Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 12:59 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,929,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Excise taxes on each bullet will, at a minimum, help to pay for all the funerals, healthcare needs, and damages as a result of shootings.

I'll ask again.
what exactly are taxes going to do to stop a criminal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 01:02 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I'll ask again.
what exactly are taxes going to do to stop a criminal?
But that's not really their focus, is it?
A bullet tax is just plain stupid.
It would only punish those who
practice and enjoy shooting sports.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:03 PM

858 posts, read 708,003 times
Default So what's NRA's proposal to mental health?

So one of NRA's talking points is that it's not the Gun that kills people, it's the people who have the gun and that we should be focusing on mental health. Gotcha...so let's talk specifics. I'd be interested to what NRA supports and how it would get implemented.

I think we can all agree that this kid is mentally unstable. The warning signs were all there. His mom called the cops of him..neighbors called the cops...i think it was 23 times in total over the years. He was reported to the school, reported to the FBI, etc. Again, the signs were there however he really never committed any crime. At what point does the NRA feel this kid should have been on a list or failed a background check? Should these events have triggered a mental health examination where the results get shared into a background check DB? Should there be a mental health exam when purchasing a gun?

Given NRA's history of fighting to allow people on the no-fly list to purchase guns or saying that people deemed mentally unfit by a court should still be allowed to buy guns, what exactly does NRA propose to do in this situation?

Old 02-25-2018, 01:06 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
So one of NRA's talking points is that it's not the Gun that kills people, it's the people who have the gun and that we should be focusing on mental health. Gotcha...so let's talk specifics. I'd be interested to what NRA supports and how it would get implemented.

I think we can all agree that this kid is mentally unstable. The warning signs were all there. His mom called the cops of him..neighbors called the cops...i think it was 23 times in total over the years. He was reported to the school, reported to the FBI, etc. Again, the signs were there however he really never committed any crime. At what point does the NRA feel this kid should have been on a list or failed a background check? Should these events have triggered a mental health examination where the results get shared into a background check DB? Should there be a mental health exam when purchasing a gun?

Given NRA's history of fighting to allow people on the no-fly list to purchase guns or saying that people deemed mentally unfit by a court should still be allowed to buy guns, what exactly does NRA propose to do in this situation?
The thing with the no fly list, is you can be placed on it for being intoxicated on a flight. My cousin was placed on the no fly list for being drunk...

Now if no fly list was limited to credible threats, then I wouldn't have an issue with it neither would the NRA.

I am of the opinion, that if you are a credible threat, have substantial evidence of being a menace, then you should be reported to NICS...

Old 02-25-2018, 01:08 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
More guns for everyone!!!! That is their normal reply.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:21 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post

well where to start?

1. the NRA has been for EXPANDED background checks

2. the NRA is for mental health being part of the 'red flags' of a background check..... but....
.... in order for that it needs to be DOCUMENTED...something the liberals and the ACLU is against
.... liberals argue against adding the mental part of the background checks....they spin that it will be a violation of HIPAA

Quote:
it doesn't have to affect hipaa at all.... you go for a gun... instant 5 minute background check happens...comes back as code 99(or what ever)...."sorry sir, I can not sell this to you at this time, please check with the NSA you got this code (I don't know what the codes mean) you case number is this, please straighten out the issue before you return"

make it easy.. to include private sales
1. make it easy and no-cost to call/internet a background check...

2. make it generic to where no personal/private info is given to those that have no need to know... ie.rusults are: background good, go ahead with sale...or red flag code 1234, no sale today, have prospective buyer call 555-555-5555 to straighten out situation before sale.

simple yes?
but noooo, liberals have to complain that it would be a violation of hipaa

3. as to the 'no fly list'.... please remember the 'no-fly-list' is different from the 'terrorist watch list'... Ted kennedy, and others, too include the woman with noisy kids have made the 'no-fly-list'.... so attaching it to a 'no-fly-list', when those people have NOT been vetted as dangerous or possible terrorists is a violation of those peoples rights....until we properly vet these 'lists' it does not make sense to sit there and violate someones rights.....to include the 4th amendment rights

heck even the ACLU says its stupid
https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-free...oples-freedoms

98 thousand listed as '''possible''' terrorist ties (terrorist watch list)......NONE convicted.......so are we to violate the 4th amendment too

so again
most conservatives and EVEN THE NRA have zero problems with background checks....easier background checks.....heck with today's technology a COMPLETE background check could be done in MINUTES,...too include medical (and a 'red flag' will NOT violate hipaa laws either)

Better medical documentation and referrals.....if some one has a mental issue..document it for jiminy crickets sake..... young adults like adam lanza or this cruz dude should have been committed to an institution long ago...and had the doctors and his mother actually seeked help for the boy, he would have

most conservatives and EVEN THE NRA have zero problems with......more education, more training.......require some classes.....heck most of us, who LEGALLY own handguns have taken the CC class....and the standard could set set federally, but the states have control of how they do it, to accomplish the mission

better communication between all of our alphabet/federal/state/city/local agencies.....that would help too, and not only about purchasing weapons, but all other things too such as missing child support, revoked licenses, voting registration, Lautenberg rules, medical mistakes(would it be nice if doctor A knew that doctor B prescribed this, so he/she can NOT prescribe something that will counteract/bad side effect medicine(to include RX(A) knowing that RX(B) filled dis,dat or the other ding, etc)))

over 50% of the homeless are Vets, and over 85% of the homeless are homeless because of mental health issues... yet the liberals NEVER address it

WHAT ARE THE LIBERALS GOING TO DO/POLICY/FUND TO HELP WITH THE MENTAL HEALTH ISSSUES THAT ARE PLAGUING AMERICA......?????????

but to ban guns and to confiscate all weapons would not only be a violation of our 2nd amendment right...but also of the 4th amendment.......... the funny thing is liberals were all up in arms (pun intended) about "stop and frisk" saying it violated the 4th

Old 02-25-2018, 01:24 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Mental health and any possible solutions is not within the NRAs 'scope' though. They are in place to protect our rights to own and obtain weapons.

Let the people and groups that specialize in mental health come up with solutions.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
The thing with the no fly list, is you can be placed on it for being intoxicated on a flight. My cousin was placed on the no fly list for being drunk...

Now if no fly list was limited to credible threats, then I wouldn't have an issue with it neither would the NRA.

I am of the opinion, that if you are a credible threat, have substantial evidence of being a menace, then you should be reported to NICS...
My brother was puton the no-fly list once for no reason at all. He didn't breal the law or anything. Not saying the database is commonly wrong, just it happens every once in a while. As for being drunk on an airline, it depends how drunk someone is. If they start being a problem other than being sick, then I can fully understand them on the No Fly List.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:28 PM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Stopped by a new gun shop in my area. There was a group of men and a woman shopping so I start up a conversation with the one of the men behind the counter about a possible ban of the AR-15.
Within minutes everyone in the store is giving their 2 cents worth but the gist of it is that not one of them would give any of their guns.
Most of the customers either former military and as one retired Vet mentioned it: he wasn't giving his gun without a fight.
That's entirely his prerogative.

'Murica!

Old 02-25-2018, 01:29 PM

16,279 posts, read 10,421,470 times
We can't go back now and I support the 2nd Amendment, But it's kind of hard to argue that guns are the reason this mass shootings of schools and churches is almost exclusive to the US where guns are so prominent.. Unless you are prepared to argue that mental illness is exclusive to the US as well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies