Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:46 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

I was a kid during the LA riots but I remember them. I recently watched a documentary on Netflix about them. It’s truly horrifying. Watch those poor people get robbed, beaten and murdered while the police are helpless (or ordered to stand down). The Korean area was the only place able to protect itself because they had arms. This documentary is a great lesson for all Americans to learn why small arms are needed and how they can protect you and your family. No doubt another riot like this will happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 11:58 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I recently saw that same documentary and it does serve as an example of what can happen when society breaks down and the Police cannot help.
We have natural disasters that bring out the best in people and unfortunately the worse too.
We also have also seen peaceful protests that start off with the right intentions but spiral out of control when the group turns into a mob and starts jumping on police cars and burning their neighborhoods down.

Imagine if all that was happening outside your door?
I think even the most liberal anti gun person would want something more to protect themselves and their loved ones with beyond kind words for the looters that just kicked in their door.
Words and praying for Mercy will only go so far.

We have also seen how liberal our court system is and it does not pay to be a victim.

They say it is better to be tried by a jury of 12 then be carried out by 6 (pallbearers).
The vast majority of gun owners would never seek out danger but if it came calling they would do their best not to be victims.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:08 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Democrats are sold on the butter knife defense.
They may want butter control in the future but not right now.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:16 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
You never have to justify your right to own private property as long as you aren't violating the non-aggression principle.

I understand pro-gun people wanting to give specifics to the anti-gun folks such as this example but you don't have to sink to their level.

You have the natural right to use the fruits of your labor to attain property within the framework of non-aggression...PERIOD

Old 03-18-2018, 12:29 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Democrats are sold on the butter knife defense.
They may want butter control in the future but not right now.
Don't worry, the police will protect you. They can anticipate violent crime. Also if there is a natural disaster, or riots, etc. and they are busy elsewhere, they will get to you eventually. Just tell the multiple attackers that the police are on there way, and to wait until they get there. See, you don't need any means of self defense. Relax.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:32 PM

193 posts, read 92,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I was a kid during the LA riots but I remember them. I recently watched a documentary on Netflix about them. It’s truly horrifying. Watch those poor people get robbed, beaten and murdered while the police are helpless (or ordered to stand down). The Korean area was the only place able to protect itself because they had arms. This documentary is a great lesson for all Americans to learn why small arms are needed and how they can protect you and your family. No doubt another riot like this will happen again.
The poverty rate is actually worse than it was at the time of the riots in that area. Adding tons of illegal immigrants who will work for next to nothing hasnt exaclty helped wages.

L.A. Poverty and Unemployment Rates Have Increased Since the Riots | L.A. Weekly

Old 03-18-2018, 12:40 PM

1,704 posts, read 749,375 times
The LA riots took place for a reason. Instead of focusing on firearms, we need to place greater emphasis upon developing and training a more knowledgeable, diverse, intelligent, and socially educated police force.

For centuries, racist and overtly aggressive scumbags have unfairly targeted members of minority communities. That especially goes for the African-American community. These wayward rogue c cops give law enforcement a bad name and erode civilian confidence of LE in general. We need to do a much better job vetting police and LE officers in general. Once we've done that, I can assure you, race riots initiated by blacks will be a thing of the past.

Watch the Rodney King beating on youtube, then ask yourself, "How in the world could those cops ever be acquitted?"...

It wasn't the beating that caused the riots, iy was the lack of judicial balance and absence of justice that caused the riots.

That decision to acquit brought out the very worse in just about everyone in the black community.

They were all justifiably outraged and furious!

Old 03-18-2018, 12:51 PM

292 posts, read 245,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
The LA riots took place for a reason. Instead of focusing on firearms, we need to place greater emphasis upon developing and training a more knowledgeable, diverse, intelligent, and socially educated police force.

For centuries, racist and overtly aggressive scumbags have unfairly targeted members of minority communities. That especially goes for the African-American community. These wayward rogue c cops give law enforcement a bad name and erode civilian confidence of LE in general. We need to do a much better job vetting police and LE officers in general. Once we've done that, I can assure you, race riots initiated by blacks will be a thing of the past.

Watch the Rodney King beating on youtube, then ask yourself, "How in the world could those cops ever be acquitted?"...

It wasn't the beating that caused the riots, iy was the lack of judicial balance and absence of justice that caused the riots.

That decision to acquit brought out the very worse in just about everyone in the black community.

Well, while all that educating and RE-educating goes on, which could take many many years, I think it is just due diligence to have the means to protect yourself.

And race or ethnicity riots becoming a thing of the past? ....I highly doubt it. People have always chosen to take to the streets to voice their discontent. France is one such example. Many of those protests and riots were not due to racial issues. In France they were often due to political or economic issues, such as raising the legal retirement age, or taking away certain pension gibs., as two such examples.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:28 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post

I don’t agree with the court decisions in the cases leading up to the riots. But look what happened after the recent Mike brown incident. The cop was in the right, proven by DNA evidence. The guy also robbed a store. People rioted anyway.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:37 PM

1,704 posts, read 749,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celiene61 View Post
Well, while all that educating and RE-educating goes on, which could take many many years, I think it is just due diligence to have the means to protect yourself.

And race or ethnicity riots becoming a thing of the past? ....I highly doubt it. People have always chosen to take to the streets to voice their discontent. France is one such example. Many of those protests and riots were not due to racial issues. In France they were often due to political or economic issues, such as raising the legal retirement age, or taking away certain pension gibs., as two such examples.
In a civil and just society there should never be any reason to raise arms against fellow countrymen.

American citizenry should be receiving a truthful and enriched education concerning our history, our laws, and civility.

Whenever systemic flaws within our justice system are recognized, they should be eliminated in an expedient fashion. People should not feel compelled to "take to the streets" within any modern civilized society.

I can assure you, that whenever it is finally demonstrated in a consistent manner that African-Americans receive fair and equitable treatment across the board within this country, you'll never observe any type of mass civil unrest reminiscent of the LA riots, Ferguson, Watts, or anything other riotous example.

Whatever the case maybe, firearms are NOT the answer. Why should they be when it's so much easier just to treat people fairly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies