Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 09:21 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times

Advertisements

Years ago, decades ago I recall one maybe 2 colds in an entire year. Now it seems there is one sweeping through school once a month, something new. What is going on? Open borders? Globalism? Big pharm conspiracy? WT*?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 01:10 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Influenza strains constantly mutate. The CDC can only guess which strains of Influenza might be prevalent during a period of outbreaks. The CDC has a history of guessing wrong. Current Influenza shots do not provide protection against the prevalent strains of Influenza.

And yes, open borders do permit the introduction of diseases into the US.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:14 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
A lot of third world ILLEGAL ALIENS hop a border "un-vetted" ...they bring diseases and send their children to school then your children get infected.

Back in HS (2004) There was a outbreak of tuberculosis at my school that was traced back to an illegal mexican that just started going to school there... The entire school had to be tested and vaccinated.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:16 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
A lot of third world ILLEGAL ALIENS hop a border "un-vetted" ...they bring diseases and send their children to school then your children get infected.

Back in HS (2004) There was a outbreak of tuberculosis at my school that was traced back to an illegal mexican that just started going to school there... The entire school had to be tested and vaccinated.

Must the millions who come here on tourist visas pass a physical before the visa's issued?

Old 02-03-2018, 01:17 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Years ago, decades ago I recall one maybe 2 colds in an entire year. Now it seems there is one sweeping through school once a month, something new. What is going on? Open borders? Globalism? Big pharm conspiracy? WT*?
Much more air travel.

Every damn flight, I'm seated near at least one dingdong who insists on flying when clearly sick.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:21 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Must the millions who come here on tourist visas pass a physical before the visa's issued?
All VISA applications require a physical. Chest X-ray ....etc .. I believe some younger kids are exempt...

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tion-faqs.html

Medical eligibility is a requirement of INA Sections 212(a) and 221(d). Failure to provide required information may cause delay or denial of immigrant visas. If an immigrant visa is not issued, all medical eligibility forms will be treated as confidential under INA Section 222(f).

What should the applicant expect at the medical examination?
The applicant must show his/her passport (or other photo identification) and appointment letter to the doctor during the medical examination.

The medical examination will include a medical history review, physical examination, chest X-ray and blood tests for syphilis.

The physical examination will at least include examination of the eyes, ears, nose and throat, extremities, heart, lungs, abdomen, lymph nodes, skin and external genitalia.

In some countries, the panel physician will send the results to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate directly. In other countries, the panel physician will give the applicant his/her medical exam results in a sealed envelope and an x-ray which the applicant must bring to the interview.

Note: The medical examination is not a complete physical examination. Its purpose is to screen for certain medical conditions relevant to U.S. immigration law. The panel physician is not required to examine you for any conditions except those the U.S. Public Health Service specifies for U.S. immigration purposes, nor is the physician required to provide you with diagnosis or treatment even though other matters related to your health might be discovered. This examination is not a substitute for a full physical examination, consultation, diagnosis, or treatment by your primary health care provider.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:45 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
I have 2 small kids and I say this all the time. Growing up I never got sick like they do now. It’s crazy sickness. Every year it’s Expected that the stomach virus rip through the school (never had this at all growing up), flu makes it’s rounds, strep, coxsackie, fifths diseases and of course the normal colds.. every winter. If you avoid one per season your considered a success.
I think maybe it has something to do with both parents working and sending kids to school sick. I do work but always keep my kids home until they are well. Just missed five days of work because my daughter had the flu. Fingers crossed my son does not get it or the stomach bug, strep or fifth disease that is also currently going around the school.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:49 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
We are a much more mobile society. People travel, go out to restaurants, tons of afterschool activities, day care, etc. Bottom line is that we probably are much more exposed to greater numbers of people then we were 50 years ago.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:57 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
We are a much more mobile society. People travel, go out to restaurants, tons of afterschool activities, day care, etc. Bottom line is that we probably are much more exposed to greater numbers of people then we were 50 years ago.
Yeah but growing up I went to nursery school then school surrounded by children, ate at restaurants often, many after school activities, traveled yearly to the Caribbean, Disney and I never was sick this much or exposed every winter to all these kids are. I had not even heard of some of these viruses that go around yearly now until I had kids!
A new viral thing is going around schools in NYC that involves parisites in poop WHAT?? My friend is a teacher in NYC has a few cases in her class. Lovely, give it a few years and that will join our rotation here in the suburbs lol

Old 02-03-2018, 02:00 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
All VISA applications require a physical. Chest X-ray ....etc .. I believe some younger kids are exempt...

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tion-faqs.html

Medical eligibility is a requirement of INA Sections 212(a) and 221(d). Failure to provide required information may cause delay or denial of immigrant visas. If an immigrant visa is not issued, all medical eligibility forms will be treated as confidential under INA Section 222(f).

What should the applicant expect at the medical examination?
The applicant must show his/her passport (or other photo identification) and appointment letter to the doctor during the medical examination.

The medical examination will include a medical history review, physical examination, chest X-ray and blood tests for syphilis.

The physical examination will at least include examination of the eyes, ears, nose and throat, extremities, heart, lungs, abdomen, lymph nodes, skin and external genitalia.

In some countries, the panel physician will send the results to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate directly. In other countries, the panel physician will give the applicant his/her medical exam results in a sealed envelope and an x-ray which the applicant must bring to the interview.

Note: The medical examination is not a complete physical examination. Its purpose is to screen for certain medical conditions relevant to U.S. immigration law. The panel physician is not required to examine you for any conditions except those the U.S. Public Health Service specifies for U.S. immigration purposes, nor is the physician required to provide you with diagnosis or treatment even though other matters related to your health might be discovered. This examination is not a substitute for a full physical examination, consultation, diagnosis, or treatment by your primary health care provider.

Interesting information but I don't see similar requirements under the 'Tourism & Visa' tab which is what I was curious about. Looks to me as if legal visitors may well be at least as big a source of disease as illegals may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies