Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 10:29 AM

19 posts, read 8,987 times

Advertisements

The way I hear the term "privileged" used, it almost sounds equivalent to having good parents. So if your parents push you to excel and make sacrifices to give you a good life then you need to "check your privilege." What a stupid concept, and how anti-American. Yea, let's be like 3rd world countries where parents laze around and eat while their kids starve. Liberal paradise. Don't you dare try to make your kids successful!

Old 02-28-2018, 10:38 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
I may not speak for all of those that lean left, but when I hear the term privileged in the context that you're referring to...

I think of it as growing up in an exceptional public school district, (or with parents who can afford private), access and money for extra curricular sports and activities, living in a safe community and neighborhood where gang violence, drug dealing and drive by shootings aren't commonplace, a college fund and family money to fall back on, etc, etc.

So yes, in my eyes it does have a lot to do with the parenting, but privilege, to me, also has a lot to do with how financially comfortable and stable the parents are, more so than if they're actively pushing their kids to excel.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:42 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
Also, a child growing up in a poor neighborhood may have a parent working two minimum wage jobs to make ends meet, but still can't afford to move to a better school district or pay for music education or extracurricular sports for their child. He/she may want and desire all the best for their child, but growing up in a poor neighborhood in a failing school district, surrounded by gangs and violence, that child would never be considered privileged.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:43 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I think of it as growing up in an exceptional public school district, (or with parents who can afford private), access and money for extra curricular sports and activities, living in a safe community and neighborhood where gang violence, drug dealing and drive by shootings aren't commonplace, a college fund and family money to fall back on, etc, etc.

So yes, in my eyes it does have a lot to do with the parenting, but privilege, to me, also has a lot to do with how financially comfortable and stable the parents are, more so than if they're actively pushing their kids to excel.

I would agree with this. Means more than just having good parents.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:00 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Privileged means you are the beneficiary of affirmative action because of circumstances totally beyond your control. Extra points in America if you are white, male, and come from an upper middle class home or above, in that order. Those three things open more doors for you than any abilities you may have.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:05 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Also, a child growing up in a poor neighborhood may have a parent working two minimum wage jobs to make ends meet, but still can't afford to move to a better school district or pay for music education or extracurricular sports for their child. He/she may want and desire all the best for their child, but growing up in a poor neighborhood in a failing school district, surrounded by gangs and violence, that child would never be considered privileged.
And if conservative activists find a way to help "non-privileged' students escape the educational ghetto of the NEA-dominated public school system, the (pseudo-)"liberals" are the first, and loudest, to whine.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by programmadora View Post
The way I hear the term "privileged" used, it almost sounds equivalent to having good parents. So if your parents push you to excel and make sacrifices to give you a good life then you need to "check your privilege." What a stupid concept, and how anti-American. Yea, let's be like 3rd world countries where parents laze around and eat while their kids starve. Liberal paradise. Don't you dare try to make your kids successful!
What's the motivation for targeting liberals with this question?

Old 02-28-2018, 11:08 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What's the motivation for targeting liberals with this question?
Trying to prove that privilege doesn't exist to soothe their guilty little hearts.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:09 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Privileged means you are the beneficiary of affirmative action because of circumstances totally beyond your control. Extra points in America if you are white, male, and come from an upper middle class home or above, in that order. Those three things open more doors for you than any abilities you may have.
Or, apparently a white 19yo female, that's what I think of when I hear privalge.

That Brock Turner kid, that's privilege.

Ethan Couch, the kid who claimed affluenza, that's privilege.

It seems that those with money play by a different set of rules, it just helps to have the "right" complexion, well to do parents, or go to a "better" school. It's seems overly simplistic, but also undeniable. Not saying that other kids can't get ahead, but the circumstances that you come from can certainly help.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:16 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
I may not speak for all of those that lean left, but when I hear the term privileged in the context that you're referring to...

But it also important how they GOT that privilege.

When you have one group that is economically held back with the use of unfair laws, economic and social discrimination and false criminal charges, while the other group is allowed to excel and prosper off of the sweat and earnings of the first group; or off illegal activities that are excused because you are in the majority, and when those advantages or disadvantages are propagated and extended throughout centuries, then that is privilege. And no matter how much you complain that "you didn't do it so you shouldn't have to account for it- or be culpable," you are still living with and taking advantage of or suffering from that system. That is inherited privilege.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies