Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 07:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,379,242 times

Advertisements

UW administrator: 'Do you read your Bible on campus?!'

Susana Asberry teaches a writing class at UW. She was placed on probation after answering a student's question:

Quote:
During a writing unit that involved American slang, the students learned about the phrase “bucket list” and submitted their own examples. A student asked Susana about her bucket list and Susana replied: “When I retire, I want to share the word of God with people.”
One student complained. As an observant Muslim, who covers her body as part of her faith, she said she was made to feel unsafe. According to Susana, that is when her career changed.

The Muslim student wears a head-covering, as the interviewer (at link) points out, literally wearing her religion on her sleeve. And Susana points out that there are areas in the classroom designated for Muslim students to pray. Apparently they bring their prayer rugs, leave them in the designated area, and go to pray when it is time to do so. Susana says she never had a problem with this, and obviously there was no discipline being issued by the UW admin for it.

Along with the probation, she is required to undergo re-education. She said that a union rep was with her during the meeting where the discipline was issued. Iff the union lets this stand, she probably has a lawsuit against the union for allowing 'disparate treatment.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 07:18 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,040,177 times
The kid and school were wrong on this since the teacher was not forcing her religion on anyone. And the student who complained, in particular, should have been made to appreciate the idiotic irony of complaining about other people professing their faith when they are doing the same.

That being said, don't think I'm blind to the political angle obviously being put on this, particularly around this forum and its infamous hard-right leaning. If this situation had been reversed and the Muslim teacher had spoke of spreading Allah's word and some hard-right Christian kid complained, this forum would be lit up with righties praising this move to keep "those people" out of our nation along with some random YouTube videos that "prove" all Muslims are horrible in some random way.

So, yeah... a lot of wrongs to go around...

Old 04-10-2018, 07:23 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,391,106 times
Oh god.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:27 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,307,475 times
I don't get it. Muslims believe in God and pray five times a day. What was her concern?

Old 04-10-2018, 07:34 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Smells like Russian trollery to me.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:35 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,379,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The kid and school were wrong on this since the teacher was not forcing her religion on anyone. And the student who complained, in particular, should have been made to appreciate the idiotic irony of complaining about other people professing their faith when they are doing the same.

That being said, don't think I'm blind to the political angle obviously being put on this, particularly around this forum and its infamous hard-right leaning. If this situation had been reversed and the Muslim teacher had spoke of spreading Allah's word and some hard-right Christian kid complained, this forum would be lit up with righties praising this move to keep "those people" out of our nation along with some random YouTube videos that "prove" all Muslims are horrible in some random way.

So, yeah... a lot of wrongs to go around...

I don't think that there would have been complaints from the right if a teacher mentioned 'Allah.' Can you supply just one example of that?

Old 04-10-2018, 07:36 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,638,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Oh god.

Moderators, I feel unsafe.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:37 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,638,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Smells like Russian trollery to me.

If by Russian trollery you mean loons on the left, I agree.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,391,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Moderators, I feel unsafe.
Rarely does a LOL really mean you laughed out loud but this one was legit.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:39 PM

34,251 posts, read 18,616,638 times
Oh My God!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies