Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 11:24 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
IMO, "the media" has made a mess out of this flu season.

First they started yapping about the 10% efficacy in Australia, which is a FACT

a country where mostly senior citizens get vaccinated. Vaccines do not work as well in the elderly; which is a FACT

that's why there are special high dose vaccines and adjuvanted vaccines for the elderly. They also hyped this handwashing, which is a good practice but not very effective in preventing flu. Handwashing is a good precaution for everything

Then as deaths kept piling up, they started saying that the efficacy might be higher, which is a FACT and CDC has said 30% estimated efficacy

and it was still worthwhile to get the vaccine.ADVERTISEMENT
According to your statement, you think the media "made a mess"? How? Everything you wrote was factual. It was reported. And they STILL are HYPING vaccine.

Flu season lasts 20 wks. We are at the VERY END of it. And they are STILL HYPING it.

I think you are taking issue with the facts. A lot of people are. They don't like the facts this year.

Not liking a fact doesn't make it untrue.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
This is the media's decision. There's a saying with the media, "If it bleeds, it leads". These deaths are very much in the news right now. In a few months we won't be hearing about flu.
Actually we will. By July/August they will start in on the 2018-2019 flu season.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
IME, people got the idea that "good handwashing" was a substitute for a flu shot. It has now been determined that flu is spread simply by breathing; the person who is contagious (and may be so without symptoms for a day or so) does not have to cough or sneeze on other people or things they may touch to spread the disease.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0118142611.htm
""The study findings suggest that keeping surfaces clean, washing our hands all the time, and avoiding people who are coughing does not provide complete protection from getting the flu," said Sheryl Ehrman, Don Beall Dean of the Charles W. Davidson College of Engineering at San José State University. "Staying home and out of public spaces could make a difference in the spread of the influenza virus.""
No one would suggest not washing hands.

Getting a flu shot is certainly more efficacious than not. You can reduce your chances of getting flu by at least 10%, possibly more.
Are there any statistics that show fewer people received the shot this year?

For the last few years it has hovered at about 59% of adults getting the flu shot. It's been stagnating, so the constant bombardment with advertising has to be expected. They need to get more people to get the shot.

I would bet that this season it's higher, not lower, even though efficacy is crap, because of all the advertising. My local CVS and Walgreens have had the Flu Shots Here signs up for months.

You can't drive down the street and NOT see signs to GET YER FLU SHOT.

You can't look at the internet and not see/hear GET YER FLU SHOT.

You can't watch the news and not see/hear GET YER FLU SHOT.

It's more widespread than the advertising the presidential candidates did here.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:46 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Are there any statistics that show fewer people received the shot this year?

For the last few years it has hovered at about 59% of adults getting the flu shot. It's been stagnating, so the constant bombardment with advertising has to be expected. They need to get more people to get the shot. Right. To try to minimize the spread of the flu virus.

I would bet that this season it's higher, not lower, even though efficacy is crap, because of all the advertising. My local CVS and Walgreens have had the Flu Shots Here signs up for months. That's because it's FLU SEASON! Do you get mad when they bring sunblock displays up front in the summer? They are trying to sell things that are relevant to the here & now. So flu shots & sidewalk salt now, sunblock and coolers in June.

You can't drive down the street and NOT see signs to GET YER FLU SHOT.

You can't look at the internet and not see/hear GET YER FLU SHOT.

You can't watch the news and not see/hear GET YER FLU SHOT.

So what? Don't get it if you don't want to (although I think you should). But it literally saves lives. The more the virus can spread unchecked, the worse this flu season will be. Once flu season is over, there will be a delay, and, yes, we'll start all over again. Because we have a flu season every year.

It's more widespread than the advertising the presidential candidates did here.
The virus doesn't care if you believe it's dangerous or not. It is.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
The virus doesn't care if you believe it's dangerous or not. It is.
Its an average year for deaths. No more, no less even though this year's vaccine efficacy is GARBAGE.

The virus is also not dangerous when it's not dangerous. And the virus also doesn't care if you get the flu shot or not. But the CDC sure does (it holds patents for 30+ vaccines and makes money off them, conflict of interest MUCH?), and the news is actively ADVERTISING the product.

Does the news make money by advertising?

Old 02-07-2018, 12:24 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

As best they can tell, this years season has not peaked yet.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-07-2018, 12:38 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,742 times
Quote:
Its an average year for deaths. No more, no less even though this year's vaccine efficacy is GARBAGE.

The virus is also not dangerous when it's not dangerous. And the virus also doesn't care if you get the flu shot or not. But the CDC sure does (it holds patents for 30+ vaccines and makes money off them, conflict of interest MUCH?), and the news is actively ADVERTISING the product.

Does the news make money by advertising?
I find that even an average year for deaths, when we could do better, is unacceptable. How some people don't is beyond me. From what I'm seeing numbers-wise, this is a worse year. But I have no intention of tracking down any numbers you won't believe anyway.

If you had a 30% better chance of not getting hit by a car if you crossed the street at a crosswalk, would you tell people that the crosswalk is stupid & they shouldn't use it?

The virus is a virus. It wants a host and to replicate. It can be dangerous to an individual and also a population. The news is not advertising a product. I've seen plenty of flu spots, and they all say something along the lines of, "The CDC and the local health department suggest everyone who can get a shot does." That is not an advertisement. They typically include the hand-washing hoopla, a reminder to cough into your sleeve, and, lately, suggestions that they seek medical care early. Because of the people dying & all.

As far as vaccine patents, yes, the CDC does have patents for vaccines. They do license those out. They do take in fees for that. But it is a very, very small percentage of their annual budget. It helps offset other costs, I'm sure. They are not rolling in money from this.

And, yes, "the news" makes money off of advertising, unless it is non-profit (ie, public services). That's how they get the money to pay staff, buy equipment, and pay for the air they broadcast on. That is how it's done. Do you have a better idea?

Old 02-07-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I find that even an average year for deaths, when we could do better, is unacceptable. How some people don't is beyond me. From what I'm seeing numbers-wise, this is a worse year. But I have no intention of tracking down any numbers you won't believe anyway.

If you had a 30% better chance of not getting hit by a car if you crossed the street at a crosswalk, would you tell people that the crosswalk is stupid & they shouldn't use it?

The virus is a virus. It wants a host and to replicate. It can be dangerous to an individual and also a population. The news is not advertising a product. I've seen plenty of flu spots, and they all say something along the lines of, "The CDC and the local health department suggest everyone who can get a shot does." That is not an advertisement. They typically include the hand-washing hoopla, a reminder to cough into your sleeve, and, lately, suggestions that they seek medical care early. Because of the people dying & all.

As far as vaccine patents, yes, the CDC does have patents for vaccines. They do license those out. They do take in fees for that. But it is a very, very small percentage of their annual budget. It helps offset other costs, I'm sure. They are not rolling in money from this.

And, yes, "the news" makes money off of advertising, unless it is non-profit (ie, public services). That's how they get the money to pay staff, buy equipment, and pay for the air they broadcast on. That is how it's done. Do you have a better idea?
Your analogy is not comparable. I can cross anywhere I want because I can see when/if a car is coming, crosswalk or not, and protect MYSELF.

The CDC and the local health department suggest everyone who can get a shot does." That's an advertisement. They are telling you to go and get a PRODUCT. Everyone in the US is aware there are flu shots. Everyone. EVERYONE. There is no need to repeat this mantra day after day after day after day. It's advertising [and brainwashing,as well, which is what good advertising does, makes you believe that you cannot LIVE without product XYZ.]

And I don't care if the CDC makes 50 cents or 50 billion dollars. It is a conflict of interest. Anyone with two brain cells can see this. They hype up a disease, get news media on board and by golly LOOK they also have the patent. GO git yer shot. $$$$ conflict of interest. Period. Wrong. Very wrong. Very really wrong, deceptive practice. WRONG.

So news media are paid to tell people to get the flu vaccine during the broadcast where it appears as NEWS and not ADVERTISEMENTS? Is that what you are saying? And that's OK? To get paid to advertise a product during the news and treat it like news?

Why are you so terrified of the flu? Why do you think the only way you won't die is if you have a shot?

Old 02-07-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

As best they can tell, this years season has not peaked yet.
And it looks the same as every other year.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:40 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
And it looks the same as every other year.

Yes, it looks the same as other bad years, before it has peaked.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies