Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 01:43 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
so then we agree, tax cuts are not a panacea that will magically solve all of societies ills, instead you need to have demand to grow a business. Glad we agree that this GOP/Trump talking point is garbage with no real world factual basis. I look forward to you arguing same thing when discussing federal tax cuts. Great to know.

I don't recall Trump ever calling tax cuts a "panacea" for all of societies ills....it seems to me that you're the one putting those words in his/his supporters mouths..

Tax cuts are generally a good thing for the economy..... but other factors will always play a part.

Tax cuts may not be able to save Harley but that doesn't mean that they're the Armageddon that the Left make them out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 01:44 PM

34,234 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
KC production is moving to York, PA. 800 jobs eliminated in KC.
If they are adding production to the York plant, which I toured many years ago, then they should be adding jobs there. Harley should have diversified years ago like Bombardier did.

If you don't make products people actually want, no tax cut is going to help you. Tax cuts don't eliminate POOR BUSINESS models, and practices.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:47 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
A excellent question. From what I have read that plant assembles the 500 and 750 models which are also made in Kansas City, although I don't know what else is done in either facility.

I see that they recently opened an assembly facility in Thailand as well.

Steelworkers, machinists upset with Harley-Davidson about plans for Thailand plant

Harley Davidson is a truly global brand. They manufacture product in one or another foreign country and ship to other foreign countries, and perhaps into the USA from there. Patriots might think of it as an American company, but that doesn't seem to be much the case any longer. They have graduated from exporting product to exporting investment capital (and potential jobs).

Yep and one of the reasons for that is what I mentioned above. The Trans Pacific Partnership that Trump killed, would have enormously reduced the tariffs selling motorcycles into that country. So he pretty much forced Harley to build a plant there. All because of his pettiness and insistence on showing the base that by God he was going to destroy anything with Obama's name on it. No matter who or what that damaged. In this case, Harley Davidson. Another example of how he is "making America great again". But for who? Seems to be at the expense of American companies and American citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
How can we can get the snowflake generation to ride Harley's? Oh never mind it would be hard to get a Harley down into their basements.
This.......most Millennials can't even drive a standard transmission much less ride a motorcycle that's half the weight of a Prius.

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I don't recall Trump ever calling tax cuts a "panacea" for all of societies ills....it seems to me that you're the one putting those words in his/his supporters mouths..

Tax cuts are generally a good thing for the economy..... but other factors will always play a part.

Tax cuts may not be able to save Harley but that doesn't mean that they're the Armageddon that the Left make them out to be.

no, what I have argued is that tax cuts for corporations aren't necessary and will have little effect on normal middle class workers, instead resulting in stock buybacks and increased dividends which will mostly benefit those in society who live off of assets rather than salary/income. My point when GOP/Trump pushed through these magical cuts was that it would spur little new demand and we would be better off aiming entire cut at middle/working and even upper middle class instead of an average of a thousand for a middle class family. Trump and the GOP are the ones who argued we MUST give corps tax cuts to generate more demand and growth.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:49 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Curious if anyone knows how HD's plant in India is doing?
Per this article, Harley sold 204 units in India in December 2017. Hero MotoCorp sold 472K units during the same time frame. The bikes of course don't compete head to head but it shows that HD may not be the right product for the market.

Of course that plant does export as well but not the the US.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:50 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Who ever made the claim that tax cuts were any such thing? Individuals and corporations get to keep more of the money they earn, and that means the money itself is being used more efficiently, as nobody is less efficient with money than government, and it also increases the individual power while decreasing the collective's.

These are generally positive things, but not magical or utopian. Tax cuts by themselves only solve the ill of taxes being too high. Who made the claim they were a panacea for every ill of society?

Trump's own admin claimed that these Corporate tax cuts would result in 4-9K wage increases while corp CEO's claimed they would instead increase dividends and share buybacks, neither of which spurs demand, which as we've proven with Harley is what actually causes corps to grow/expand

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...ost-job-growth

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ward-investors

Old 01-30-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Are they relocating? Are they discontinuing a line?

Curious ...
I don't know about relocation..... but they did discontinue the entire Dyna family of bikes and streamlined some of the individual models into the Softail family in the 2018 model year.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:55 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
And yet they still have over 51% of the over 600cc sales in the US market. More than ALL the other manufacturers combined. I don't own one or want one, but any other manufacturer would love to have half their share of the US market.

They came out with a new line of bikes last year, combining 2 obsolete lines (Dana and Softtail). I'm not sure what was built at the closed plant.

Indian is now coming on strong, IIRC now with over 10% of the same market.

Amazing when you think about it that those 2 companies with their old school cruisers and touring cruisers have 60+% of the market. While all the Japanese and European ADV, standard, sport bikes, metric cruisers and nakeds combined split the remainder.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:55 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Try finding a new car with manual transmission these days. They want nothing to do with them. If you can't do it from a phone, forget it. Another reason GA is in a steady decline. Yes, I know I am generalizing. Their is even a TV commercial where a kid, and his friend can't change a flat tire, and they don't know what a lug wrench is, and are perfectly OK with it.

That's just sad. I have to wonder if it's a worldwide thing or unique to the US? Years ago PBS did a show about '50s American cars in Cuba and it was just fascinating to see them pull a car in need of a fender into a barn, pull a sheet of metal off the rack and make that fender with an English Wheel and other basic tools or hear stories of how they'd get something like Ford gearbox internals to live in a GM case, some pretty talented people keeping those cars on the road. I know I'm certainly happy my life is not contained in some phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies