Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:24 AM

26,513 posts, read 15,092,794 times

Advertisements

When is it okay to deny or ignore science?

There are biological differences that make the female and the male mind perform differently on average. Yet I've never seen anyone deny or ignore the science that women are generally speaking better at some mental tasks on average like multi-tasking and there is a biological basis for it...while on the other hand I do see people denying/ignoring science that there is a biological basis for the male mind on average to outperform female minds in some areas....or that hormones such as testosterone and estrogen do play a role on the brain. For example, Testosterone impacts spatial processing power.

These biological differences could spell out into career differences just as muscles can.

I've never seen anyone deny or ignore the science that genetics plays a role in your structural traits of your body like how tall you are, but I do see people deny or ignore the science that genetics plays a role in the structure of your brain and this structure impacts intelligence, memory, processing, etc...

Is there a general rule of thumb for when I am to deny or ignore science to comply with modern PC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 07:28 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,971,727 times
Wow, this is a surprise. I was expecting a eugenics thread. The day is still young.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:31 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

There are biological differences that make the female and the male mind perform differently on average. Yet I've never seen anyone deny or ignore the science that women are generally speaking better at some mental tasks on average like multi-tasking and there is a biological basis for it...while on the other hand I do see people denying/ignoring science that there is a biological basis for the male mind on average to outperform female minds in some areas....or that hormones such as testosterone and estrogen do play a role on the brain. For example, Testosterone impacts spatial processing power.

These biological differences could spell out into career differences just as muscles can.

I've never seen anyone deny or ignore the science that genetics plays a role in your structural traits of your body like how tall you are, but I do see people deny or ignore the science that genetics plays a role in the structure of your brain and this structure impacts intelligence, memory, processing, etc...

Is there a general rule of thumb for when I am to deny or ignore science to comply with modern PC?
Shrug.

Don't worry about "modern PC", whatever the hell that is.

Stick with the science. Now it's true that in a "hot" research area, scientists will be disagreeing and doing their best to disprove one hypothesis while supporting another. Do your best.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
It wasnt that long ago that science though radium was a good product that had all kinds of potential uses!

Old 04-02-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It wasnt that long ago that science though radium was a good product that had all kinds of potential uses!
Never said scientists are always right about everything.

BTW, last I heard radium is still used in nuclear medicine. I imagine many of the people who are treated with it are grateful for it.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:26 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Lefty nonsense: When progressives wage war on reason.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...war-on-reason/

Today’s progressive movement is actually socially authoritarian.
They seek dominion over issues such as food, the environment and education. And they claim that their policies are based on science, even when they are not.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Lefty nonsense: When progressives wage war on reason.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...war-on-reason/

Today’s progressive movement is actually socially authoritarian.
They seek dominion over issues such as food, the environment and education. And they claim that their policies are based on science, even when they are not.
And conservatives also claim that their policies are based on science, even when they are not. As the article you cite plainly states.

It's a human propensity to marshal reasons to support what you feel is right.

Science has certainly been misused frequently, and it will continue to be misused - by anyone with an axe to grind. The only defense is to understand the nature of scientific discussion, and that takes some effort. Whenever someone says "Well, science says...", I go on alert. Maybe "science says" maybe it doesn't. Do your own homework.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:46 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
The PC guide book is a Democrat publication for its Liberal members.
Being a registered independent I used to get the occasional memo from the Left that was mostly about what to be outraged over that week but it got to be too much when Trump took office so I cancelled my subscription.

What I learned was that science is only applied by the PC Left when it suits them to push an agenda.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:57 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
And conservatives also claim that their policies are based on science, even when they are not. As the article you cite plainly states.

It's a human propensity to marshal reasons to support what you feel is right.

Science has certainly been misused frequently, and it will continue to be misused - by anyone with an axe to grind. The only defense is to understand the nature of scientific discussion, and that takes some effort. Whenever someone says "Well, science says...", I go on alert. Maybe "science says" maybe it doesn't. Do your own homework.
The conclusion in the link :

Conservatives who endorse unscientific ideas are blasted by the scientific community, yet progressives who do the same get a free pass. It is important the problem be recognized, and that free pass revoked.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:04 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,399,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

On average
Generally speaking

Guess what that all means? There are still a whole lot of people who fall outside of these norms. You seem to want to take "on average" and "generally speaking" and apply it across the wide range of people.

If you understand science, you understand what it means for something to be the average. It means that quite a lot also falls outside of that average range.

You can't use "on average" and "generally speaking" to discriminate. And that means a woman who aims to be a CEO or a man who wants to be a nurse or a teacher. A boy who is great at writing in school or a girl who excels at math and science. These things happen frequently no matter what the average is.

Yet, even as a liberal person, I can see that we shouldn't expect equal numbers of female CEOs to male CEOs anymore than we can expect equal numbers of male nurses or preschool teachers. But we should understand that they all have great value and should not face discrimination in achieving their goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies