Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 07:44 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times

Advertisements

[quote=TreeBeard;50926575]The authors of the Atlantic piece go on to argue that the GOP must be boycotted for the good of the nation./QUOTE]

That did not workout so well the last time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 07:46 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
[quote=Erratikmind;50927334]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The authors of the Atlantic piece go on to argue that the GOP must be boycotted for the good of the nation./QUOTE]

That did not workout so well the last time.
The past is irrelevant. The issue is what the GOP and Trump are doing and how they are acting now.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:47 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
I’m wondering how voting Democrat is not somehow “boycotting” the Republican Party? It’s hard to believe I’m surprised that the OP agrees with this moronic ridiculousness even with their track record on this forum.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:50 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Republicans have been a threat to our Constitutional order for some time now.

They cheat to win elections -- gerrymandered voting precincts, voter suppression, smear campaigns of lies and false conspiracy tales,...

But defending Russia interference in elections to help their guy win is the limit.

If you are supporting Republicans, you are supporting liars, cheats, criminals, and traitors.

To say that Obama did it too is just nonsense.

It's like your 16 y/o daughter coming in drunk at 3 in the morning wearing only a hockey jersey and a goofy grin, and then carrying on about her sister didn't take her turn at dishes.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:55 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I’m wondering how voting Democrat is not somehow “boycotting” the Republican Party? It’s hard to believe I’m surprised that the OP agrees with this moronic ridiculousness even with their track record on this forum.
As used by the authors, "boycotting" means to vote blind partisanship for Democrats in the next election even though they find this type of voting distasteful. The purpose is to get the GOP back on track to being Republicans and not Trumplicans.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:57 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The authors of the Atlantic piece go on to argue that the GOP must be boycotted for the good of the nation.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...the-gop/550907

I couldn't agree more.
I second this.

The Republican party has strayed from it's own core principles, and has not been the party of Lincoln for decades.

In fact 'republican' does not suit them at all as a name. They betray republican principles. Republican office holders more often than not represent the interests of their big donors, regardless of where these donors reside, instead of the local constituents for whom they were originally intended to serve by the constitution.

To this end, they subvert our governmental institutions and even obstruct justice on behalf of a criminal whom they know will sign legislation intended to benefit their big money donors.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:00 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Democrats all ready boycott the GOP. That's why they're losers. Keep up the good work...please.
The authors are not democrats.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:05 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I second this.

The Republican party has strayed from it's own core principles, and has not been the party of Lincoln for decades.

In fact 'republican' does not suit them at all as a name. They betray republican principles. Republican office holders more often than not represent the interests of their big donors, regardless of where these donors reside, instead of the local constituents for whom they were originally intended to serve by the constitution.

To this end, they subvert our governmental institutions and even obstruct justice on behalf of a criminal whom they know will sign legislation intended to benefit their big money donors.
Nailed it.

Whatever their core principles were, they've long been left in the dust.

How can they even say "fiscal responsibility" with a straight face?

Old 02-05-2018, 08:06 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Nah... they discredited themselves by abusing their power and it becoming public... It merely got to the public...

I have served as either affiant or administrative agent on roughly a half dozen FISA applications over the last 21 years. (While the affiant is usually the case agent, the admin agent is the poor wretch charged with maintaining the accuracy and purity of the warrant and everything it produces. It is a soul-sucking, tedious, thankless job.)

Without exception, EVERY SINGLE FACT used in the application and re-application for a FISA warrant must be documented in writing and maintained in the Woods File. Here's how it works: In my affidavit, I write that subject "A" was in contact with subject "B" during a 3 minute, 52 second phone call placed from telephone "A" to telephone "B" at 1:37 a.m. Eastern time on January 17, 2013. There needs to be document in the Woods File showing every single detail above, and not one of them had better be off by a second. If a public source document is referenced, a copy of the exact source must go into the Woods File, with the salient portion marked. All sources must be clearly identified, whether they were spy satellites or Yahoo! news articles. As the FISA judge is only going to hear from the government, an extra duty is owed to present evidence in as fair a manner as possible.

On more complex warrants, and especially those with multiple re-applications, the Woods File can number in the THOUSANDS of entries. That's because each re-application requires the affiant to start from fact one of the original warrant, re-verifying everything up to and including any additional information in the re-application.

That said, it is painfully obvious to me that someone screwed up in a major way. I'm not going to pretend to know the details of a major investigation to which I have no access, and I know from experience that 90% of what the media feeds you is a SWAG (Sophisticated Wild-Assed Guess). But I cannot imagine a FISA judge signing off on a warrant against the election team of a Presidential candidate, knowing the affidavit hinged largely on a dossier funded by the opposition party and written by a foreign national who "desperately wanted to keep Donald Trump from becoming President of the United States."

So somebody did their best to contort the evidence and make it seem more factual than it was. This, while senior executives with their hands on the controls of the case were texting each other about their hatred for Donald Trump, and discussing an "insurance policy" and "secret society" should he be elected. While the Deputy Director of the FBI's wife was receiving $700,000 from the very opposition which funded the dossier. And while a senior DOJ executive's wife worked for the very organization which put together that unsubstantiated, politically charged dossier.

Heads must roll, if for no other reason than to cleanse the reputation of the thousands of FBI Agents who every day put themselves in harm's way in defense of the American people and the Constitution.

When asked what the woods file is

I actually asked about that once....as it was explained to me, a while back a FISA warrant got issued based on some shaky facts, and "Woods" was either the name of the aggrieved target of the FISA or the agent who screwed it up. The FBI responded by creating the Woods file in order to show, in all future applications, that every fact in an affidavit was backed up by clear and concrete evidence. In any case, it is an internal control document within the FBI (not sure if other agencies use it), and subject to audit during and after the execution of the warrant.

I would LOVE to see the Woods File for this warrant. Unless I'm mistaken, it is probably in the hands of OIG investigators at this point.

When asked about someone believing there was more than the dossier to get legitimate clearance to investigate and feeling as though Trump is responsible for undermining the integrity of the FBI...

Some people only hear what they want to hear. I plainly state that, in all likelihood, the affiant played fast and loose with the facts when obtaining the FISA warrant against Carter Page. (It’s also important to note that a FISA application goes through a multi-tiered, rigorous review process before it ever sees a judge, so it’s likely more than one set of hands were dirty.) When someone processed it, desperate as they are to see the Trump Presidency come crashing down, they heard “.....which means the warrant must have been based on facts other than the dossier”, even though former Deputy Director Andy McCabe testified to the contrary.

I can only imagine what would have happened if I wrote a Title III affidavit for a wire on a drug dealer’s phone, using as my prima facie evidence the loosely corroborated statements of a rival drug dealer. I’d probably be stocking straws in the FBI cafeteria.

When asked about knowing who was involved
I don't know who wrote the affidavit, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a GS-13 at a field office (as would ordinarily be the case.) Applications have to go through senior executive review at FBI HQ, as well as at main justice (DOJ) before a DOJ attorney actually presents it to the FISA judge. I wouldn't want to say for the record that this person or that person put their hands on it, but I can say with virtual certainty nobody at the position of Deputy Director or higher wrote the affidavit. They wouldn't know how.

When asked if Trump and the FISA memo from Nunes discredits the FBI

I said before, heads must roll. Those within the FBI and DOJ who were complicit in this "investigation" on Carter and Donald Trump, are solely responsible for the integrity being compromised and myself and thousands more look like incompetent and corrupt imbeciles. I can only equate this to a doctor, how most are jaded into believing doctors are all money hungry quacks that push pills, and blatantly abuse their power for money. Or a mechanic that just throws parts at a car leaving you with the same problems as you went in with, only for the money.
This is big. This is an abuse of power. Had I performed my duty in the same fashion, I would be lucky if all I had to face is a demote and or resign.

Now, if only the media would come and ask real agents and seniors within the ranks of the FBI how a FISA warrant is obtained and the specifics to our job, so the American people weren't brainwashed one way or the other to be at each other's throats or to politicize this, that would be great. That won't happen though, as ratings are more important.

This is more than a partisan hack job. This speaks volumes of corruption within the very entity which swore an oath to abide to and uphold, the constitution and laws of the land. That's more concerning than a pompous ass in the White House. Never mind feeling besmirched, due to the incompetence revolving around the FISA warrant, those responsible for abusing powers for political gain, is a serious matter, all responsible should be imprisoned for life.

You don't go talking about an "insurance policy" or "secret society", that just gives validation to the likes of Alex Jones and confirms his conspiracy theories that the government is rogue and operates within its own measures for its own gain, against the people it is swore an oath to protect, and makes us all look incompetent and in on the fix! This isn't Trump's fault. This is those who abused the powers they were trusted with to serve the people of the United States in protecting from all threats foreign and domestic.

Per an FBI agent I know. Eat your heart out.
Thank you for posting this. As Biden would say "This is a big f'n deal". Anyone who knows anything at all about the law in this country understands how big this is.

I expect liberals on this board or Democratic politicians to try and downplay what has happened but the lack of interest by the media is stunning. It shouldn't be. Not after how the media conducted itself during the last national election and has conducted itself since Trump became president. I am disgusted by the MSM. Again.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:14 AM

66 posts, read 31,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Both parties are a threat to our democracy because they have sold out to special interests. It’s not just the Republicans.

Both parties sold out a long, long time ago.

Trump is not part of the DC good ole boys club. His election has really upset that apple cart.
Both the Dems and Repubs are tripping over themselves to find some crime to charge him with and get him out of office. And it seems that they have gone to great lengths to try to get him out.

Russia did not put Trump into office. The American people did at the ballot box.
"Russian influence" my foot....just how many Dems got "influenced" by Russia to vote for Trump ?

What we are seeing today are two political parties upset that an "outsider" is in the Oval Office.

The Dem party let Hillary bully her way into the nomination with no real competition.
But the American people did not want Hillary and Trump getting elected is what happens when you try to force something that cannot be forced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies