Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 06:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Right, which makes his work with meta-analysis and studies very appropriate.

Did he do the Tamiflu study before or after he testified as an expert witness against the makers? I'd love to see more specifics about that case.
And it makes it appropriate for infectious disease doctors to disagree with him on matters of infectious disease. He doesn't know ID. And why the dig at doctors who blog? I worked with many doctors; they all had hobbies. One flew airplanes, one was into biking, one was a runner, etc.

I don't know. Since you're so interested, why don't you do some "research". I really don't care.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:16 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And it makes it appropriate for infectious disease doctors to disagree with him on matters of infectious disease. He doesn't know ID. And why the dig at doctors who blog? I worked with many doctors; they all had hobbies. One flew airplanes, one was into biking, one was a runner, etc.

I don't know. Since you're so interested, why don't you do some "research". I really don't care.
Which doctors are you talking about and what are their criticisms with his findings specifically?

I can't find anything about his involvement in the Tamiflu lawsuit beyond what Suzy shared.
Edit: Never mind. Found it. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/11/op...be-secret.html

Interesting article.

Last edited by MissTerri; 02-07-2018 at 06:30 PM..

Old 02-07-2018, 07:59 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Good job on the google search. Did you bother to read the studies you found? Far less then half of them are actually studies related to autoimmune disease and vaccines in terms of vaccines exacerbating existing autoimmune disease or being a trigger. Some of them are not even studies. So while it may look like there are a ton of such studies, when you read what's available, you quickly realize that there's not a whole lot.

One of the studies (I found three to be fair after looking through a few pages) was from 2000 and said the following:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...96841199903463

So as of 2000 we had one controlled study on animals on this topic.

One of the other studies on this topic out of the three I was able to find in the search results was the Lancet article previously shared where all of the authors had strong connections to various pharmaceutical companies.
What bias was there in the Lancet article? Please be specific. Point out exactly what errors in the material were caused by "strong connections to various pharmaceutical companies". That article is a review, just like the reviews done by Jefferson. The authors used the same methods Jefferson did.

Quote:
Honestly there really isn't a lot on either side and much of it is not definitive, as in there are still a lot of unanswered questions in this realm.
Here's one though. Self-Organized Criticality Theory of Autoimmunity

And here's an example of how those unanswered questions may play role in the decision to give certain vaccines to individuals with specific autoimmune disease.
https://resources.lupus.org/entry/do...s-cause-flares

https://www.verywell.com/do-thyroid-...u-shot-3233145 Under the section titled: The Controversy About Immunization for*Autoimmune Patients
First link: mice.

Second link: recommends flu vaccine. Caution with live virus vaccines, which is standard procedure for people on immunosuppressant treatment. Says nothing about vaccines causing lupus. Flu itself can cause a flare of lupus symptoms.

Third link: Blogs are all right if you cite them, eh?

Nothing in your link supports any vaccine causing Hashimoto's disease or evidence that a vaccine will cause the condition to flare up. One of the people quoted says there is "potential" to do so but gives no supporting evidence.

Quote:
Which doctors are you talking about and what are their criticisms with his findings specifically?

I can't find anything about his involvement in the Tamiflu lawsuit beyond what Suzy shared.
Edit: Never mind. Found it. Drug Data Shouldn

Interesting article.
Doctors like Dr. Mark Crislip, whose "blog" you reject.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/yes...ated-atlantic/

Quote:
Right, which makes his work with meta-analysis and studies very appropriate.

Did he do the Tamiflu study before or after he testified as an expert witness against the makers? I'd love to see more specifics about that case.
Jefferson refuses to use anything but placebo controlled studies in his reviews. Dr. Crislip explains why that is inappropriate.

So even though Cochrane itself admits Jefferson has a conflict of interest about Tamiflu you refuse to believe it? Jefferson should either stay out of legal issues with Tamiflu or not pretend to write unbiased review articles about it.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:08 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Agree, and thank goodness we have exactly that, choice.

I have autoimmune disease too, but the first one showed up before I started getting the flu vax.

I get the vax because I take autoimmune suppressors so it is wise, though I don't get sick a lot.
Not everyone has a choice. My RN friend was forced to get the flu vaccine this year or be fired. Since she is a single mom, she didn't have a choice.

Her facility has required it for a few years and she has been able to avoid it until this year.

That's the issue with *voluntary.* It's always voluntary until the numbers aren't where they need to be. Then it's mandatory.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:38 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,279,972 times
I'm wondering if nursing home workers are made to get the flu shots? Because sometimes when the flu hits, it travels all throughout the nursing home and they have to shut it down for a while.

Just wondering?

Old 02-08-2018, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
IME, people got the idea that "good handwashing" was a substitute for a flu shot. It has now been determined that flu is spread simply by breathing; the person who is contagious (and may be so without symptoms for a day or so) does not have to cough or sneeze on other people or things they may touch to spread the disease.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0118142611.htm
""The study findings suggest that keeping surfaces clean, washing our hands all the time, and avoiding people who are coughing does not provide complete protection from getting the flu," said Sheryl Ehrman, Don Beall Dean of the Charles W. Davidson College of Engineering at San José State University. "Staying home and out of public spaces could make a difference in the spread of the influenza virus.""
No one would suggest not washing hands.

Getting a flu shot is certainly more efficacious than not. You can reduce your chances of getting flu by at least 10%, possibly more.
you are right and the proof is, my one girlfriend has a huge family....lots of kids and grand-kids, so when the holidays came around, when the kids were little, they were like little walking germs with hands and feet.
I remember one time, after the family left, she called me, and her and hubby were really sick with the flu. I had offered to take some over the counter stuff over to her, but she refused. None of the kids were sick.
but they carried it to them. I guess by a certain time, kids build up an immunity?

I find it interesting.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm wondering if nursing home workers are made to get the flu shots? Because sometimes when the flu hits, it travels all throughout the nursing home and they have to shut it down for a while.

Just wondering?
It may vary by state. New York State, where my MIL resides in an assisted care facility, does.

MIL had flu (confirmed by testing) about two weeks ago. She was in the hospital for three days. When she came back to the nursing home, to the rehab unit, several wings of the home were closed to visitors at various times. She was confined to her room until she finished a course of Tamiflu, but the wing she was on got hit by the flu about that time. One of the nurses told me all the residents were given a course of Tamiflu, including a second course for MIL. Her unit was reopened in only a few days.

I do not know whether the nurses and other staff were offered Tamiflu or not.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Not everyone has a choice. My RN friend was forced to get the flu vaccine this year or be fired. Since she is a single mom, she didn't have a choice.

Her facility has required it for a few years and she has been able to avoid it until this year.

That's the issue with *voluntary.* It's always voluntary until the numbers aren't where they need to be. Then it's mandatory.
She did not like the choice, but she did indeed have one.

I have a problem with an RN who refuses flu vaccine for any reason other than a medical one. To me, it indicates defective education and makes me wonder about how knowledgeable the person is in other areas.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It may vary by state. New York State, where my MIL resides in an assisted care facility, does.

MIL had flu (confirmed by testing) about two weeks ago. She was in the hospital for three days. When she came back to the nursing home, to the rehab unit, several wings of the home were closed to visitors at various times. She was confined to her room until she finished a course of Tamiflu, but the wing she was on got hit by the flu about that time. One of the nurses told me all the residents were given a course of Tamiflu, including a second course for MIL. Her unit was reopened in only a few days.

I do not know whether the nurses and other staff were offered Tamiflu or not.
what does Tamiflu do?

Does it really help?

Also thanks for the post....

Old 02-08-2018, 07:10 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You realize that there is a 70%-90% chance she would've died if she had the shot, right? Some people just die.

And if she was your best friend, how did she die alone with no one helping her if she had the deadly flu? Why wasn't she in the hospital?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight ....
Although I have no idea where you pulled your statistics, that you posted above from, I would take a 70-90% chance of dying over the 100% of dying as happened to the woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies