Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 07:58 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What? Sell them after a ban is lifted and everyone can buy them from any store again? Not a good investment.
well, then don't buy them.

Just don't make statement like, "They are all scared, that is why they have to buy guns."

The only point I am making is that some people buy more guns before gun law is passed for investment purpose. They are not all scared like you claimed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What? Sell them after a ban is lifted and everyone can buy them from any store again? Not a good investment.
well, you never know.

Maybe AR will not be sold anymore in the future, maybe legal gun owners can still sell their guns (investment) to the auction house. (I am not talking about ebay lol)

So who knows? If they have extra money to invest, I see nothing wrong with it.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:02 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
I apologize if you weren't the one making the claim. I do know that sales have been down since Trump was elected. The general consensus is that the worry about gun control has gone down. I would be interested in seeing the gun sales figures in about a month. I would hope that you do see the correlation between new permits and new owners though. I understand that not ALL new C.C. permits are new owners but I would argue that many are and gun ownership is increasing.
Typically people own guns before getting CC permits, since it is legal to purchase them without the licence. Its a carry licence, not a purchase licence. IMO it might make sense to make it into a purchase licence.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:04 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
One used to be able to buy an AK-47, SKS or PSL for less than 400 bucks. Right now I see the PSL going for 1600 on gunbroker. So ya, these are great investments. If they do any new "ban" there will be a big grace period and they will trade like gold. No ones afraid. When the gubmint tells us now or never people jump on it because they think it will be the last chance to get one. It never has been before.

I never even wanted an AR until lib politicians started spouting bans so I bought two. I can sell both of them for way more than I bought them for. Well, I could have if it wasn't for that damn boating accident back in 2012. Lost everthin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
One used to be able to buy an AK-47, SKS or PSL for less than 400 bucks. Right now I see the PSL going for 1600 on gunbroker. So ya, these are great investments. If they do any new "ban" there will be a big grace period and they will trade like gold. No ones afraid. When the gubmint tells us now or never people jump on it because they think it will be the last chance to get one. It never has been before.

I never even wanted an AR until lib politicians started spouting bans so I bought two. I can sell both of them for way more than I bought them for.
Exactly!

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
I can't help but thank goodness for Trump.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Hillary had won she would have stacked the Supreme Court with her people, and right now we would all be getting ready for the rewrite of the Second Amendment. The Republicans would roll over out of fear and a part of our history and heritage and what made America would be lost.
Without the Second amendment we wouldn't have America.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:11 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
All of this is due to ill thought out or politically driven agenda that is doomed to failure. If Houses desired to drive a stake through the ability to affect compromise and carefully detailed discussions regarding all those facets of the current spate of school shootings, including the mental health aspect, they could not have proposed a worse piece of nonsense to put forward.

Semi-autos are the favoured firearm for feral hog hunting as just one example of where they excel over the bolt actions. Try telling some hunter in Alaska he cannot go into the bush armed with anything but a crank and fire and you'll get handed your cojones in a pickle jar. A grizzly coming out of low brush on full charge already dying from the first hit ain't gonna wait patiently while you work the bolt a second time.

I had my first Marlin, model 60 micro-groove semi -auto .22 given to me for my 13th birthday. Never thought of shooting my schoolmates with the thing but it sure put the groundhog bounty up a notch from the local dairy farmers.

A very significant number of recreational shooters are involved in the sport of range built, quick response target acquisition "timed" exercises.

These are just some of the people I can think of that would be unfairly impacted by the use of the term "semi-auto" in such a broad brush approach.

No one with any knowledge would craft a bill lumping all "semi-auto" firearms together like a coffee can full of old nuts and screws. To do so thusly would set back any rational discussion by resultantly making opposing sides look totally unwilling to compromise.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:13 AM

989 posts, read 2,499,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Bad news if you are one of those people that think old-school hunting type firearms are OK and protected under the Constitution but that "weapons of war" like the AR-15 are too deadly and should be banned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp0KGpBFG60

Bolt-action rifles are the #1 most commonly used firearms for target shooting and hunting virtually anything that doesn't fly. They were developed around the turn of the century specifically as weapons of war due to their high power (most use full power cartridges with twice the range and 2-3 times the wounding capability of the AR's dinky .223 round) and rapid fire capabilities. During both World Wars, bolt-action rifles were far and away the most common weapons put in the hands of soldiers of both sides and hundreds of thousands (if not millions) died on the wrong end of one.

The example above is an Enfield Mk4... the UK's main service rifle during WW2. It hold 10 rounds (the same # that most want to limit bullet capacity to) and can be loaded by swapping out mags or pushing in 10 rounds all at once from a stripper clip from the top; either can be done in seconds.

So after you "liberate" America from the scourge semi-auto military rifles what are you gonna go after next? What will happen when another nutbag goes "mad minute" on innocents with his bolt action and kills just as many?
The 2nd amendment was written explicitly so that individual citizens could organize against government tyranny. This alone should quickly dispose of the argument to outlaw military type weapons.

James Madison wrote that the many checks and balances in the Constitution — the separation of powers between the executive, legislative, and judicial branches, for example — made it very unlikely that a tyrant could seize power. If a tyrant did, any tyrant, regardless of her or his advantages and even if the military were to remain loyal, would be far outnumbered by the unorganized militia of the United States, as private citizens are heavily armed with the sort of weapons well suited to military operations, and legally obligated by state laws to fight at the order of the governor.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:17 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

I never even wanted an AR until lib politicians started spouting bans so I bought two. I can sell both of them for way more than I bought them for. Well, I could have if it wasn't for that damn boating accident back in 2012. Lost everthin.
Haaar! Good one.

I don't get this proposed bill at all. If actually crafted as depicted, it's doomed to failure and almost designed to make future intelligent discussions impossible as both sides will have declared their rigid min/max positions.

This is just nutz.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Haaar! Good one.

I don't get this proposed bill at all. If actually crafted as depicted, it's doomed to failure and almost designed to make future intelligent discussions impossible as both sides will have declared their rigid min/max positions.

This is just nutz.
It is all about politics and somebody's irrational fear towards guns.

You are a gun owner, there is something wrong with you. I don't like you and you need to get rid of your guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies