Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 10:29 AM

19,759 posts, read 12,319,623 times

Advertisements

Liberals are supposed to be the environmentalists, not conservatives. Yet they care about money and luxury quite a bit. They don't care when their idols live in huge mansions with walls around them. They don't care their hipster clothes are made in sweat shops or that they are pricing minorities out of neighborhoods.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:32 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,788,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Liberals are supposed to be the environmentalists, not conservatives. Yet they care about money and luxury quite a bit. They don't care when their idols live in huge mansions with walls around them. They don't care their hipster clothes are made in sweat shops or that they are pricing minorities out of neighborhoods.

I feel like this is an illustrative response.

Conservatives care so little about the environment that they literally can't even construct a response that includes actual environmental issues.

Environmental concepts are so foreign to them that they resort to talking about sweatshops, celebrities and gentrification, like these are 'close enough, whatever.'

Old 03-09-2018, 11:15 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,649,852 times
Wait until the next Oil accident happens. If it’s in a Red State. Let them see that they have been supporting these corporate shills. It’s all about big business. God forbid they are responsible with their drilling and pipes. Follow the money....

Old 03-09-2018, 11:19 AM

68,353 posts, read 54,549,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I think this is a big talking point both parties really insert eachother with

Liberals

-Live in urban areas
-Use more paper on average
-Are more into clothes and fashion
-Traffic jams

Conservatives

-Meat industry
-Hunting
-Use cars that barely pass emissions
-Heat is much stronger I would argue

I think this is quite a mixed bag

I think you've provided nothing factual supporting your claims.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:26 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,729,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think you've provided nothing factual supporting your claims.
Is supposed to be a general ideas list once again

Also you may want to check on the impact urbanization has on water quality
https://water.usgs.gov/edu/urbaneffects.html

Old 03-09-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Is supposed to be a general ideas list once again

Also you may want to check on the impact urbanization has on water quality
https://water.usgs.gov/edu/urbaneffects.html

And just WHAT are things like "Traffic jams" under the liberal heading supposed to mean? They love them? They hate them? They cause them? WHAT are you even talking about?

Or "Heat is much stronger I would argue" under the conservative heading? WHAT is it you would argue? They live in hotter areas? They have more guns? Again, WHAT is it you're talking about?

Old 03-09-2018, 11:36 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,760,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I feel like this is an illustrative response.

Conservatives care so little about the environment that they literally can't even construct a response that includes actual environmental issues.

Environmental concepts are so foreign to them that they resort to talking about sweatshops, celebrities and gentrification, like these are 'close enough, whatever.'
Exactly. And how does one control the costs of a desirable area? Rent controls? Making it less desirable? Is that what conservatives are suggesting as a solution? The funny thing is, protecting the environment makes those places more desirable. Are liberals supposed to apologize for both wanting to protect the environment and for the increasing property values that result from it?

Old 03-09-2018, 11:38 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,729,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And just WHAT are things like "Traffic jams" under the liberal heading supposed to mean? They love them? They hate them? They cause them? WHAT are you even talking about?

Or "Heat is much stronger I would argue: under the conservative heading? WHAT is it you would argue? They live in hotter areas? They have more guns? Again, WHAT is it you're talking about?

Old 03-09-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I guess even you have no idea what you meant, eh?

Old 03-09-2018, 11:50 AM

3,720 posts, read 4,875,623 times
Am I correct in thinking that the OP is portraying hunting as negative to the environment?
If so, nothing can be further from the truth. taxes on hunting and fishing equipment go to pay for land to help improve the environment. Licenses as well. Much of the land on our national wildlife refuges has been payed for by hunters. Do any liberals want to help out? Buy hunting licenses and duck stamps. Many conservatives, as well, who have farms in which they hunt or lease out for hunting rights reserve sections in which don't get hunted. It benefits ALL local wildlife. Waterfowl hunting is big business in the part of MD in which I live yet many leased out farms keep a "holding" pond that does not get hunted at all. It's a "safe spot" for the local waterfowl!

And it is going to take a lot to convince this conservative that my 4x4 is harder on the environment then some city slickers battery operated prius. And just look at the smog generated from any large city in comparison to the surrounding countryside. Night and day difference. And the US actually has very clean city's in comparison to many other country's, including many in which the liberals want us to copy from.

Many hunting, fishing and 4x4 clubs have cleanup days in which they get together and clean up trash from a local river or lake, beach, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies