Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 09:03 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I may be wrong, but conventional war, especially on large, or worldwide scale is obsolete. Countries are not willing to go through the destruction of their infrastructure, nor willing to take loss of life on a large scale. Their populace just won't put up with it.

Warfare will continue to be in small doses, or will be more terror attacks, and counter terror attacks, insurgency, and counter insurgency. I doubt we will see massive tank battles, and armies fighting in mass numbers anymore.

People haven't changed.

There will always be wars.

We'll pin medals on our dead sons one day and do business with the people that killed them the next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 09:20 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
We're screwed then. We are soft, Putin has proven that, plus he is shrewd and cunning, and Trump is clueless and lost.
Is everything about Trump with you? There are LONG standing defense mechanisms in place in the United States. There are procedures and all the President can do is follow them.

Are we vulnerable? Of course we are, this is a free society so there are inherent risks.

What is wrong with you. Your Trump Derangement Syndrome is making it impossible for you to function. You should dump your social media accounts and read a book and learn how to think again.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:33 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
In that case it looks like WW3 is already here, and is here to stay. It would be hard for me to put a date when it started; it's been going on for many years, and if you live in Israel then you have learned to live with it.

I saw on Reuters where the residents of Damascus just shrugged off the latest strike. They said they have lived with it for years.

Actually, I am encouraged by the current state of affairs. Nowadays if some dictator tests the water with gas or mass kidnappings he gets thwacked pretty hard. Iran went for years and years where nuclear scientists were killed and viruses were sent to attack centrifuges. And I remember back a few years ago when a nuclear facility in Syria was bombed and no one ever said anything about it!

So I'm a fan of constant, low level warfare. Seems to me that it prevents the big war from starting.
You will change your mind once you will start to suffer from outages yourself.

Killing scientists in other countries is what rogue states do, not what supposedly civilized countries do. Which is why the US and Israel do such things.
It is absurd when, of all countries, the US uses the chemical gas pretext to attack Syria, when the US dropped hundreds of thousands of tons of Napalm on Korean and Vietnamese families, not to mention nuclear bombs on civilians in Japan.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:31 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,120,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Feel free to respond to my point in your next post because all you just did was re-state your previous point.
I thought I answered your question.

I said I don't think his most influential supporters are coming back--they know they've been had.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:40 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
You will change your mind once you will start to suffer from outages yourself.

Killing scientists in other countries is what rogue states do, not what supposedly civilized countries do. Which is why the US and Israel do such things.
It is absurd when, of all countries, the US uses the chemical gas pretext to attack Syria, when the US dropped hundreds of thousands of tons of Napalm on Korean and Vietnamese families, not to mention nuclear bombs on civilians in Japan.
Well if North Korea never invaded South Korea, and North Vietnam never invaded South Vietnam, the U.S. and NATO would have never had to act in those countries. Also Japan ATTACKED the U.S. first, and Germany declared war the next day. We ended up having to bail Europe out of that one, yet again. The U.S. protects your ungrateful butt every day.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:59 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,120,999 times
Quote:
Well if North Korea never invaded South Korea, and North Vietnam never invaded South Vietnam, the U.S. and NATO would have never had to act in those countries. Also Japan ATTACKED the U.S. first, and Germany declared war the next day. We ended up having to bail Europe out of that one, yet again. The U.S. protects your ungrateful butt every day.
Korea and Vietnam were none of our business, as the United States was never attacked or threatened by either country. 110,000 American lives, and millions of Koreans and Vietnamese, died for nothing.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
That's the point. You try to find excuses for committing horrible crimes against humanity. But there are none.
The Syrian government was also attacked by the rebels, so they might reason the same way and justify using chemical weapons.

The US was just one of many countries that participated in the world war, that's why it is called a world war. The Russians contributed much more to stop the Germans, not to mention other European countries. And all those did not contribute to the Holocaust, unlike US eugenicists and organizations that supported Hitler and his crazy researchers in every way they could.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:03 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Korea and Vietnam were none of our business, as the United States was never attacked or threatened by either country. 110,000 American lives, and millions of Koreans and Vietnamese, died for nothing.
I am not saying I agree with either, but at the time the thought was to stop the spread of communism, and the "Domino Theory". The real threats were from Russia, and China. If we did not at least make a show of force, and resistance it would have emboldened them both.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post

It's actually one of the reasons the North Koreans are so paranoid. They teach about those massacres at school, they think Americans are ruthless murderers.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:05 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,076,574 times
People were much more violent to each other on a personal level before nation-states were invented. When nation-states were first invented the chaotic areas were the borders around the nation-state, before that all areas were chaotic and violent. The only thing that has changed with nation-states is that instead of 3 million people being killed every year through casual violence between people. Large battles were fought resulting in three million dead over 4 years. Sporadically. We are talking less violence it’s just that the violence we now have is larger in scale but with less actual victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies