Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And what was their recourse if things weren't as peachy as presented?

Or what if they just wanted to do something else?
They would do what poorer women did - get a job. It was considered a privilege to be able to stay home with kids and live on one income. Many of these fifties parents were children of immigrants whose parents both had to work. My mother had a job before she got married and had kids. She could go back to that if need be and grandparents or other older relatives were around to watch the kids.

Women went to college then too. It is a myth that one income family was some kind of slavery or that that women could only be nurses and teachers - although those are two good careers anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 08:51 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They would do what poorer women did - get a job. It was considered a privilege to be able to stay home with kids and live on one income. Many of these fifties parents were children of immigrants whose parents both had to work. My mother had a job before she got married and had kids. She could go back to that if need be and grandparents or other older relatives were around to watch the kids.

Women went to college then too. It is a myth that one income family was some kind of slavery or that that women could only be nurses and teachers - although those are two good careers anyway.
Yes, getting a job would be the way to go. In those "ideal" days, women often didn't (couldn't) have their names on the house, car or have credit in their own names. There was no enforced child support or daycare, and many jobs that paid well enough to support a family were reserved for men, regardless of how educated a woman was.

So, while some women did "have it made", many women certainly did not. Or did so long as they only wanted or pursued what society allowed them to do.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:54 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
They think it's is horrible because they do not understand the value of a happy family that spends time together.

It's amazing how many women "can't deal with kids" yet that is precisely what a mother does. She cares for her children. Yet today's women really hate kids. They do NOT want to spend time with them. It's the truth. They dump them at school, daycare, camps, relatives, etc. you'd think spending 8 hours with your own child was a death sentence the way they run from their kids, saying how unfulfilling and mind numbing it is. How it's MORE fulfilling to work. It reminds me of an episode of king of queens where the woman is asked why she doesn't have kids yet. She says she is concentrating on her career as a secretary. So ... filling paper and answering phones and getting coffee is more fulfilling than loving and teaching and raising a child? Yep.

It's sick and a mental disorder.
First of all. I am sorry your mother don't / didn't love you. Hopefully your father are/ were there for you instead.

Second of all, why do you work? You! Are you are father yourself? Why are you working? I hope as a dad you are a stay at home dad. Because it goes two ways. Don't you agree?

However...if you do not, then you really do think the women's place is at home raising kids while the father is responsible for bringing in the money? You don't think women has a place in the workforce if they are mothers.

You said :

" It reminds me of an episode of king of queens where the woman is asked why she doesn't have kids yet. She says she is concentrating on her career as a secretary. So ... filling paper and answering phones and getting coffee is more fulfilling than loving and teaching and raising a child? "

I mean, clearly, according to you, even women who choose not to have kids...are "bad" mothers...lol! ^^

Unreal.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:59 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
They think it's is horrible because they do not understand the value of a happy family that spends time together.

It's amazing how many women "can't deal with kids" yet that is precisely what a mother does. She cares for her children. Yet today's women really hate kids. They do NOT want to spend time with them. It's the truth. They dump them at school, daycare, camps, relatives, etc. you'd think spending 8 hours with your own child was a death sentence the way they run from their kids, saying how unfulfilling and mind numbing it is. How it's MORE fulfilling to work. It reminds me of an episode of king of queens where the woman is asked why she doesn't have kids yet. She says she is concentrating on her career as a secretary. So ... filling paper and answering phones and getting coffee is more fulfilling than loving and teaching and raising a child? Yep.

It's sick and a mental disorder.
The secretary would probably have to keep working even if she had kids. Then she might mess up from exhaustion and file the wrong thing and end up on welfare. Can't really blame a lower income woman not wanting to be poorer and more stressed. Also, it isn't nice to make fun of someone's job, all work is honorable.

The women now with a real choice of being a SAHM would more likely be one with a higher paying career. They can often truly afford for one spouse to stay at home but think they have too much to lose by taking time off. Look there first.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The secretary would probably have to keep working even if she had kids. Then she might mess up from exhaustion and file the wrong thing and end up on welfare. Can't really blame a lower income woman not wanting to be poorer and more stressed. Also, it isn't nice to make fun of someone's job, all work is honorable.

The women now with a real choice of being a SAHM would more likely be one with a higher paying career. They can often truly afford for one spouse to stay at home but think they have too much to lose by taking time off. Look there first.
I don't think the poster is capable of that. He ( I really hope it's not a she ), is so out of touch it's scary. He sounds like a person who hates women and hates the thought of ever having a female boss, or a female telling him what to do. Not to mention a female president.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:08 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Nonsense. Just nonsense.
So you would 100% encourage her to be a mom and wife with NO FURTHER COMMENTS?

Riiiiiiight.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
First of all. I am sorry your mother don't / didn't love you. Hopefully your father are/ were there for you instead.

Second of all, why do you work? You! Are you are father yourself? Why are you working? I hope as a dad you are a stay at home dad. Because it goes two ways. Don't you agree?

However...if you do not, then you really do think the women's place is at home raising kids while the father is responsible for bringing in the money? You don't think women has a place in the workforce if they are mothers.

You said :

" It reminds me of an episode of king of queens where the woman is asked why she doesn't have kids yet. She says she is concentrating on her career as a secretary. So ... filling paper and answering phones and getting coffee is more fulfilling than loving and teaching and raising a child? "

I mean, clearly, according to you, even women who choose not to have kids...are "bad" mothers...lol! ^^

Unreal.
So you start off with insults.

Assume I am a man.

Assume I believe that women should never work.

And close with a statement that women who don;t have kids are bad mothers.

Brilliant discussion. Truly. Kudos to whatever school you attended.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
So you start off with insults.

Assume I am a man.

Assume I believe that women should never work.

And close with a statement that women who don;t have kids are bad mothers.

Brilliant discussion. Truly. Kudos to whatever school you attended.

Yes
yes
yes you think so
Thank You

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 02-20-2018 at 09:44 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 09:12 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,797 times
If a woman, wants to be a housewife, that's fine. I only take issue when housewives criticize working moms and vice versa. Plus, some women don't have the option of solely staying at home. There are some stay at home for the first few years and then return to work. Also, you have women who may stay at home but leave the kids in the care of a in home nanny (which seems senseless when you could save money and raise the kids yourself since you are home).

Additionally, there are fathers who would like to see their kids more often than just 4:00 am when the kids are likely still sleeping.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Yeah, because what you think about feminism is actually what it is even though you are admittedly not one.

I am a woman. I don't want more than men. Many women today want to be wives and mothers and that is a great thing. I, admittedly AM a feminist so evidently you are wrong to think that all feminists believe all women MUST WORK.

FYI - a "free choicer" (lol) is a feminist
Nope. Do some research.

Do you support girls only scholarships?
Girls only science clubs?
Lowering standards in physical jobs so women can get hired?

That's MORE: Not equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies