Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 04:46 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,736,590 times

Advertisements

BTW, I am reading a book that a friend wrote about her heritage, which is Sicilian.

Looking at the pictures, almost every female is 1/2 a head taller than the males and looks stronger. Interesting....

In a day and age when a crane or backhoe is doing 95% of the work, I am quite confident that females are more than capable of doing a lot of the jobs which used to be mostly male.

Heck, I thought we proved that in WWII. Rosie the Riveter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 09:17 PM

21,311 posts, read 19,939,354 times
The general rule is if you are criticizing men, you are okay. If you say anything that might be construed as criticizing women, you are a mysoginist.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:28 AM

26,683 posts, read 15,240,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
6% of Scientists identify as GOP.
Therefore, if you are a member of the GOP, you should ALWAYS deny science since it will conflict with your worldview and perhaps with your making money.

Also, make sure you deny biology also. Don't teach high schoolers about birth control. If you deny that biology, you will surely stop ALL of them from getting erections.

Once again we have backwards bizarro world. Every reasonable liberal I know accepts science - not to say our disciplines are always correct, but they tend to head toward the truth and "when stuff works" it confirms the entire field.

For example, many many substances today are created from other substances that have NOTHING to do with the final product being made. This is done by manipulation of molecules (and even atoms!). If Science had some major flaw, these things simply would not work.

Modern PC? Again, that's on the right these days. Most of what Trump says is untrue and it can be proven - and it's very "PC" of his sheeple to then repeat these lies. No matter how many times you repeat them they still are not true.

To answer the REAL question, a large amount of Americans don't even know what science is, let alone the nuances of all the questions, theories and results. So what they do and thing should not matter at all. Example: 200 Conservatives who deny science get aboard an airliner. It will still fly. It doesn't matter if they have no idea why or if they think it is being lifted on God's shoulders...it still works....

Among true philosophers and thinkers, there is almost never denial of anything, Rather there is constant questioning and research to affirm whether the initial formulas and methods are repeatable...and therefore, scientific.
You are being irrational.

BOTH political parties deny science when it fits their ideology. You are ignoring science yourself in this thread.

Some conservatives don't want to teach birth control, not because they deny science, but because of the morals that they subscribe to being the parent's responsibility to choose when or because the school taught it in elementary. I am fine with birth control being taught to kids around the 7th to 9th grade.

Quote:
BTW, I am reading a book that a friend wrote about her heritage, which is Sicilian.

Looking at the pictures, almost every female is 1/2 a head taller than the males and looks stronger. Interesting....

In a day and age when a crane or backhoe is doing 95% of the work, I am quite confident that females are more than capable of doing a lot of the jobs which used to be mostly male.

Heck, I thought we proved that in WWII. Rosie the Riveter.

You are irrational and anti-science.

#1 Are you denying that there are in fact biological differences based in sound science between the genders?

For example, are you denying that men for biological reasons have more testosterone on average and that testosterone impacts the brain and muscles? Not just in humans, but in other mammals...

#2 Nobody is saying that people belonging to any group can't do anything based on their group.

Women can do any type of a occupation that a man can do.

Men can do any type of a occupation that a woman can do.

This doesn't preclude the science that there are biological differences.

#3 As far as the anecdotal heights in your Sicilian picture go...adult male populations around the world have taller average heights than adult females. This is straight up genetics. You can deny this science all you want, but can you find a single country on earth where women have a higher average height than men? No, an anecdotal photo will not suffice.

Health & Medical News - Genes explain why men are taller - 11/09/2001

Females tend to be taller around late elementary to early junior high and then it changes...all around the globe. Is this not an inherent genetic trait? In our closest animal genetic relatives - bonobos - they have a matriarchal society and yet male bonobos are larger than female bonobos.

Why are women smaller than men? When anthropology meets evolutionary biology : Nature Precedings

What is wrong with simply saying although some women are taller than men, men on average are taller and this is a biological trait???

#4 Tibetans have a gene that other populations on earth do not have that allows their body to better cope in high altitude with less oxygen.

Yes, other groups of people can become great mountain climbers. No, this does not mean that Tibetans are better people or deserve more rights or are you superior.

However, does it not mean that Tibetans on average will perform better at high altitudes? Would you expect a group of 100 randomly selected English people to perform the exact same in high altitude as a group of 100 randomly selected Tibetans? Sure, some English might perform better than some Tibetans at high altitude...and it would be a fool to deny an English person an opportunity to become a climber, as they have had some great ones....but would you truly expect equal outcomes between the two groups at high altitudes due to the biological difference?

That isn't hate, that isn't bias against English people, this doesn't mean English are inferior and deserve less opportunities or rights, this is just pure science and reality.

Tibetans inherited high-altitude gene from ancient human | Science | AAAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The general rule is if you are criticizing men, you are okay. If you say anything that might be construed as criticizing women, you are a mysoginist.
I guess so.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 04-03-2018 at 07:41 AM..

Old 04-03-2018, 07:32 AM

25,901 posts, read 16,627,832 times
They’ve been ignoring science for over 40 years by legalizing the holocaust of our time abortion.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:43 AM

1,316 posts, read 754,072 times
You know why we don't just definitively state, "Men are better at these tasks, women are better at those tasks, and that's just the way it is"? Because, as a previous poster pointed out, the data is based on averages and generalizations, of course, but there's more to it. What if some of that is culturally based, as well? Is it a static eventuality, or could it be changed by a change in societal behavior? Where are the outliers? How average is "average"? There's so much that we don't know about the brain, that we don't know about how it affects our natural abilities, that it's ludicrous to make a blanket statement and just accept it. That isn't how science works. If we have a "yes, but," we need to see where the "but" leads. That's how science works. So it isn't that "the left" doesn't accept verified science, it's just that this bit may not mean what you think it does.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:32 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,873,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
This thread isn't about any of that. I have been very clear that many people break the trends, group averages, etc.. I am asking why so many people deny science in some cases, but accept it in others - and often along group lines, etc..

In class and dealing with other teachers I have never had a single person deny that there are biological reasons for women to have higher averages at some tasks. I often have people deny that there are biological reasons for men to have higher averages.

I have literally now had multiple students deny the science that men on average have more muscle due in part to biological differences - I have had students deny that men have more testosterone and testosterone results in more muscle, which equals men naturally will gain a little more muscle. Some even denied Olympic result differences between genders as evidence and claimed all sports differences between genders is cultural based (society favoring males as athletes) and "nothing" to do with biological differences.

At this point all I can do is ask you really think there is no biological differences between men and women in regards to muscles? They say yes and for fear of using sexist science I move on.

Do you see my point...where is society heading when we pick and choose which science to deny and accept based on group identity?

P.S. To make sure we are clear, yes some women are stronger than some men, yes women should exercise and play sports just like men, etc....but that doesn't preclude accepting science in regards to testosterone for accounting some of the muscle difference between genders - no?
On the blue, as I stated, they deny that the average/mean applies to all within a particular group or gender. Most do not deny that the average/mean exist, just that it does not represent everyone in a particular gender or group of people.

Oftentimes people attempt to use particular studies that they agree with to try to prove something about a gender or group of people in order to rationalize them treating or viewing said gender/group in a discriminatory manner.

That is what people don't like.

On your students, I'd ask how old they are. I love kids/young people but I don't consider their views to be representative of general society. I often engage with youth and 20 somethings as well and they have some very unlearned/ignorant views and comments about a variety of things. That is because they are young and in many cases idealistic. Youth comes with inexperience and so students choosing not to believe biological science is nothing that I would take seriously. Teenagers and pre-teens like to rebel against common ideas/authorities and also are sympathetic to people who they view as being targeted/bullied (like women and other groups). That, per "science" is developmentally appropriate behavior for children and so I don't take what they say all that seriously or get frustrated by it. I believe that all chilldren and people in general can learn and that eventually, unless they are developmentally disabled, they'll see the err of their ways in the future and will seek to educate themselves on topics. As a teacher (I only tutor and mentor but you as a teacher) one should encourage them to consider and think about an opposing viewpoint and research something that they don't agree with to see if it changes their mind, provides them more info to back their own original assertion, or just provides them more information about both the opposing and their own idea. Basically for them to "think" about the science in question (or topic in genera). IMO our educational system lacks in teaching children to think and rationalize and instead pushes them to accept without evidence and to memorize.

Will note, of course I do think people should accept basic science - like men and women are biologically different; however, the most important part of learning should be exploring topics and seeing how scientists came to a conclusion on the basics.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:36 AM

18,537 posts, read 9,232,423 times
It’s also bad science to judge *individuals* by *statistical averages.*

Most serial killers are white men. That doesn’t mean that I’m likely to be a serial killer.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:01 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,642,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It wasnt that long ago that science though radium was a good product that had all kinds of potential uses!
If you consider a century to be "not that long ago."

Science has advanced a little in that time. Good thing it kept advancing and getting a better handle on nature.

Consider getting on board.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:03 AM

1,316 posts, read 754,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They’ve been ignoring science for over 40 years by legalizing the holocaust of our time abortion.
That's not science. It's emotion and opinion. It's belief. That doesn't mean it isn't important. But science would say a fetus is not a baby. It has the potential to become a baby. Whether one is as important as the other is not science, though it may be the crux of the matter to you. When you conflate belief and science, it doesn't strengthen your argument. It only seems ignorant.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:07 AM

18,537 posts, read 9,232,423 times
Quote:

One thing is for sure: you’d never want to go in against her if death was on the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies