Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 01:31 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Not true according to this.
2017 vs. 2018 Federal IRS Tax Brackets, Tax Rates, Standard Deduction and Personal Exemption Updates
Then why was it announced before & after the tax bill was passed that the bottom rate was raised to 12% from 10%? Why are people in the bottom 2 brackets being told that their taxes are going up? Why were the Democrats yelling about raising the bottom rate? (I am not a Democrat.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 02:03 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Then why was it announced before & after the tax bill was passed that the bottom rate was raised to 12% from 10%? Why are people in the bottom 2 brackets being told that their taxes are going up? Why were the Democrats yelling about raising the bottom rate? (I am not a Democrat.)
I think at one point, there was only going to be 3 brackets, the bottom one being 12%, but that lowered the 15% bracket in addition to raising the 10%, so you only really were being raised if you only made less than 10k per year. Anything over that, you would start to see the benefits of the lower 15% bracket. But that was a long time ago. It has changed many times since then.

If people are still saying it now, it is because they know that many people will just believe it without looking it up for themselves.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:04 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I live in a very high tax state, and my accountant has a program that plugged this years numbers into next year’s tax plan, and he said I will do much better next year. Just as I had expected.
Why next year and not this year?

Old 03-19-2018, 02:07 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Why next year and not this year?
He was referring to my refund, not my payroll taxes.

Since I make a different amount each month, it would be hard for me to calculate my payroll tax savings.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:08 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
He was referring to my refund, not my payroll taxes.
Got it.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:28 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
The reason why taxes might go up for seniors is because if you receive a pension and social security, social security is taxed if income goes above $25,000 Interest income is added. The 25,000 threshold has not been changed since 1992 when Clinton signed the tax increase bill.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:50 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I have just been informed by my tax accountant that under the new tax law, my taxes will go up next year by about $1,200. I am a 65 year old widow living on pension and investments, but working a few hours per week. But unfortunately, I live in California, and as we all know, Californians have been singled out for punishment. I will lose most of my deductions, including my medical deductions, and the higher standard deduction will not cover the difference, apparently.

Just thought that those of you that are convinced that Trump has the best interest of Americans in mind might like to know that he did not have my best interests in mind. I know that some of you will say it is my own fault for living in a state with high taxes. But the duty of the Federal Government is to make sure that all Americans are treated fairly, regardless of the state and local policies where they live.
I am in a similar position as I live in NYC. I get double-dipped by the city and state. It is not our fault for living in these states. It is our fault for electing progressive liberals that consider anyone who makes over $35,000 a year wealthy.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:56 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
I'm torn between two possible answers.

I could say that Trump is a liar, that Trump is delusional, that Trump is known for empty promises. (Foreign heads of state now no longer even give any credence to his statements.)

But I could also say that, as a Democrat, it has nothing to do with your best interests (and no policy will always be good for every single individual). I wish you would have mentioned for whom you voted. As a Democrat, I don't think having your best interest in mind is necessarily a matter of taxes. I would give priority to working toward a healthier environment, affordable health care, good schools, an improved justice system, and so on.

Of course, it must be particularly galling to you that your money is going to support the wealthy. That's what Republicans do.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:16 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
I have just been informed by my tax accountant that under the new tax law, my taxes will go up next year by about $1,200. I am a 65 year old widow living on pension and investments, but working a few hours per week. But unfortunately, I live in California, and as we all know, Californians have been singled out for punishment. I will lose most of my deductions, including my medical deductions, and the higher standard deduction will not cover the difference, apparently.

Just thought that those of you that are convinced that Trump has the best interest of Americans in mind might like to know that he did not have my best interests in mind. I know that some of you will say it is my own fault for living in a state with high taxes. But the duty of the Federal Government is to make sure that all Americans are treated fairly, regardless of the state and local policies where they live.
You have to get rid of the over-priced accountant and do your own taxes. Then interpret tax laws like the Donald. You haven't lost medical deductions ...make them work for you!!

eg. If I don't eat, I'll die! Sounds like a medical problem! Solution - deduct your food costs as medicine!

If I miss my cable TV shows, I'll go crazy! Sounds like a mental health problem! Deduct your cable as medical services!

If my property taxes are over $10,000 and I don't pay them, I might end up homeless, freeze and catch pneumonia. Sounds like a serious medical problem! Medical Expense! Deduction ...cha-ching!

I've saved thousands ...so can you!

You have to ask yourself "what would the Donald do?" WWTDD? There's a reason he doesn't release his tax returns! Neither do I!

Don't ask your tax accountant if doing your own taxes is right for you!

Old 03-19-2018, 08:19 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:

Your story is going to be repeated over and over again. When I saw all the cheering because people thought they were getting this huge tax break, I knew that there was going to be another side to that coin. Nothing comes free.

Trump sold them a bill of goods, just like everything else he has done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies