Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2018, 07:12 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times

Advertisements

Tamilful is an anti-viral medication, one of the few which interferes with the synthesis of RNA and it is given to people within 36 hours of testing positive for Flu A and Flu B. I have seen in shorten symptoms in patients.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oseltamivir

Old 02-08-2018, 07:17 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
First link: mice.
Second link: recommends flu vaccine. Caution with live virus vaccines, which is standard procedure for people on immunosuppressant treatment. Says nothing about vaccines causing lupus. Flu itself can cause a flare of lupus symptoms.
Third link: Blogs are all right if you cite them, eh?
Nothing in your link supports any vaccine causing Hashimoto's disease or evidence that a vaccine will cause the condition to flare up. One of the people quoted says there is "potential" to do so but gives no supporting evidence.
Like I said, the evidence is limited. The first link was a study and yes, it was in mice. The second two links were just about how some exercise caution in this area due to limited evidence. Obviously I was not citing them as evidence or proof. Potential to cause flares is something that some may consider while others will not due to limited information.

Quote:
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/yes...ated-atlantic/
Jefferson refuses to use anything but placebo controlled studies in his reviews. Dr. Crislip explains why that is inappropriate.
That was a long rambling critique of an article written by the Atlantic years ago where Jefferson was referenced. Can you pinpoint what his criticism of Jefferson is other then Jefferson calling for placebo controlled studies and Crislip saying that that would be unethical. Is that the big criticism and why you repeatedly say that Jefferson is biased?

About Crislip:
Quote:
Crislip is the producer and host of three podcasts: QuackCast, Gobbet o' Pus, and PusCast. Each episode of QuackCast features Crislip delivering a monologue about a topic related to medicine, usually a critique of an alternative medicine practice or set of beliefs.
He sure does have a lot of free time on his hands to denigrate alternative medicine between his many podcasts and his blog. His reviews on healthgrades are abysmal. Maybe he should spend more time actually practicing medicine and less time criticizing others.

Quote:
So even though Cochrane itself admits Jefferson has a conflict of interest about Tamiflu you refuse to believe it? Jefferson should either stay out of legal issues with Tamiflu or not pretend to write unbiased review articles about it.
If you read the whole story or the multitude of stories out there about the Tamiflu and how the clinical trial information was not made public, you might understand what this was all about. Until then.

Last edited by MissTerri; 02-08-2018 at 07:36 AM..

Old 02-08-2018, 07:34 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,664,669 times
I'm going to go back and find the study because it was so interesting, but there was a study done about how flu spreads by small droplets (exhalation) and how it factors into pandemics. The used two VA hospitals to do the study and one was outfitted with UV lighting which is the *only* thing that can kill airborne influenza aerosols.

An unexpected finding to the study was that medical staff (the doctors and nurses), all vaccinated year after year, were in fact carrying the flu asymptomatically and spreading it to patients in an otherwise controlled area where they couldn't have gotten it anywhere else. I don't have a real point here but just related to our previous discussions about health workers, immunity, etc., the health workers (either by their excessive exposures over their careers to the flu or having had LOTS of flu shots) seem to end up as carriers and manage to spread it.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm wondering if nursing home workers are made to get the flu shots? Because sometimes when the flu hits, it travels all throughout the nursing home and they have to shut it down for a while.

Just wondering?
Yes, in Colorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
She did not like the choice, but she did indeed have one.

I have a problem with an RN who refuses flu vaccine for any reason other than a medical one. To me, it indicates defective education and makes me wonder about how knowledgeable the person is in other areas.
Agreed!

Old 02-08-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Like I said, the evidence is limited. The first link was a study and yes, it was in mice. The second two links were just about how some exercise caution in this area due to limited evidence. Obviously I was not citing them as evidence or proof. Potential to cause flares is something that some may consider while others will not due to limited information.

That was a long rambling critique of an article written by the Atlantic years ago where Jefferson was referenced. Can you pinpoint what his criticism of Jefferson is other then Jefferson calling for placebo controlled studies and Crislip saying that that would be unethical. Is that the big criticism and why you repeatedly say that Jefferson is biased?

About Crislip: He sure does have a lot of free time on his hands to denigrate alternative medicine between his many podcasts and his blog. His reviews on healthgrades are abysmal. Maybe he should spend more time actually practicing medicine and less time criticizing others.

If you read the whole story or the multitude of stories out there about the Tamiflu and how the clinical trial information was not made public, you might understand what this was all about. Until then.
Just a little ethical problem, hey? The Declaration of Helsinki says researchers cannot deny a proven treatment for research purposes.
https://www.wma.net/policies-post/wm...uman-subjects/

Why this constant digging at Crislip's blogging? Lots of doctors "blog". You've posted some physician blogs. As I said, the doctors I worked with all had hobbies, some of which were quite time consuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm going to go back and find the study because it was so interesting, but there was a study done about how flu spreads by small droplets (exhalation) and how it factors into pandemics. The used two VA hospitals to do the study and one was outfitted with UV lighting which is the *only* thing that can kill airborne influenza aerosols.

An unexpected finding to the study was that medical staff (the doctors and nurses), all vaccinated year after year, were in fact carrying the flu asymptomatically and spreading it to patients in an otherwise controlled area where they couldn't have gotten it anywhere else. I don't have a real point here but just related to our previous discussions about health workers, immunity, etc., the health workers (either by their excessive exposures over their careers to the flu or having had LOTS of flu shots) seem to end up as carriers and manage to spread it.
I would love to see that as that is something I have never heard professionally.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:38 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Just a little ethical problem, hey? The Declaration of Helsinki says researchers cannot deny a proven treatment for research purposes.

Why this constant digging at Crislip's blogging? Lots of doctors "blog". You've posted some physician blogs. As I said, the doctors I worked with all had hobbies, some of which were quite time consuming.

I would love to see that as that is something I have never heard professionally.
I'm going to go back digging for it...I wish I had bookmarked it.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I understand the ethical concerns surrounding placebo controlled studies but I don't understand why Jefferson saying that we could use more of these types of studies (perhaps using people who don't want the vaccine) would be evidence that he's biased, as claimed by Suzy.

Quote:
I believe this is the first time I mentioned Crislip's blog as I didn't know who he was until Suzy brought up his blog in this discussion. Many of the so called "doctor blogs" referenced in these types of discussions seem like thinly veiled advertisements for the pharmaceutical companies (paid bloggers?). I don't think they are the most credible sources.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I'm going to go back digging for it...I wish I had bookmarked it.
Yeah, that happens to me a lot! However, a quick Google search only brought up stuff from anti-vax sources such as Weston Price and Natural News.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Is this it?
Infectious virus in exhaled breath of symptomatic seasonal influenza cases from a college community | Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences

Old 02-08-2018, 09:07 AM

No, that had nothing to do with health care workers per se, and says: "The association of current and prior year vaccination with increased shedding of influenza A might lead one to speculate that certain types of prior immunity promote lung inflammation, airway closure, and aerosol generation. This first observation of the phenomenon needs confirmation. If confirmed, this observation, together with recent literature suggesting reduced protection with annual vaccination, would have implications for influenza vaccination recommendations and policies."

IOW, "needs more study".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies