Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:54 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Here's what:

SO many leftists who worship the Super State (or are at the very least very keen about it) can not see any possible downside to government power/action. There IS no possible downside. There is no NEED for a cost-benefit assessment of proposed government actions. If Big Daddy Super State thinks something ought to be done, it is automatically a good idea. No possible risks.

Such as build a foot bridge, to keep pedestrians safe.

Well, thinking such as this drives me crazy. So let me spell it out: there is very little likelihood that those six people would be dead today if the State had not decided to build that bridge. Nobody else was going to build it. Did the State have a good REASON to build it??

Can liberals not see this as a reason to not always be so gung ho about every single thing the Super State proposes??
You are one sick pup.

And, yes, someone had already died at the intersection. But besides that, thousands of such bridges are used every day by millions of people.....

It sounds like you have an altar at your home and Pray to the Automobile and whatever is needed for it. Yes, that's very "rightie". The world is made of a LOT more people than those who have to drive somewhere this minute.

And, BTW, such a bridge is BETTER for motorists since they can get places quicker.

This has nothing to do with politics. Please - go back to the easy chair and watch fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 08:11 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Give Rick Scott and the 100% GOP Legislature, inspectors, highway dept, etc. a call and ask why their landline has voicemail instead of a person:

"A lead engineer responsible for a pedestrian bridge that collapsed near Miami left a voicemail message for a state transportation official warning of “some cracking” two days before the structure crashed, state officials said Friday night."

Old 03-16-2018, 08:19 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Local politics perhaps.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:27 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Here's what:

SO many leftists who worship the Super State (or are at the very least very keen about it) can not see any possible downside to government power/action. There IS no possible downside. There is no NEED for a cost-benefit assessment of proposed government actions. If Big Daddy Super State thinks something ought to be done, it is automatically a good idea. No possible risks.

Such as build a foot bridge, to keep pedestrians safe.

Well, thinking such as this drives me crazy. So let me spell it out: there is very little likelihood that those six people would be dead today if the State had not decided to build that bridge. Nobody else was going to build it. Did the State have a good REASON to build it?? Of course they did: to keep pedestrians safe, in an area with increasingly dangerous traffic. But let me ask you: what are the odds that six (or more) pedestrians would have been killed in that neighborhood, over the next twenty years (let's say)?? Very, very small. As reality stands today, at least six people ARE dead now. In one fell swoop.

Can liberals not see this as a reason to not always be so gung ho about every single thing the Super State proposes??
Same question I made whn the subject came up. Who pays for sex ? Now the bridge is infrastructure and the crew leader of sorts - left a call to some to say he saw a crack- but as there is prob only one person in the city - guess no one else could stop the construction from moving forward, maybe halting this tragedy. That may put the blame back on local govt.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:52 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Your post indicates you do not understand. The Tacomas Narrow Bridge opened in mid 1940 and collapsed in November of the same year. Beautiful big bridge. And demonstrated a mode that had not been encountered before by the engineers.

I actually recommend that all engineers watch "Galloping Gertie" go down. Wonderful lesson on being careful of what you do not understand. And the problem was fixable. The Bronx Whitestone is the same design but was properly stiffened to prevent the natural frequency vibration and still exists to this day.

We will see what killed the FIU bridge. It may just be carelessness...or it may be something else. In any case a lesson to be learned.

And it is not my precise discipline...but I do understand the basics of structures and such. And the strength of materials. And I know a whole lot about resonance and such. You do not appear to have this knowledge.
Just from what I have read, the roof of the bridge was a 42 foot span of concrete. why use concrete? It is cheaper, and it can be quicker to produce. But it is much heavier, and more importantly its tensile strength is terrible. If they put a considerable amount of stress on it, it would not bend much at all.

Normally you build in a factory of safety of 5, which means you build in 5 times the strength you need. Maybe it is different for this new "advanced bridge construction" method they used.

I am a degreed (not licensed) engineer - although it is mechanical, not civil.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:02 PM

10,457 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Infrastructure.

There had to be some way to get bipartisan support for upcoming infrastructure plans. After the Miami bridge collapse there is more reason than any to focus on finally tackling infrastructure problems which plague the nation.

Look to see a joint party infrastructure initiative coming our way very soon.
Thing is, this bridge was being planned in 2010, and was really not supposed to open till 2019. I also read they were using new techniques and materials, so I highly doubt it is infrastructure problem, just a possibility that the wrong person for the job was put in charge of the project, and this is the result of incompetent people.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:07 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
A student died last year trying to navigate thru all that traffic. That's what prompted the State to build it.

Whether or not a private company would have built it in the absence of a State is anyone's guess. Since it's a university sponsored by the State I would assume no.

Having said that...accidents will happen regardless if it's a private bridge or a State bridge. This doesn't change the fact that morally and logically the private way is the only option.
It has been planned since 2013 at least, probably before that, at the request of FIU. Currently, they use shuttle buses and the crosswalk to cross the street.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:24 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Same thing could have happened had it been a private company that built the bridge. You would have had little choice in the matter - it would have been built because they wanted it.

At least a with a public agency, there is generally a chance for the public to have an input in the matter (e.g. through voting, public forums, or community organizations/committees that people can sign up to be a part of).

What is your point?
There are a number of larger points than what you are trying to steer the discussion towards. (For what it's worth almost all bridges are built by the Super State).

Old 03-16-2018, 09:27 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The bridge is the work of a private company...MCM to be specific.

The bridge was of a new sort. ABC - Accelerated Bridge Construction - Basically the span was built along side the major road to be bridged and then lifted into place by a moving machine. They bridged the road in six hours causing minimal interference with a major arterial..

I would think the technique is useful enough that it will likely be widely adopted after they figure what it was that went wrong. At this point it sounds like they were doing some set up or testing on the bridge which may have had some role in the collapse.

Collapsing bridges are apolitical.
They are not apolitical.
Start with my original point. Move on to the way politics (such as awarding diversity points) has entered the bidding/contracting process.

Your post is silly. (I guess the "collapse" of the bridge over the River Kwai must have been "apolitical" too??)

Old 03-16-2018, 09:30 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
I wonder if the steel came from China.

This is probably a case of trying to meet a deadline and cutting corners. Both companies involved were fined in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies