Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 06:46 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
How about a homemade bomb? Remember Boston? Sept 11, 2001? We should outlaw manure and airplanes, right?

Your logic isn't exactly infallible.

BTW, I'm considered a Liberal by some and Conservative by others. I don't vote for either PP.

And in case you are prone to stereotyping, let me reassure you, I can't stand Donald Trump.

I only stand by the reality that inanimate objects don't kill people. People kill people.
Your logic isn't exactly infallible either.

How many people died in Boston and do we really think a 19 year old in Florida is going to fly a plane into the twin towers?

Let's AT LEAST make them work for it.

Do you imagine that other countries don't have despondent young men? Yet they don't go in over and over and over and shoot up their classmates.

Why is that do you suppose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 06:47 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Improvements are welcome. I never said they weren't and am not sure how you jumped to that conclusion.
My point is (since apparently I need to spell it out) that you can improve all you want, but people will still die needlessly from being careless (not wearing a seat belt, for example), or they will die accidentally due to human error.

As far as abortion, if you don't want children you can a) not have sex b) try one of the methods of birth control which are 99% effective c) get sterilized or d) put them up for adoption

For the record, I don't advocate reversing Roe v Wade. I wish we could change people's behavior so it wasn't necessary. I just find the outrage about gun deaths but the silence about abortion hypocritical and heartbreaking.
Yes, but the point is LESS people die from (insert legislated action here) than would have if no action was taken.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:47 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yet many more would die without those laws/regulations.
Well, it does make one wonder what is going on in these other so called first world countries that don't have the extreme problems with this kind of repeated violence that the US does have.

It's not all up to regulation, but they obviously must be doing something right that we obviously aren't.

People do need to be open minded enough to see that, whether the solution is legislative, cultural, social, medical, something else or some other combination of solutions that can be customized to our culture and eradicate this.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:48 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,403,590 times
Quote:
See above.

I never said gun deaths aren't a big deal.

But don't give me all YOUR BS about "the children" when you don't give a single thought to all the children murdered every single dang day. In "my head" there are not more abortions. There ARE more abortions.

Also spare me your derision. The name calling is unwarranted and immature.
You certainly implied it. So would you favor a ban on AK-47s and similar type weapons?

Old 02-15-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Well, it does make one wonder what is going on in these other so called first world countries that don't have the extreme problems with this kind of repeated violence that the US does have.

It's not all up to regulation, but they obviously must be doing something right that we obviously aren't.
I agree. Its definitely a multifaceted issue. I think another big part of the issue is our horrendously bad healthcare system - another thing a certain sector of our society refuses to acknowledge.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:51 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Not at all following your post.
The reaction seems to be "we need more laws".

Laws are only effective up to a point.

It's exactly like the seat belts. We already have mandatory seat belt laws, yet people still needlessly die because they refuse to wear their seatbelts. I just read about a 16 year old girl driving herself to school who died when she wrecked her car, and was not wearing her seatbelt. All the laws to save that girl, such as car safety laws and the speed limit, were already in place. And she ignored them all.

Murder is already against the law. Florida has the death penalty. What exactly will more legislation achieve?

We have to change people's nature...whether it's their hearts, their minds, their impulsivity, their mental health, our communities, our society.

I am not saying "do nothing".

I am saying, doing more of the same will not help.

If we want different results, we need different approaches.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:52 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerse View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...mental-n727221

"President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun."

MAGA!!
How many threads are you planning to post this on Immerse. This is the third time I've seen the same post, and it's the same lie every time I find it. Of course, the story itself was a real story. No doubt about that. However, the part that's untrue is where you say he signed it on Tuesday. I know, I know, you are hoping most of the people who tow your lines won't even bother to click the link. And if they do, maybe they won't notice the date of the story is February 28th, 2017! Yeah, that's a year ago, not Tuesday. Please, please, please, stop spreading this lie. If you want to talk about this particular story, that's fine, go do it on the thread that was started about the same story almost a year ago. This is not fresh news, and you either know it or you don't even bother to read your own source materials.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:53 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Local law enforcement: No known ties between militia and school shooter

So CNN and the leftist media have pooped themselves on this story on worldwide television, yet again.

Still more 'Fake News'.
https://www.snopes.com/did-shooters-...ture-maga-hat/

Did the Florida Shooter's Instagram Profile Picture Feature a MAGA Hat?
A photograph purportedly showing Nikolas Cruz in a red "Make America Great Again" hat was taken from his Instagram account.

Verdict: TRUE

Old 02-15-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
The reaction seems to be "we need more laws".

Laws are only effective up to a point.

It's exactly like the seat belts. We already have mandatory seat belt laws, yet people still needlessly die because they refuse to wear their seatbelts. I just read about a 16 year old girl driving herself to school who died when she wrecked her car, and was not wearing her seatbelt. All the laws to save that girl, such as car safety laws and the speed limit, were already in place. And she ignored them all.

Murder is already against the law. Florida has the death penalty. What exactly will
more legislation achieve?

We have to change people's nature...whether it's their hearts, their minds, their impulsivity, their mental health, our communities, our society.

I am not saying "do nothing".

I am saying, doing more of the same will not help.

If we want different results, we need different approaches.
About 15,000 lives per year are saved because of seat belt laws. I'm happy with that and I wish more people would understand how important it is to wear a seat belt 100% of the time.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:54 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Do you imagine that other countries don't have despondent young men? Yet they don't go in over and over and over and shoot up their classmates.

Why is that do you suppose?
This has been stated repeatedly and yet it keeps getting ignored.

Other countries do not put their children on psychotropic drugs in 1st grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies