Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 01:04 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Nope. Do some research.

Do you support girls only scholarships?
Girls only science clubs?
Lowering standards in physical jobs so women can get hired?

That's MORE: Not equal.
Considering you cannot name a feminist organization that seeks to denigrate women who are mothers and wives, I'd suggest you take your own advice and do some research on what feminism is.

FYI:

There are boys only scholarships (and schools)
There are boys only science clubs (and organizations)

On lowering standards, many women do not support lowering standards for physical jobs, including myself and again, I am a feminist. If you cannot do the job from a physical perspective for ones that require specific sorts of endurance and/or strength then you should not be hired for that job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 01:11 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Again:

Name ONE feminist organization that SUPPORTS marriage and family as an equal choice to single motherhood, abortions and working. Not looking for more or less. Equal. As an equal option with resources comparable to the resources that are used to support single motherhood, abortions and working. As in here are choices for today's women -- and included in the discussion is marriage and family. Not more. Not better. Just included.

Does not exist. I've looked for it.

I am very familiar with feminism. Very. I get it. And it's why I no longer consider myself a feminist. Although, I guess feminists wouldn't consider me a feminist either because I do not support abortion. And that's a deal breaker. Only *real* feminists support abortion, so I've been told.

Where I live the local museums offer all sorts of education to kids. The free classes however are GIRLS only.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes, today girls are given career options. They are aware there are no gender boundaries.
We were in 1950-60's were we not? Talking about the lack of options during that time?
Where do you get girls are being discouraged from having a family. Because they aren't encouraged to start their hope chest in 7th grade?
Where do you get they are being told to postpone marriage.
I've had sons and grandsons in school. They have had as much opportunity and resources for higher education and career options as girls. In fact these are not gender specific classes.

Oh calm down. No one said no woman was ever able to have a job. No one said jobs don't exist. No one said no one hired women EVER.
If you cant comprehend what you read or are just going to be willfully ignorant there is no point it discussing the topic with you.

History tells us the opportunities women had. As well our mothers, aunts, grandmothers. Maybe some hated it, maybe some loved being a housewife, some felt trapped, some just wanted more opportunities. The facts are there in black and white, in documentaries that opportunities for women during the 1950's and 60's, prior to that and even after that were limited.

Still looking for that feminist organization that rails against marriage and motherhood.
Every legitimate feminist organization I have looked at supports women and women's issues, whatever they may be.
Actually, yes, that is the EXACT picture they are trying to paint. That women were miserable, hated their kids, wanted to WORK WORK WORK, were so unfulfilled being at home ... /shrug/. And it's simply not true. This idea that all women wanted to work is false. And that if given the choice every single one would've dumped their kids somewhere and clamored to work a 50-hour week is ludicrous.

In reading these posts, not ONE poster has even entertained the idea that these women could've been VERY HAPPY. Except you in your post above.

Because that doesn't fit the revisionist history that supports the narrative.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Again:

Name ONE feminist organization that SUPPORTS marriage and family as an equal choice to single motherhood, abortions and working. Not looking for more or less. Equal. As an equal option with resources comparable to the resources that are used to support single motherhood, abortions and working. As in here are choices for today's women -- and included in the discussion is marriage and family. Not more. Not better. Just included.

I am very familiar with feminism. Very. I get it. And it's why I no longer consider myself a feminist. Although, I guess feminists wouldn't consider me a feminist either because I do not support abortion. And that's a deal breaker. Only *real* feminists support abortion, so I've been told.

Where I live the local museums offer all sorts of education to kids. The free classes however are GIRLS only.
All feminist organizations support women making choices about their lives that they want to make/are capable of making. None of them take a stand against being a housewife.

Not all feminists "support abortion" either, as you mentioned earlier, most feminists however are pro-choice being that women should be able to decide on abortion and other reproductive health concerns. I personally would not get an elective abortion unless my life were in danger but I am pro-choice because my personal beliefs on the issue, should not supercede other persons beliefs about their own lives.

There are plenty of classes that offer education to kids that are gender specific. I have both a son and daughter and have enrolled both of them in gender specific classes for specific topics.

Will note as well that men can be and are feminists as they also can and do want women to be have to make their own choices in life and not have any gender specific barriers in place for the trajector of women and girls' lives.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
All feminist organizations support women making choices about their lives that they want to make/are capable of making. None of them take a stand against being a housewife.

Not all feminists "support abortion" either, as you mentioned earlier, most feminists however are pro-choice being that women should be able to decide on abortion and other reproductive health concerns. I personally would not get an elective abortion unless my life were in danger but I am pro-choice because my personal beliefs on the issue, should not supercede other persons beliefs about their own lives.

There are plenty of classes that offer education to kids that are gender specific. I have both a son and daughter and have enrolled both of them in gender specific classes for specific topics.

Will note as well that men can be and are feminists as they also can and do want women to be have to make their own choices in life and not have any gender specific barriers in place for the trajector of women and girls' lives.
None of them support it, or offer resources for it. Or mention it in any way.

But they support single moms, abortions and working like nobody's business. They put their money and effort into what they support. Which is not being a housewife or a mother, unless there is no dad in the picture.

And pro-choice is support of abortion. Because it says, yes it's ok. Abortion is not BC, btw. But that is a topic for another thread. Not this one. And I've been told very specifically that if you are NOT pro-abortion -- which is pro-choice, although saying pro-choice makes people feel better about being pro-abortion -- you are not a feminist.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Actually, yes, that is the EXACT picture they are trying to paint. That women were miserable, hated their kids, wanted to WORK WORK WORK, were so unfulfilled being at home ... /shrug/. And it's simply not true. This idea that all women wanted to work is false. And that if given the choice every single one would've dumped their kids somewhere and clamored to work a 50-hour week is ludicrous.

In reading these posts, not ONE poster has even entertained the idea that these women could've been VERY HAPPY. Except you in your post above.

Because that doesn't fit the revisionist history that supports the narrative.
Actually their point was that if women want to work, they should be able to. I doubt you want to force men to stay home and do chores and take care of children (and regardless of what you think, they actually are capable of doing so).

No one in their right mind believes "all women" want to work outside of the home (again SAHMs do work - they work at home and if you had to hire someone to do their many jobs, you'd be paying a lot of money).

And you are communicating with real women. I was a SAHM. I would rather work outside of the home so many women actually don't want to be SAHMs. I am one of them. I did it because at the time we felt it was best for our family. If I wanted to work, I would have worked during that time. After my youngest was over the age I felt comfortable putting her in a daycare facility, I went back to work and have been happy being back at work. More happy than I was at home. I also don't work 50 hours a week.

Not sure why you think women primarily work long hours as secretaries lol. I am in senior management and I'm salaried and I work 40 hours per week. If I want to, I can work from home and still get paid the same thing. I have a staff I manage. My career is very fulfilling and my kids are growing up fast and I'm glad I have my career to keep me busy and a part of my life that will be enjoyable once they are adults and busy living their own lives.

There are many women who are extremely happy being at home. As noted, I have friends who are SAHMs and they homeschool their kids. They are exhausted, but happy in their lives and they live great lives. Not sure why you have a problem with women working outside of the home. It is very strange to me how today many men in particular like to act like feminism is something that its not.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:38 PM

23,986 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Again:

All the organizations support a woman doing what she wants. Some members in the very early 2nd wave had opinions about SAHMs, but they were the minority. Those attitudes vanished with the always wearing dark suits and little dark string ties.

Nobody is for abortion. All are for choice.

Have you spoken the the museum? Perhaps those girl only free classes are paid for by a donor.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Actually their point was that if women want to work, they should be able to. I doubt you want to force men to stay home and do chores and take care of children (and regardless of what you think, they actually are capable of doing so).

No one in their right mind believes "all women" want to work outside of the home (again SAHMs do work - they work at home and if you had to hire someone to do their many jobs, you'd be paying a lot of money).

And you are communicating with real women. I was a SAHM. I would rather work outside of the home so many women actually don't want to be SAHMs. I am one of them. I did it because at the time we felt it was best for our family. If I wanted to work, I would have worked during that time. After my youngest was over the age I felt comfortable putting her in a daycare facility, I went back to work and have been happy being back at work. More happy than I was at home. I also don't work 50 hours a week.

Not sure why you think women primarily work long hours as secretaries lol. I am in senior management and I'm salaried and I work 40 hours per week. If I want to, I can work from home and still get paid the same thing. I have a staff I manage. My career is very fulfilling and my kids are growing up fast and I'm glad I have my career to keep me busy and a part of my life that will be enjoyable once they are adults and busy living their own lives.

There are many women who are extremely happy being at home. As noted, I have friends who are SAHMs and they homeschool their kids. They are exhausted, but happy in their lives and they live great lives. Not sure why you have a problem with women working outside of the home. It is very strange to me how today many men in particular like to act like feminism is something that its not.
Um, I'm female. I love how people always think I'm a man because I dare have a different opinion. I don't care if women want to work /don't want to work, whatever. I seriously don't do whatever you want in your family.

I DO care about revisionist history that portrays this picture of pregnant, barefoot chained to the kitchen, no other options, hate their kids/families and IF ONLY ... IF ONLY WOMEN COULD'VE WORKED THEY WOULD'VE BEEN SO HAPPY BACK THEN. All their problems wooosh GONE. If only they had jobs.

Because it is a lie. And is used as propaganda to reinforce the feminist agenda all over again ... men bad, women good, women would be happier working. never once seen a feminist organization suggest that a woman COULD be happy by getting married and having kids. If you see one, let me know.

Women have worked for hundreds of years in all different fields. They owned property, had bank accounts, etc etc etc. And they didn't want the right to vote. I would guess 99% of women fully believe there was a full-on revolt in every community across the US for that, but it is simply NOT TRUE.

Most people who post in these types of threads have no knowledge of history or have been so brainwashed -- which is what it is -- about the lives that women have led in this country.

And I honestly believe that women were happier when they were able to spend more time with their family. Maybe that's why there were fewer divorces. Because people understood what family MEANT and choose spouses wisely. They understood the importance of the family unit. And both parents wanted to keep the family together. Not because of money, but because of love and loyalty.

I don't think women are secretaries. I posted a line from a tv show that has been taken out of context.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
All the organizations support a woman doing what she wants. Some members in the very early 2nd wave had opinions about SAHMs, but they were the minority. Those attitudes vanished with the always wearing dark suits and little dark string ties.

Nobody is for abortion. All are for choice.

Have you spoken the the museum? Perhaps those girl only free classes are paid for by a donor.
Please post a link to an organization that is supporting being a housewife.

A link, a blog, a sign, a logo. Anything by any feminist org that shows they support housewives.

And the choice they are FOR is abortion. That's pro abortion. It's word semantics so some can trick themselves into believing that they aren't supporting abortion. Because it is easier to say pro choice than pro abortion.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:48 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
No. Women stayed at home because they wanted to. Not because, gosh durn it, they all ran around town begging for jobs and no one would hire them. That's a lie.

Women didn't want to work. They believed in their marriages and their children. And wanted to be moms.

Revisionist history is dangerous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Who are you to speak for women back then?

My mother - born in the 1930's and now deceased wanted CHOICES. She wanted a credit card in her name. She HATED housecleaning and being a SAHM.

Yeah? I feel the same way about hardcore conservative men. Ugly and hate women.
Quote:
So you speak for one woman? And apparently that means everyone else felt exactly the same. My grandpa liked salami and cream cheese sandwiches with pickles. So I guess you do too? Since if one person likes it that means everyone else MUST also?

We are generalizing about society. Do you believe that every single SAHM in the United States was hysterically miserable and wanted to work and hated their kids and husbands? Every single one?

Do schools teach critical thinking at all? Don't answer that. I know the answer.
Why do you get to say all women didn't want to work and that they believed in their marriages and children? (which, BTW, women working outside the home do as well). Why does Ringo1 not get the same privilege as you here?

Why is it so hard to acknowledge that women wanted different things then, and want different things NOW? Where is your critical thinking?

The '50's have been romanticized as the golden era - if that was the case, feminism would never have been born of it and the dissatisfaction felt by so many. You may not like feminism but you can't deny that it came about because many women were not happy and wanted to change things. Now, go eat some salami and pickles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies