Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 08:27 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
N

The smallpox vaccine made a lot of people sick. I vaguely recall getting sick from it myself. However, that doesn't mean a flu shot will make you sick. I've been a flu shot administrator and I've heard this story many times: "I never got a flu shot and then one year I got the flu. (Follows with a description of their flu experience.) Now I get one every year. I never want that again. My daughter got a bad flu at age 9 and said that! If you work outside the home, you should really consider getting vaccinated. Even if you stay home, you'll still be exposed when you go out in public. Adults are contagious for a day before they have symptoms, and kids can be contagious for several days for showing symptoms.

Oh, I don't believe that I will get the "flu" from a flu shot. I am saying I am one of those people who has a rare hypersensitivity to everything.

Most vaccines I've ever had have caused prolonged reactions. An injection of a newer drug to monitor my thyroid cancer cause a reaction that had to be reported to the FDA.

I can no longer take many medications due to sensitivities in the fillers (rashes, bumps).

Side effects occur on just about 100% of things I take.

I am concerned that receiving a flu shot will cause me to feel poorly for longer than the 24 hours they say could happen and maybe something worse. I am in my 50s so when I was a child it was not a "thing" to get flu shots. Once they started advocating for everyone I was at a point that I was having issues with everything.

I am not against flu shots nor am I an anti-vaxxer. I believe most of them work. But it's my personal reasons that stop me from the flu shot. Believe me, I have much anxiety over the whole thing.

While I'm not totally on board with the other poster's (newtovenice) stance, I do kind of get what they are saying. For years, my best friend and I have a joke about the news and flu. I think my local news does a 5 minute segment on it each night. They immediately jump to "run out and get your shot" and they give very little real information, which they could. It really does get people wound up. Whether this is some conspiracy or ploy to sell shots, I would like to think it's not, but they sure do come on REAL strong with this vaccine.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:43 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Right now we produce the vaccines we are licensed to produce. Those vaccines are formulated with from the strains chosen by the CDC. The CDC does the best they can do with the information they have; they are making these 'educated guesses' six month's in advance of the actual flu season.

The technology is changing and it will allow us to make vaccines quicker. That could mean that we might be able to produce vaccines as the virus mutates. Here is one link to one of the new products: FluBlok.

As far as "Seriously' both the links you gave tell people to still get the vaccine as well as taking steps to minimizing the exposure. Whether it is 30% or 10% it can still help lessen the severity of the disease if you catch it. It isn't only that; but the percentage, that does not get the flu because of the vaccine, does not spread the flu.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:55 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Right now we produce the vaccines we are licensed to produce. Those vaccines are formulated with from the strains chosen by the CDC. The CDC does the best they can do with the information they have; they are making these 'educated guesses' six month's in advance of the actual flu season.

The technology is changing and it will allow us to make vaccines quicker. That could mean that we might be able to produce vaccines as the virus mutates. Here is one link to one of the new products: FluBlok.

As far as "Seriously' both the links you gave tell people to still get the vaccine as well as taking steps to minimizing the exposure. Whether it is 30% or 10% it can still help lessen the severity of the disease if you catch it. It isn't only that; but the percentage, that does not get the flu because of the vaccine, does not spread the flu.
My seriously was is response to the "I can't find it" comment. Took me 20 seconds.

Of COURSE the "news" links are advertising the product. No one is denying that. It's the WHOLE POINT OF THIS THREAD.

Could you imagine how much the manufacturers would have to pay for this kind of ongoing, every night, every article, every report for 6 months of the year mentioning and directing consumers to go-buy-the-product advertising?

Billions of dollars.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

Question on the 6-month lead time and the vaccine.

Australia is wintering while we are summering. So starting back in April/May through September, they went through their winter and flu season using the same flu shot that we have today. For them, the flu shot was developed 6 months prior to their Winter, which would have been in late 2016/early 2017. Which means that by the time we are getting our flu season, we are using a vaccine that was developed 6 months prior to Australia's flu season.

It seems to me that in March/April when the flu started to hit in Australia and they knew that the vaccine missed the mark so to speak, that another vaccine should have been developed now that they knew the strains that would be heading over to the U.S.

Or am I just way off base here?

Old 02-07-2018, 09:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Because that's not what you found. I can't get the movie to "talk", so I'm guessing they said the same as the Time Mag article said: "The CDC estimates that the vaccine will be effective against roughly 30% of H3 viruses this year."

The CDC has not yet released its own figures. Seriously.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Oh, I don't believe that I will get the "flu" from a flu shot. I am saying I am one of those people who has a rare hypersensitivity to everything.

Most vaccines I've ever had have caused prolonged reactions. An injection of a newer drug to monitor my thyroid cancer cause a reaction that had to be reported to the FDA.

I can no longer take many medications due to sensitivities in the fillers (rashes, bumps).

Side effects occur on just about 100% of things I take.

I am concerned that receiving a flu shot will cause me to feel poorly for longer than the 24 hours they say could happen and maybe something worse. I am in my 50s so when I was a child it was not a "thing" to get flu shots. Once they started advocating for everyone I was at a point that I was having issues with everything.

I am not against flu shots nor am I an anti-vaxxer. I believe most of them work. But it's my personal reasons that stop me from the flu shot. Believe me, I have much anxiety over the whole thing.

While I'm not totally on board with the other poster's (newtovenice) stance, I do kind of get what they are saying. For years, my best friend and I have a joke about the news and flu. I think my local news does a 5 minute segment on it each night. They immediately jump to "run out and get your shot" and they give very little real information, which they could. It really does get people wound up. Whether this is some conspiracy or ploy to sell shots, I would like to think it's not, but they sure do come on REAL strong with this vaccine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Question on the 6-month lead time and the vaccine.

Australia is wintering while we are summering. So starting back in April/May through September, they went through their winter and flu season using the same flu shot that we have today. For them, the flu shot was developed 6 months prior to their Winter, which would have been in late 2016/early 2017. Which means that by the time we are getting our flu season, we are using a vaccine that was developed 6 months prior to Australia's flu season.

It seems to me that in March/April when the flu started to hit in Australia and they knew that the vaccine missed the mark so to speak, that another vaccine should have been developed now that they knew the strains that would be heading over to the U.S.

Or am I just way off base here?
Yeah, I got what you meant.

As far as the media, earlier this season they were touting this "only 10% effective in Australia" meme. I personally think this made many people question the utility of getting flu shots. So now they're going the other direction. But they are private enterprises, the government can't make them say anything. There is no conspiracy.

As far as your own personal issues, I think if you ever get a whopping case of the flu (still possible this season, the latest is there has been no "peak" yet), you'll change your mind.

Well, I think you are "off base", no offense meant. You might find this helpful:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season...-selection.htm

Old 02-07-2018, 09:12 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,742 times
Unfortunately, there's no way to vaccinate for stupid. The flu is another story. Don't want the vaccine? Fine, you deal with your personal consequences. But if you preach to others and increase the numbers who don't get vaccinated, you should share in the blame for people dying. And for those you infect when you DO get a flu virus & end up spreading it around.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Because that's not what you found. I can't get the movie to "talk", so I'm guessing they said the same as the Time Mag article said: "The CDC estimates that the vaccine will be effective against roughly 30% of H3 viruses this year."

The CDC has not yet released its own figures. Seriously.
I have said repeatedly that the CDC is saying 30% estimate. Did you not read the sentence that you wrote where you wrote and I am cutting and pasting YOUR OWN WORDS: "The CDC estimates that the vaccine will be effective against roughly 30% of H3 viruses this year."

So yes, I am correct. Thank you for the acknowledgement. Do you still believe the CDC is not providing the 30% estimate??? Or do you think the CDC is lying??? Not sure what it is that you are unable to comprehend here.

And, the Canadian health authorities have said 10-20% as indicated in the "news" er advertisement report. The Australian health authorities have said 10%.

Look them up.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-07-2018 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: unnecessary

Old 02-07-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Unfortunately, there's no way to vaccinate for stupid. The flu is another story. Don't want the vaccine? Fine, you deal with your personal consequences. But if you preach to others and increase the numbers who don't get vaccinated, you should share in the blame for people dying. And for those you infect when you DO get a flu virus & end up spreading it around.
People who get the vaccine also die.

So should the manufacturer be responsible for those deaths since it failed to provide protection in it's own product?

Unless the vaccine is 100% effective, no one can be held accountable for any flu deaths.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I got what you meant.

As far as the media, earlier this season they were touting this "only 10% effective in Australia" meme. I personally think this made many people question the utility of getting flu shots. So now they're going the other direction. But they are private enterprises, the government can't make them say anything. There is no conspiracy.

As far as your own personal issues, I think if you ever get a whopping case of the flu (still possible this season, the latest is there has been no "peak" yet), you'll change your mind.

Well, I think you are "off base", no offense meant. You might find this helpful:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season...-selection.htm

I believe I've had the flu 3 times but I don't know for sure. Once when I was 12, once in my 30s, and I believe I had it in March of 2016; however, I tested negative via swab (but I was in the doctors office about 6 hours after my very first symptom).

I do understand how they got to the 10%/Australia number--they don't vaccinate as much as we do. I am hearing that the B strain that is in the current vaccine may be up to 70 percent effective.

As to the CDC link and my question, I did see this:

Quote:
It takes at least six months to produce large quantities of influenza vaccine. For vaccine to be delivered in time for vaccination to begin in the fall, manufacturers may begin to grow one or more of the vaccine viruses in January based on their best guess as to what viruses are most likely to be included in the vaccine. For information about flu vaccine production, see How Influenza (Flu) Vaccines Are Made.
So in January, Australia would have been squarely in their summer and the flu didn't surface for them until March. Guess it was just really too late to do anything at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies