Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 04:14 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
In fact, you could accurately state that the 2018 GT is superior in every conceivable way to the 69 Boss.

Except for one very important distinction......

It's not a 1969 Boss 302.
Well-made points. Thing is, no one has opened a factory to build exact replicas of 1969 Boss 302s - with all their acknowledged issues - and then attempted to not just sell them at Nissan GT-R prices, but argue that they are a better car than the Nissan GT-R.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 04:16 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
But I am younger generation though...
Speaking of trends - individual choice will of course buck the statistics. Also, muffle that bike. Having the entire world hate motorcyclists doesn't make anyone safer.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:24 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
They're loud? The look alright? What else?

Harley gave up the performance catagory years ago to imports.
They don't look alright. They look WONDERFUL!

They look wonderful, they sound wonderful and they are quite comfortable tooling down the road at 85 mph loaded with your weeks worth of travel gear and your babe on back.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:41 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Agreed! I happened to go Indian rather than HD, but the idea is the same. There is something about an old-school, air-cooled twin that does feel right. They aren't fast, don't corner particularly well, throw sparks on fast curves. But still, a lot of fun, in a back to basics kind of way. I bought my bike because I wanted a comfortable, long distance bike, not for the V-twin appeal. But now that I discovered what it's all about, I can see the appeal of a Harley.

For you HD owners, what do you think of the 2018 Softails, and the demise of the Dynas? And what do (did?) you think of the V-rod?
V-Rod was OK...great motor but not a very comfortable bike to actually ride for much distance..... at least for me.

Sad to see the Dyna line go....they were the true riders bikes of all the big twins.

Mixed emotions on the 18 Softies.

The Milwaukee Eight seems like it will turn out to be a great mill when they get the bugs worked out.

The styling on the Dyna Crossovers, namely the Fat Bob and the Street Bob just don't look right.

The Fat Boy looks weird too with the big headlight nacell and the oversized rims.

But I like the new Heritage, just wish they left the sissy bar stock to keep it a turn key tour ready Softail.

The rest of the line faired the transition well and reports say the power and handling is much improved....so it's probably a net win for HD.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
They don't look alright. They look WONDERFUL!

They look wonderful, they sound wonderful and they are quite comfortable tooling down the road at 85 mph loaded with your weeks worth of travel gear and your babe on back.
I've upgraded since the Fat Bob.....my user name would be closer to yours, but 2010.

It's good to be King.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
I love that we're at 22 pages now prob 15-18 of them stating how there's no demand for Harley's nowadays, but people wont admit it's demand that drives businesses to expand/succeed.
Sure it does.

I admit demand drives sales.

Happy now?

But that doesn't mean that high taxes and excessive regulations don't hurt business, jobs and the economy.

When people have more money, they buy more stuff.... creating more demand.

When businesses pay lower taxes, they can give employees raises and bonuses, giving them more money to spend on stuff and to create more demand.

They also can keep prices lower instead of passing on the cost of high taxation to the consumer.....

Just because it doesn't always happen in every case, such as with Harley, doesn't mean that the overall concept is invalid..

Old 01-31-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well-made points. Thing is, no one has opened a factory to build exact replicas of 1969 Boss 302s - with all their acknowledged issues - and then attempted to not just sell them at Nissan GT-R prices, but argue that they are a better car than the Nissan GT-R.
A 2018 Harley may look like older, vintage Harleys.... especially to the untrained eye...but they are mechanically different beasts.

But that's by design. Many of Harley's customers want the old classic look and feel.

But mechanically speaking a 2018 is very different than even a 1980's or 1990's Harley.

If you actually read reviews, the late model Harleys fair very well when put up against Metric Cruisers and Touring bikes.

There's a lot of misconceptions about Harley......they aren't the rolling oil leaks that they used to be anymore

And again, you have to remember to compare apples to apples model wise..

Old 01-31-2018, 07:04 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
A 2018 Harley may look like older, vintage Harleys.... especially to the untrained eye...but they are mechanically different beasts.

But that's by design. Many of Harley's customers want the old classic look and feel.

But mechanically speaking a 2018 is very different than even a 1980's or 1990's Harley.

If you actually read reviews, the late model Harleys fair very well when put up against Metric Cruisers and Touring bikes.

There's a lot of misconceptions about Harley......they aren't the rolling oil leaks that they used to be anymore

And again, you have to remember to compare apples to apples model wise..
My Sportster leaked. A bunch of guys my age were bashing it for the quarter sized "puddle" under it.

To which I replied...
It's not leaking oil. It's sweating torque... at least my exhaust doesn't smell like MSG...
Nor do I have to "clutch it up" to pull a wheelie.
Silence.

That's no joke either. Torque is there... pull back on the bars while cracking the throttle and up it went. Can do the same on any sports bike too, just at 6500-8000rpm

My twin cam is pretty good, the cases don't leak...
Yet...

Old 01-31-2018, 07:07 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Speaking of trends - individual choice will of course buck the statistics. Also, muffle that bike. Having the entire world hate motorcyclists doesn't make anyone safer.
Nah. I'd rather be hated and heard, rather than loved and squashed because blind spots, texting and driving and gorilla knuckled retirees "I didn't see him"

If I were still in NY throw not having to pick Bambi out of my teeth and spokes...

Old 01-31-2018, 08:18 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:

When businesses pay lower taxes, they can give employees raises and bonuses, giving them more money to spend on stuff and to create more demand.
I remember the 50s when the tax system was so high, and so steep, that businesses were forced to cut their profits just to keep the government from bankrupting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies