Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 12:38 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
similar but not the same.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:37 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
That's like 400$ a month in ammo!
Let's see, at current prices, and spread of which caliber I am practicing with, that would be:

YEP! Just about!

$389.19 at the high end of my practice intensity. It's a bit lower right now in that in the hour a week I spend at the range, I've only shot around 100 rounds pistol and no rifle. I am soon to get my rifles back to the range, however, and hope to up my intensity to 2 or 3 visits to the range a week, once my current commitments are completed.

Further, as I said in //www.city-data.com/forum/guns-...imes-week.html , I am looking for .22s to add to the calculations.

That's why one might find stockpiling because one buys what they can whenever it is cheap. One keeps several cases (1000-1250 rounds) of this or that in supply for history has shown, shortages are quite possible.

Eventually, I ought to get into reloading.

But it really all comes down to A and B.

A: I am not expected to miss.

B: If I miss and "that round" goes into someone else, I go to jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
the Virginia Tech shooter used 15 round magazines in his Glock, but to answer your question I don't think anything has to be done, except I don't think they need 10 round magazines, I think 6 should be plenty except for LE or military use. .......
This reminds me of, years ago, a concealed holster I was looking at during a gun show. I observed to the salesman that it had no capacity for a spare magazine and the conversation went something like this: "Well, as a civilian, if you need more than one magazine, you're in the wrong gun fight."

QUITE FRANKLY, I don't want to be in any gun fight, but I do train for three magazine engagements. According the salesman, that's Special Forces stuff where you load up with as much as you can carry. To me, that's standard, such as the ability to clear a jam by dropping the magazine and going to the next one.

11 rounds on the USP means, say, I could do 3 body armor engagements (call that the worst case attacker) before needing to go to the next magazine, with two reserve rounds. One of the things about limiting someone to only 6 rounds is it means that they are unarmed during reloading. Great perhaps if they are the enemy but the pits if you are defending. That's one of the things I don't like about 1 of my 9mm's; it can't be fired when there is no magazine inserted. That's great for safety, the pits if you are reloading during an engagement.

Another thing about limiting the magazines is that they make some guns worthless. I have a mid size 1911 I bought at a pawn store. Went to load it but it wouldn't feed. Boy, did I feel cheated! Came to find out that my 6-7 round magazines, for my smaller 1911, were too short. I needed 8-9 round magazines and it works fine now.

"Gee, Tamara, is having that much fire power really necessary?"

Well, consider how many there were when https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...beth_Pe%C3%B1a were taken out.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-27-2018 at 03:08 AM..

Old 03-27-2018, 04:44 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Let's see, at current prices, and spread of which caliber I am practicing with, that would be:

YEP! Just about!

$389.19 at the high end of my practice intensity. It's a bit lower right now in that in the hour a week I spend at the range, I've only shot around 100 rounds pistol and no rifle. I am soon to get my rifles back to the range, however, and hope to up my intensity to 2 or 3 visits to the range a week, once my current commitments are completed.

Further, as I said in //www.city-data.com/forum/guns-...imes-week.html , I am looking for .22s to add to the calculations.

That's why one might find stockpiling because one buys what they can whenever it is cheap. One keeps several cases (1000-1250 rounds) of this or that in supply for history has shown, shortages are quite possible.

Eventually, I ought to get into reloading.

But it really all comes down to A and B.

A: I am not expected to miss.

B: If I miss and "that round" goes into someone else, I go to jail.

This reminds me of, years ago, a concealed holster I was looking at during a gun show. I observed to the salesman that it had no capacity for a spare magazine and the conversation went something like this: "Well, as a civilian, if you need more than one magazine, you're in the wrong gun fight."

QUITE FRANKLY, I don't want to be in any gun fight, but I do train for three magazine engagements. According the salesman, that's Special Forces stuff where you load up with as much as you can carry. To me, that's standard, such as the ability to clear a jam by dropping the magazine and going to the next one.

11 rounds on the USP means, say, I could do 3 body armor engagements (call that the worst case attacker) before needing to go to the next magazine, with two reserve rounds. One of the things about limiting someone to only 6 rounds is it means that they are unarmed during reloading. Great perhaps if they are the enemy but the pits if you are defending. That's one of the things I don't like about 1 of my 9mm's; it can't be fired when there is no magazine inserted. That's great for safety, the pits if you are reloading during an engagement.

Another thing about limiting the magazines is that they make some guns worthless. I have a mid size 1911 I bought at a pawn store. Went to load it but it wouldn't feed. Boy, did I feel cheated! Came to find out that my 6-7 round magazines, for my smaller 1911, were too short. I needed 8-9 round magazines and it works fine now.

"Gee, Tamara, is having that much fire power really necessary?"

Well, consider how many there were when https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...beth_Pe%C3%B1a were taken out.

Ya I figured 40 cents per round for 223 and 25 cents for 9mm.

And I'm pretty sure police only hit their target like 20% of the time with stress and adrenaline and being shot at. Anyone who says "if you need more rounds than 10 you need to practice more" is a moron

Old 03-27-2018, 05:02 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post

Ya I figured 40 cents per round for 223 and 25 cents for 9mm.
32 cents per round .223
59 cents per round .308
16 cents per round 9mm
29 cents per round .45

Then some side calibers as well.

Mind you, that was without tax or shipping.

Quote:

And I'm pretty sure police only hit their target like 20% of the time with stress and adrenaline and being shot at. Anyone who says "if you need more rounds than 10 you need to practice more" is a moron
Of course for combat, one can be very limited on how to train for that. My basic is to take it slow, build the muscle memory for shooting procedures AS WELL as all the other things that need to be done such as avoiding target fixation, covering other targets, and so forth, so if it happens, it can all fall into place, sort of, when it speeds up. Another thing is to do extended drills such as a 3 magazine engagement on pistol or a squad ambush on rifle.

Drills such as multiple engagements, supporting the weight of the gun, things like that, when you start using up energy like it is going out of style.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-27-2018 at 05:15 AM..

Old 03-27-2018, 05:09 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy But just think, an AR-15 will turn any beta male into a chest pounding, testosterone overloaded alpha male!

For those anti-gunners, here is why you cannot have a rational discussion.....may have just as well thrown in nuclear weapons....

Old 03-27-2018, 05:16 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Following your logic they should also ban all rental trucks as they've killed way more over the years in mass killings...
You should look up the words ban and restrict. They don’t mean the same thing.

And trucks are restricted, not everyone can rent one, not everyone can operate one, and they are all registered and regulated like crazy. So yes, let’s start by treating guns like rental trucks. Just as you suggest.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:39 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You should look up the words ban and restrict. They don’t mean the same thing.

And trucks are restricted, not everyone can rent one, not everyone can operate one, and they are all registered and regulated like crazy. So yes, let’s start by treating guns like rental trucks. Just as you suggest.

I have to have a back ground check to purchase a handgun in my state, that or a valid CPL , which is fingerprinting, deeper background check, and training and even with that, at the point of sale a call to the NICS (background check) is done. Then my handgun gets registered with the state of MI. What more would you like ?
Now I would like the same requirements happen for long guns, currently the only background check is when purchased new.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:46 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
32 cents per round .223
59 cents per round .308
16 cents per round 9mm
29 cents per round .45
I reload, save my brass to reuse, and also pick up brass at my gun club that people don't want, so I can get my costs pretty low. I also buy powder, primers, and bullets in quantity. I reload mainly 9MM, .45 ACP, .223, 7.5 French (similar to .308 in performance), and .45 Colt. I buy .22LR, 7.62x39, and 9MM Makarov.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I have to have a back ground check to purchase a handgun in my state, that or a valid CPL , which is fingerprinting, deeper background check, and training and even with that, at the point of sale a call to the NICS (background check) is done. Then my handgun gets registered with the state of MI. What more would you like ?
Now I would like the same requirements happen for long guns, currently the only background check is when purchased new.
That being uniform code perhaps. I went to a gun store in 2013 and I have seen how easy it is to buy a handgun in AZ. There it is as easy as buying the oaktag for that sign in that rally from Saturday. Why it is that easy and there isn't any hold or fingerprinting I will never know but sadly unless federal funding is tied to passing a uniform code law, this won't change in "The Old West" states like Arizona.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:00 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That being uniform code perhaps. I went to a gun store in 2013 and I have seen how easy it is to buy a handgun in AZ. There it is as easy as buying the oaktag for that sign in that rally from Saturday. Why it is that easy and there isn't any hold or fingerprinting I will never know but sadly unless federal funding is tied to passing a uniform code law, this won't change in "The Old West" states like Arizona.
You still have to pass a background check (NICS), and fill out Federal Form 4473. Do you need these to buy a sign?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies