Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2018, 09:18 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No, that had nothing to do with health care workers per se, and says: "The association of current and prior year vaccination with increased shedding of influenza A might lead one to speculate that certain types of prior immunity promote lung inflammation, airway closure, and aerosol generation. This first observation of the phenomenon needs confirmation. If confirmed, this observation, together with recent literature suggesting reduced protection with annual vaccination, would have implications for influenza vaccination recommendations and policies."

IOW, "needs more study".
My prediction: The only additional study (just 1) will be paid for by the vaccine manufacturer and show that this study is 100% incorrect, and then conclude that no more studies are necessary ever/case closed.

The ramifications of this are a WHOLE can of worms big pharma does not/will not crawl through.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:38 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm going to go back and find the study because it was so interesting, but there was a study done about how flu spreads by small droplets (exhalation) and how it factors into pandemics. The used two VA hospitals to do the study and one was outfitted with UV lighting which is the *only* thing that can kill airborne influenza aerosols.

An unexpected finding to the study was that medical staff (the doctors and nurses), all vaccinated year after year, were in fact carrying the flu asymptomatically and spreading it to patients in an otherwise controlled area where they couldn't have gotten it anywhere else. I don't have a real point here but just related to our previous discussions about health workers, immunity, etc., the health workers (either by their excessive exposures over their careers to the flu or having had LOTS of flu shots) seem to end up as carriers and manage to spread it.

These conclusions are doubtful and it would be prudent to find a link.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:19 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,799,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Not everyone has a choice. My RN friend was forced to get the flu vaccine this year or be fired. Since she is a single mom, she didn't have a choice.

Her facility has required it for a few years and she has been able to avoid it until this year.

That's the issue with *voluntary.* It's always voluntary until the numbers aren't where they need to be. Then it's mandatory.
Yep. You are correct some don't. Those who are in the military are required to get them. It's fun around our house when my husband has to get his smallpox booster.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:48 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Yep. You are correct some don't. Those who are in the military are required to get them. It's fun around our house when my husband has to get his smallpox booster.
I did not know they still made the vaccine. Does your husband still get a quarter size scab on his shoulder from the vaccination? I think that WHO declared smallpox eradicated back in 1979; but there still could be one or two countries that might still have the possibility of infection - not to mention enemies that could weaponize the disease.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:53 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,664,669 times
No, that's not it.

About 2 weeks ago, when there was a ton of news on "exhalation" being a main source of infection (not sneezing and coughing), I started reading up on those studies. It was there that I stumbled upon a study that was done many years ago and it occurred in two VA hospitals. The study was urging the recognition of exhalation of small particles as a reason for transmission when everyone was naysaying it. If my memory serves me correctly, it was a study done in the early 2000s.

As I read the study, one part of it had to do with the medical staff and their likelihood of being asymptomatic carriers. I tried to find the study at work today but our internet there is god awful, so I'm going to to look for it now that I'm home.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:53 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You realize your post basically says the vaccine is completely worthless right? You get the vaccine almost every year and have had the flu multiple times.

I've never had the vaccine and never had the flu. Seems my approach works better. /shrug/
Not multiple times. Twice, over around a 30-year span. I admitted that I haven't gotten a flu shot every year, too. There have been a few years in that 30 when I didn't get one.

I believe I have accumulated some natural resistance from those shots, so I don't get sick when others do some years.

That resistance won't ever fully protect me because the flu virus mutates so quickly and continually. So there are probably years in that time when I got a minor case of the sniffles, and had caught the flu, but my natural resistance was strong enough to make it very mild, mild enough that it didn't bother me very much.

There is never any guarantee at all with influenza. Any new strain can be so different from all the others it could wipe out millions of us. The Spanish flu epidemic was such a strain. The epidemic began during WWI, in 1918, and it killed more people than the war around the world.

And though the war ended, the epidemic didn't. It kept coming back around, and kept killing people for the next 10 years.

The only thing that stopped it was the virus itself. It was so deadly that eventually, it killed or sickened everyone who could catch it, so it no longer had a host large enough to keep the virus alive.

But even the Spanish flu couldn't infect everyone. There were people who were naturally resistant to it that never caught it at all, and there were others who got it and got sick but didn't die. The second bunch were immune to the strain when it came back around.

No one knows yet why there is anyone with natural resistance. They only know once a person catches one particular virus and survives, they are immune to that strain afterward. But influenza mutates so fast and drastically no one will ever be immune from all the strains of it.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:20 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,799,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I did not know they still made the vaccine. Does your husband still get a quarter size scab on his shoulder from the vaccination? I think that WHO declared smallpox eradicated back in 1979; but there still could be one or two countries that might still have the possibility of infection - not to mention enemies that could weaponize the disease.
Yes he did. They make sure they have all sorts of things but the smallpox one is the one that he has had to take extra steps with while home.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:27 PM

So the study I read seems to be a study done in the Livermore VA hospital in 1961. I can no longer find the full study as it must have been linked within another site; however, just doing a search shows that the study is often referenced in larger presentations about different ways the flu is spread. Most of these presentation agree that it was a very compelling study. It did have some weaknesses and it never was replicated again (but should be).

BUT....the study itself was not about health care workers carrying the virus and causing infection. That happened to be an offhand statement made at the end/conclusion of the writeup. The study itself started out as a way to contain TB infections and the influenza discovery was sort of an unexpected finding.

During this study, they found that the flu seemed to mainly be spread by low particle aerosols exhaled (not by coughing and sneezing--those particles tend to sink). But the UV lights added to one of the hospital buildings managed to kill it.

Again, the comment about the health care workers was a "mention" by the study writer and I found it very interesting. Maybe by this time, his comment has been disproven.

I'm still going to keep looking for it but I cannot remember the search terms I used to get to it. I can almost picture it on the Google search page though--it was about the third or fourth link down. So frustrating!!

Old 02-08-2018, 02:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
So the study I read seems to be a study done in the Livermore VA hospital in 1961. I can no longer find the full study as it must have been linked within another site; however, just doing a search shows that the study is often referenced in larger presentations about different ways the flu is spread. Most of these presentation agree that it was a very compelling study. It did have some weaknesses and it never was replicated again (but should be).

BUT....the study itself was not about health care workers carrying the virus and causing infection. That happened to be an offhand statement made at the end/conclusion of the writeup. The study itself started out as a way to contain TB infections and the influenza discovery was sort of an unexpected finding.

During this study, they found that the flu seemed to mainly be spread by low particle aerosols exhaled (not by coughing and sneezing--those particles tend to sink). But the UV lights added to one of the hospital buildings managed to kill it.

Again, the comment about the health care workers was a "mention" by the study writer and I found it very interesting. Maybe by this time, his comment has been disproven.

I'm still going to keep looking for it but I cannot remember the search terms I used to get to it. I can almost picture it on the Google search page though--it was about the third or fourth link down. So frustrating!!
B1: Not trying to be rude here, but how do you know the study was never done again? (Replicated would mean the results were the same, perhaps it was done again and the results weren't the same.)

There was a study just this flu season that came to basically the same conclusion. I'm sure I've posted the link to it in this thread, but here it is again: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0118142611.htm

B2. Probably. That was 57 years ago.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
B1: Not trying to be rude here, but how do you know the study was never done again? (Replicated would mean the results were the same, perhaps it was done again and the results weren't the same.)

There was a study just this flu season that came to basically the same conclusion. I'm sure I've posted the link to it in this thread, but here it is again: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0118142611.htm

B2. Probably. That was 57 years ago.
I was reading a presentation by another researcher who referenced it the study. He stated that the study was never done again and said that it should be. He did use the word "replicated" but he referred to the actual way the study was done and not the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies