FLU SHOT!!!"

You are being brainwashed, nigh after night after night.

How do you NOT see that? THAT's what's weird. /shrug/

Old 02-06-2018, 01:41 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
It's because you can't see it.

It's very clear to me.

When was the last time you watched the news and the news wasn't telling you:
1. How horrendous the flu is [pics of someone washing something, someone coughing, doctor looking stern, etc.]
2. News spokesperson saying, "GOOD for YOU , for those of YOU already HAD your FLU SHOT!!!!"
3. News spokesperson saying, "For the rest of you, IT"S NOT TOO LATE!! There is still time! GO GET YOUR FLU SHOT!!!"

You are being brainwashed, nigh after night after night.

How do you NOT see that? THAT's what's weird. /shrug/

Well, I don't watch the news for starters, so that kinda negates all that hogwash above.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-06-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I've seen the estimates range from 10% to 17% to 30%. No one really knows but its not very good for this year. That is certain.
I've seen those too.

I use the 30% stat because that is directly from the CDC.

Which makes me feel like the lower stats are accurate, because CDC is most likely presenting best case scenario. It's likely lower than 30%, no question.

That's my common sense analysis, although I know common sense isn't too popular these days, lol.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't watch the news for starters, so that kinda negates all that hogwash above.
Yes, if you ignore it, it doesn't exist.

Good policy.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:56 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I get what you're saying...however, the spread of the flu is a bit different then the spread of other germs from playing in the dirt.

If a person with the flu coughs and expels something on your desk and you touch that and then touch your mouth, you've swallowed the flu. In this case, handwashing is a good thing during flu season.

I'm not a big hand sanitizer or wipes user during most of the year, but I am careful at this time.
I definitely didn't mean for people to not wash their hands during the flu season. Was just wondering how much of my kids' immunity to colds and flu stems from their exposure, not only to the bacteria and micro organisms, but to other kids who may have been infected. Schools can be major sickness spreaders. Could just be fortunate genetics, too.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:00 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Yes, if you ignore it, it doesn't exist.

Good policy.

Game playing at it's finest, first "YOUR SCARED BECAUSE YOU ARE BOMBARDED BY THE NEWS" and then when you find out I don't watch the news "Yes you ignore it so it doesn't exist. Good policy".

I am not physically capable of rolling my eyes up far enough to adequately register my disdain.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-06-2018, 02:40 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
same thing happened to me, years ago, the flu, it was horrible...so after that, I decided to get the shot...and I'm on the fence about vaccines, I don't know what to believe, however, I'm not taking any chances, if it's readily there for me. Haven't turned into a zombie yet, (that I know of) ?
I'm 71 now and back in the early 1970's the military lined us up. One would vaccinate us in one arm and one in the other arm. Then they were using pneumatic injectors. If I recall correctly and you were staying stateside; you received 13 vaccinations. If you were going overseas I think you got 26 shots. They did not ask us to talk it over first. As a matter of fact the man in front of me flinched and blood immediately started running down his arm and dripping off his fingertips - then they hollered "next"! I held very still! The pneumatic injectors would cut you if you moved.

I still have about three very small potholes in my arms from something that was given for the plague (I think). But I am still alive and ticking for the time being. I have a feeling the OP will worry himself to death long before he reaches my age!

Old 02-06-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Game playing at it's finest, first "YOUR SCARED BECAUSE YOU ARE BOMBARDED BY THE NEWS" and then when you find out I don't watch the news "Yes you ignore it so it doesn't exist. Good policy"..
The thread title is:
Is the current "shock value" flu reports on news channels designed only to get people to get the flu shot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies