Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 01:28 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yes you can.
It is not race... It is the culture. Happens to young smart white boys doing good in inner city schools.

Get out in the small towns where a full graduating class is less than 100 people and everyone knows everyone no matter your skin color and that doesn't happen. It is almost the opposite to see who can be smarter than the other guy.
Of course there are some smart white kids in the ghetto. They were born smart. They're are some smart black kids in a rural town. They were born smart too. But if you replace the ethnicity with another in a given area, you sure as sunshine changed the culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 01:28 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
These are the words of a man who says boys don't learn well from books.

-_-
Mrs. Intellectual, are you attacking me, or debating the message?

Old 03-08-2018, 01:30 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Mrs. Intellectual, are you attacking me, or debating the message?
I'm making a factual observation.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Of course there are some smart white kids in the ghetto. They were born smart. They're are some smart black kids in a rural town. They were born smart too. But if you replace the ethnicity with another in a given area, you sure as sunshine changed the culture.
The culture around inner city Baltimore youth, is much different than the rural youth of Tescott, KS.
Lay the county by county voting map over the Democrat killing fields and they line up perfectly with the blue areas up both coast lines and every blue dot in the sea of red.

It's the culture dummy.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I'm making a factual observation.
Based upon what evidence?

Old 03-08-2018, 01:35 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
The culture around inner city Baltimore youth, is much different than the rural youth of Tescott, KS.
Yeah and the demographics and ethnic make up is drastically different between the two. Where do you think culture comes from, the soil?

Old 03-08-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yeah and the demographics and ethnic make up is drastically different between the two. Where do you think culture comes from, the soil?
What makes culture? Region, area or race?
There are a lot of Black rednecks where I'm from.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:39 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Based upon what evidence?
Well, you have spoken as though you think book learning is less than effective for most boys, and you have talked enough about your definition of masculinity, including berating "beta males," to make me think that you have little use for "nerds."

Any other questions?

BTW, that's MS. Intellectual, to you, and please, when you call me that, smile.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:43 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Quote:
These are the words of a man who says boys don't learn well from books.

-_-
Exactly, this poster seems to think that if a black kid underperforms academically that is the fault of the culture but when a white boy underperforms academically it is the school's fault for expecting them to read books instead of doing their learning the manly man way.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:07 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
It IS the culture, I think.

An example is the Spanish-speaking Miami mother who defended her seven-year-old son's aggressiveness and violence to his teacher that led to him being handcuffed, saying (IF memory serves) that his behavior was normal and a good thing because in her culture, being aggressive and violent is a sign of leadership. Sounds very strange to my "Anglo" upbringing -- just as I can't fathom how some cultures put the welfare of their parents above EVERYTHING else, even's one's spouse and children - or how some cultures think that choosing to remain childless is selfish, while others think that having as many children as they even if they can't afford them is being unselfish.

I also think that one's culture can be overcome, for good or bad. Plenty of kids from affluent and educated homes end up as addicts, while plenty of kids from impoverished and uneducated families become doctors.

Last edited by katharsis; 03-08-2018 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies