Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US military be deployed to the border?
Yes 135 60.54%
No 88 39.46%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 02:38 PM

3,867 posts, read 4,076,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Well, if you tried that on MY property along the border, I'd have to get my own gun out.
You wouldn't have to worry about it...................as long as you're a legal citizen of course. Glad to hear you have a gun though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 02:43 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
It's my understanding that deployment of US military for domestic purposes is illegal. That's the National Guard's job. Now if the Mexican military was threatening us at the border, that would be a different story.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:45 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The US military can't be used for civilian enforcement inside the US. It can be used to repel invasions which this "caravan" is.
Wrong. The caravan is not a military invasion.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:46 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Where did this "caravan" take place? I haven't been reading the news the last couple of days.
Some group from San Diego, in English "People Without Borders" organized about 1000 Hondurans to walk through Mexico to the border then demand asylum. The group has grown along the trek. A list of their so-called "demands" are on the Drudge Report.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:47 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,696,994 times
Trump, the Dictator, thinks he can circumvent the law. Next he will be threatening to send the Boy Scouts there.

Once again, empty talk from someone who has no idea what he is talking about.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:48 PM

24,458 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Yes send the troops to protect the border.

Obama did it once in 2010 when he sent 1200 troops to the border.
http://www.bbc.com/news/10159363
This was back when Obama thought illegal immigration was a bad thing.

We have word of a group (caravan) of illegal aliens heading our way, they should be called alien invaders. Their plan is to cross/ invade America.

Who are these people? Are they armed? Do they bring biological weapons in the form of diseases that have been pretty much wiped out in the USA but still thrives in third world countries?

Get security down there now.

This is odd to write but protecting our border can be the first deployment of new soldiers before they head off to protect the borders of other countries... Tell me again why we protect theirs but not ours??

Old 04-03-2018, 02:50 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,120,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

We have word of a group (caravan) of illegal aliens heading our way, they should be called alien invaders. Their plan is to cross/ invade America.

Who are these people? Are they armed? Do they bring biological weapons in the form of diseases that have been pretty much wiped out in the USA but still thrives in third world countries?

This is odd to write but protecting our border can be the first deployment of new soldiers before they head off to protect the borders of other countries... Tell me again why we protect theirs but not ours??
Are you high or on illegal substances?

Old 04-03-2018, 02:57 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
It's my understanding that deployment of US military for domestic purposes is illegal. That's the National Guard's job. Now if the Mexican military was threatening us at the border, that would be a different story.
Obama and Bush deployed the National Guard. But, under the Posse Comiticus Act, they were limited to providing support to the Border Patrol. They could not detain, interrogate or arrest anyone. Congress would have to give special approval for them to do more than that.

I have no problem with the National Guard being used again, as they were during both the Obama and Bush administrations.

However, I would have a problem with the President ordering troops to the border to do things that would be in violation of established U.S. law without congressional approval. That would probably require the President to declare martial law, and I have a serious issue with that.

Martial law means that the constitutional rights of U.S. citizens, like the 2nd Amendment, the right to due process, and protection from illegal search could be suspended.

So, I wasn't able to respond to the poll. Fine with National Guard if they are acting within established law being deployed as Obama and Bush did; not fine with martial law being used to deploy the military to do things they are prohibited by law from doing at the border.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:59 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

Obama to send extra troops to bolster US-Mexico border - BBC News
This was back when Obama thought illegal immigration was a bad thing.

Have you visited this thread yet?

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ason-they.html

Old 04-03-2018, 02:59 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Obama and Bush deployed the National Guard. But, under the Posse Comiticus Act, they were limited to providing support to the Border Patrol. They could not detain, interrogate or arrest anyone. Congress would have to give special approval for them to do more than that.

I have no problem with the National Guard being used again, as they were during both the Obama and Bush administrations.

However, I would have a problem with the President ordering troops to the border to do things that would be in violation of established U.S. law without congressional approval. That would probably require the President to declare martial law, and I have a serious issue with that.

Martial law means that the constitutional rights of U.S. citizens, like the 2nd Amendment, the right to due process, and protection from illegal search could be suspended.

So, I wasn't able to respond to the poll. Fine with National Guard if they are acting within established law being deployed as Obama and Bush did; not fine with martial law being used to deploy the military to do things they are prohibited by law from doing at the border.
I'd answered 'no' for the same reasons outlawed here--National Guard, yes. Regular Army, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies