Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 01:58 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,218,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
As many times as you've placed the "racist" card? Please...

Like I said... Go dig up the slave-owners' graves and get it. You realize that will also include Blacks who owned slaves, no? So, how do we know which Blacks are descendants of slaves? Or descendants of slave-owners?
HAHAHA...all of a sudden you’re pull some racist card accusation because you cannot formulate an intelligent response. Quite amusing.

You figured out who is who. You’re the one bothered. I am pretty sure it’s not that difficult to figure out who is or isn’t a recent American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 04:59 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,418,606 times
A thing that Maxine may be overlooking is how do we prove a specific Black family was descended from Black slaves from over 150 years ago? That would involve birth certificates, family writings, photographs, etc. Some of said items may be lacking for some of said ancestors.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:04 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,876,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
A thing that Maxine may be overlooking is how do we prove a specific Black family was descended from Black slaves from over 150 years ago? That would involve birth certificates, family writings, photographs, etc. Some of said items may be lacking for some of said ancestors.
Nearly all black people who are black Americans can prove they have ancestors from 150 years ago....

I do a lot of genealogical research and am black and I have documented ancestry going back to the 1600s in America. 150 years ago is only 1868 - there was a such thing as the 1870 census, which was the first to list all black people who were former slaves in the country, by name. Practically all black Americans descend from blacks on that list whose family have been in this country prior to 1900. However, as noted earlier, it is weird how many people are so obsessed with Maxine Waters and how many posters around here seem to get their rocks off over speaking about black people in a prejudicial way. Not saying you did this but it is not hard to trace ancestry in America. There are free websites where it can be done. I can trace a black person back to 1870 in about an hour if they know their parents and grandparents names and where they lived.

ETA: Black people took pictures and wrote and were listed in birth and death registers along with marriage registers where they were collected. Birth Certificates were not really a "thing" in America for any Americans (no matter color) until after 1900 (usually around 1912-1915 in southern states and others who were too cheap to keep track of births/deaths, and marriages).

Old 03-12-2018, 05:07 PM

16,781 posts, read 8,777,661 times
I hope that is added to the (D) platform. Even better would be if that young women's comments were true about 2020;

"Is she running, is she running".

That would be every moderate and conservatives dream.

`

Old 03-12-2018, 05:09 PM

1,704 posts, read 753,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Blacks have been getting reparations for generations now. It’s called all the freebies the government has doled out.
Yeah, free food, free housing, and free clothing for well over 400 years now....

How generous we all are!

It's been far too long ago to seriously consider monetary compensation for any past transgressions. It would be better just to fix our educational and healthcare systems. That alone will level the playing field for the poor, in general.

First of all, we need to comprehend the fact that all high school graduates need a specific required skill upon graduation.

We need to require that special Bachelor of Arts degrees in secondary education be accessible within 3yrs instead of 4yrs.

We need to give additional incentive to students in order for them to acquire educational degrees in math or science.

We need to focus more on all of our children's ability to write. Children who write well, read well!
They are usually more articulate and are better able to organize their thoughts, as well.

The first 4yrs of post secondary education should be free. That would mean that everyone would be entitled to some form of a Bachelor's degree.

All Americans should be entitled to universal healthcare.

Any unemployed American who has obtained either an Associate's or Bachelor's degree, will be automatically placed upon an employment compensation plan and will receive financial assistance once they've committed themselves to a work team in service to either their city or state.

Those who have no high school diploma or equivalent, should be required to serve in the military until such minimum educational requirement has been achieved. Minimum 2yrs service. That 2yrs of military service comes with an automatic Associate's degree.

No more of this, "Yes, I see that you have a high school diploma, but you have no experience" stuff, anymore!

We also need to require all students between ages 10 yrs and 16 yrs to play a sport where they get to interact with team members of diverse ethnic groups.

These fixes are all we ALL need for REPARATIONS!

Maxine Waters is the type of person who would agree to this type of universal transition...

Last edited by zeliner; 03-12-2018 at 06:22 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Nearly all black people who are black Americans can prove they have ancestors from 150 years ago....

I do a lot of genealogical research and am black and I have documented ancestry going back to the 1600s in America. 150 years ago is only 1868 - there was a such thing as the 1870 census, which was the first to list all black people who were former slaves in the country, by name. Practically all black Americans descend from blacks on that list whose family have been in this country prior to 1900. However, as noted earlier, it is weird how many people are so obsessed with Maxine Waters and how many posters around here seem to get their rocks off over speaking about black people in a prejudicial way. Not saying you did this but it is not hard to trace ancestry in America. There are free websites where it can be done. I can trace a black person back to 1870 in about an hour if they know their parents and grandparents names and where they lived.

ETA: Black people took pictures and wrote and were listed in birth and death registers along with marriage registers where they were collected. Birth Certificates were not really a "thing" in America for any Americans (no matter color) until after 1900 (usually around 1912-1915 in southern states and others who were too cheap to keep track of births/deaths, and marriages).
Let's not complicate the matter. The entire system needs some form of modification.

Rather than approaching compensatory reparations, let's just reduce the gap between the rich and the poor through changes primarily in our educational system.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:23 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,798,916 times
What would happen if black people were all given a large sum of money as reparations? We already know.
Quote:
A viral Sports Illustrated feature from 2009 cites a humbling statistic: "By the time they have been retired for two years, 78 percent of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce."
That goes for basketball players like Bosh as well: "Within five years of retirement, an estimated 60 percent of former NBA players are broke."

Old 03-12-2018, 07:50 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,837,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

And they would have to do ancestors on whites to see who's ancestors were in the U.S. during the time of slavery. Mine weren't so my paying for reparations won't be happening. Does Maxine Waters actually believe she can do this LOL, worse, is there enough ignorance in this country that believes her?

Last edited by petch751; 03-12-2018 at 07:59 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
And they would have to do ancestors on whites to see who's ancestors were in the U.S. during the time of slavery. Mine weren't so my paying for reparations won't be happening. Does Maxine Waters actually believe she can do this LOL, worse, is there enough ignorance in this country that believes her?
The Honorable Maxine Waters is simply stating that something should be done in order to compensate African-American descendants of slaves in order to compensate them for the work done by their ancestors.

She has never really stated the form of expected compensation. However, she has always referred to the compensation as "reparations"....

IMO this seems to be an honest attempt to offset historical injustices experienced by the African-American community.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:50 PM

2,679 posts, read 1,712,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
What would happen if black people were all given a large sum of money as reparations? We already know.
Yes, because NBA and NFL players (who for the most part, besides the bench at most, average only 4-6 years in the league) somehow represent black people. Nice job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies