Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 12:25 PM

29,556 posts, read 9,768,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Assuming that the FBI works on an overnight basis to monitor hundreds of millions or BILLIONS (worldwide) of people and their trillions of messages....is ridiculous.

It is not the job of the FBI to protect us from our follies. It is the job of government and regulation to make sure the person never gets the opportunity.

As we speak, another school shooting is reportedly underway. It won't stop until Americans decide it will. Neither a "Police State" nor "hoping for better human behavior" will help.

So interesting how many of the same people who championed "making government small enough to drown in the bathtub" now want us to have expensive and qualified Federal Agents making major decisions overnight on forum posts on the interweb.

Won't happen. If you are intent on fixing this, you will have to do it by donating money and volunteer work to the proper groups and at the ballot box. Period. Mommy and Daddy FBI cannot protect us from Capitalism ($$ for guns).
True, but I'm not sure I entirely agree about the job of the FBI and/or those expectations...

True, they can't possibly follow up on all leads or stop all acts of terrorism, but to some extent we can and should expect some level of performance that includes proper action when all signals are there to suggest proper action is should be taken.

One thing is to be overwhelmed with warnings and all other problems the FBI must face when it comes to tracking down these "needles in a haystack" signs of eminent threat, but it also bothers me that they are always "off the hook" even when it seems they should have done better.

"Dropping the ball," in any case is not acceptable, because we SHOULD be able to count on law enforcement to follow up and address legitimate tips/information about bad folks getting ready to do bad things before they do. Or else, let's stop paying them to do so!

No doubt in any case, the proper protocol for the FBI to process and handle such information forever needs to be re-evaluated and if necessary improved so that "dropping the ball" is made less likely, and dropping the ball something of an offense as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 12:27 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,997,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Assuming that the FBI works on an overnight basis to monitor hundreds of millions or BILLIONS (worldwide) of people and their trillions of messages....is ridiculous.

It is not the job of the FBI to protect us from our follies. It is the job of government and regulation to make sure the person never gets the opportunity.

As we speak, another school shooting is reportedly underway. It won't stop until Americans decide it will. Neither a "Police State" nor "hoping for better human behavior" will help.

So interesting how many of the same people who championed "making government small enough to drown in the bathtub" now want us to have expensive and qualified Federal Agents making major decisions overnight on forum posts on the interweb.

Won't happen. If you are intent on fixing this, you will have to do it by donating money and volunteer work to the proper groups and at the ballot box. Period. Mommy and Daddy FBI cannot protect us from Capitalism ($$ for guns).
Nice try to blow this up and misrepresent what was said.

This was an individual who CALLED and SPOKE to the FBI with knowledge that this particular human was in possession of guns, had a history of trouble, said they wanted to kill people, and suspected they were going to shoot up a school. We are talking about human intelligence being hand delivered to the FBI and the FBI didn't even bother with a door knock.

While I do wish for smaller government, thats clearly not what we have or will get, so my second wish is to at least get what we are paying for with our tax dollars, and ignoring their own protocol leading to the deaths of 17 and injuries of who knows how many more when information was handed to them on a silver platter is NOT what we are paying for when we are told they are the "Worlds Premier Law Enforcement Agency" or whatever.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:27 PM

52,790 posts, read 34,678,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Wow..., not sure what to make of all you included in your comment (only a short excerpt quoted above), but this about "what to call it" reminds me of how important some seemed to think it was to call terrorists "Islamic terrorists."

Doesn't matter what you call it! Regardless the rhetoric, the adjectives, a terrorist is a terrorist, madness is madness, and evil, mad, sick violent nut bags come in all shapes, sizes, colors, religions and ages. Be nice if we could keep them from having a gun too, but not if they can help it...
that poster regularly writes 1000-word diatribes raving about 'evil whitey', no matter the topic. best to ignore her.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:40 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,803,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I graduated in 1964 we never had anything like that, my brother graduated from High School in 1957 and there were no shooting teams in his school either.
I graduated in 1968. No gun problems then either. One reason is that there were no guns (maybe a handful with the outdoor/woodsy types). And nothing even close to an AR-15.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:40 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,341,354 times
After all the outrage has died down, nothing is gonna change. Guns are embedded in the fabric and culture of our country. There isn’t gonna be a gun ban or an assault rifle band because too many people have too much skin in the game and we feel we need them.

We’re gonna be right back here discussing another school shooting, soon.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:41 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,860,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Yes, no with qualification, and yes. I have been in CS and CN tear gas in the military with riot training; but never sprayed with it as a civilian.

But, yes, I am serious about empowering our students. I once knew a masseuse at one job in the 1970's and we were in the Village when one man spat at her. She swung her purse and knocked him out. He and his partner did not like the fact that I had one woman under each arm. I later found out that she kept two rolls of quarters in her purse - I was surprised she did not kill him!

Defense can be all about using what is available. In today's world the kids cannot have guns like I used to have in school (I also graduated in 1964 from HS). But they can have quarters or common items like books, shoes, and chairs. But more so that that; they need training to operate as a 'team'.

No matter what we spend on protection it will never be enough. We cannot guard every child in every classroom. There are some individuals, even if they did not have a gun, would still find another way to kill.
So you have never been in such situation, nor have any real experience with it, but at least you know a woman who got spit on and hit the person with her purse.

It is so absurd what you are saying, I do not know if you are trolling or not.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:53 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,803,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
After all the outrage has died down, nothing is gonna change. Guns are embedded in the fabric and culture of our country. There isn’t gonna be a gun ban or an assault rifle band because too many people have too much skin in the game and we feel we need them.

That's the wrong attitude. We voted these people in, we can vote them out.

I'm Republican through and through. I've never voted Democrat. But if Republicans don't do some gun control, come November I will. My representative, John Faso, will be the first one.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:53 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,090,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post

Yep.

We waste millions upon millions of dollars investigating everything and everyone. Seems like we could put together a task force to come up with some solutions.

Not that it would accomplish much, but it's a better use of resources than what we're doing now.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:54 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,519,677 times
Here’s Why Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Never Reported Nikolas Cruz to the Police

Nikolas Cruz was a known threat. Known by the administrators of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. It’s a clear case where a known dangerous student was not reported to the police. Why?

Because back in 2013, the Broward County School Board adopted a program where they don’t relay information to police about troubled students.

NPR reported in Fla. School District Trying To Curb School-To-Prison Pipeline;

It’s a move away from so-called “zero tolerance” policies that require schools to refer even minor misdemeanors to the police. Critics call it a “school to prison pipeline.”

Under a new program adopted by the Broward County School District, non-violent misdemeanors — even those that involve alcohol, marijuana or drug paraphernalia — will now be handled by the schools instead of the police.

Cruz was banned from carrying a backpack at school after bullets were found in his backpack. Cruz was expelled from MSD last year after a fight with his ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend.

Non-violent misdemeanors? Even so, red flags were flying.

Again, the Broward County School Board has an official policy requiring that they don’t tell the police about non-violent incidents with troubled youth.

“There were problems with him last year threatening students, and I guess he was asked to leave campus,” Maths teacher Jim Gard told The Miami Herald.

Let’s look at a law that might cover that.

784.011 Assault. —
(1) An “assault” is an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent.

(2) Whoever commits an assault shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

So another Liberal Feel Good program once again stepped in the way of the laws we have on the books being effective. Because last I checked, his actions of making threats to students and teachers constitutes assault.

It is possible that Nikolas Cruz would have been Baker Acted and received the needed medical attention he required before this all happened. But that wasn’t the case and sadly, 17 people lost their lives because of “feelz“.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,060,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Correct? Israel guards its schools against terrorist attack from the Arabs that surround them and have vowed their destruction. Nutters in America wish to arm educators and have ex military roam the halls simply so the Adolescent Gun Cult can keep their cool toys.

Big difference.

What other civilized nation except Israel has to consider bulletproofing their kids and arming the teachers to prevent other gun nutters from coming in and killing the students? Please name me one.
Yep, constantly insulting people is most certainly the way to advance an argument... For children maybe...

If any conversation is going to be productive we all have to drop the attitudes,insults and emotions and just talk WITH people instead of talking PAST them or AT them with constant insults and belittling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies