Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 11:35 AM

39,920 posts, read 26,621,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You make assumptions. NOTHING I said suggested that I was ignorant about guns, or didn't have any exposure to them. But you rushed to that assumption. And you tried to attack my argument based on your faulty assumption.

Once again, a man who is not known to a woman shows up at a park filled with children and families. That man is wearing a shirt that talks about out-of-control children. And guns. And the man is visibly carrying that gun. She doesn't know his intent. She doesn't know if he's a nutjob or a law-abiding citizen. She doesn't know, and she doesn't want to confront him. She calls the police to determine if there is a threat or not. That's not an unreasonable action.
Why would she arbitrarily decide that someone going about their daily business, while carrying a firearm, is a threat? That he is going to pull it out and start shooting? Again, it's no difference than the scenario the other poster wrote about-a couple black guys were in Starbucks and someone reported them as a threat. Or, again, if she were to report every person she saw wearing a burka. As I said, making unwarranted assumptions about someone frequently comes down to ignorance and fear of something they are not familiar with. The Malcolm X scenario is very real because he actually DID advocate violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 11:38 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
For nothing? I don't think we report enough odd happenings. We hide our heads in the sand and hope either "nothing" will happen, or someone else will report it.

Do you have kids or nieces or nephews? Just think about the situation. We were not there, but if I had seen a guy with that wild statement on his t-shirt, advertising that he would shoot, if I did not have a leash on my kids and to top it all off he has a loaded gun in his holster.... hopefully I would have the guts to call for help, like that brave woman did.

What would you do? Regardless of your gun thoughts, this was a peculiar happening.

We go to the park for fun and relaxation, not confrontation. And.......I don't think that guy was a "gentleman."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The shirt said NOTHING about shooting anything. A holstered gun is not a threat to anyone, and calling the police, and taking them away from possibly real emergencies is irresponsible, and silly. That lady, and you if you did that should be FINED for calling the police over nothing. You can put others at risk by occupying the police unnecessarily.

The shirt specifically said he would CONTROL his guns. More irrational emotion from women.
pilots right ms molly, there was nothing on his t shirt that said he was going to start shooting kids. perhaps instead of overreacting, like the woman that called the cops, perhaps you might put your mind to good use and actually think about things, and notice what was going on, and note that he wasnt doing anything at all threatening.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,960,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why would she arbitrarily decide that someone going about their daily business, while carrying a firearm, is a threat? That he is going to pull it out and start shooting? Again, it's no difference than the scenario the other poster wrote about-a couple black guys were in Starbucks and someone reported them as a threat. Or, again, if she were to report every person she saw wearing a burka. As I said, making unwarranted assumptions about someone frequently comes down to ignorance and fear of something they are not familiar with. The Malcolm X scenario is very real because he actually DID advocate violence.
His shirt?

Old 04-17-2018, 11:41 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,933,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What did he DO that would suggest he wasn't minding his own business? What were his actions that were questionable?
Why are you directing these questions at me?

Old 04-17-2018, 11:42 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,960,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
pilots right ms molly, there was nothing on his t shirt that said he was going to start shooting kids. perhaps instead of overreacting, like the woman that called the cops, perhaps you might put your mind to good use and actually think about things, and notice what was going on, and note that he wasnt doing anything at all threatening.
His shirt was a little nut-jobby. That combined with the open carry could be grounds for this woman's suspicions.

Calling the cops was a precaution on her part.

In your opinion, it wasn't reasonable precaution. But in her opinion, it was a reasonable precaution. And in the end, no one's rights were violated. Right?

Old 04-17-2018, 11:45 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
And you don't think a lot (not a majority, but a LOT) of gun owners advocate violence?

That's crazy. How many posts and road rage incidents and domestic violence incidents...where guns were threatened or used do you want to be pointed to.

Remember, that the conversations about guns is different these day. In the good old days it was about hunting and occasionally about personal protection inside of one's "castle"....

Now it's about "guns anywhere and everywhere" being used for "2nd Amendment Remedies" and/or as militia, etc.

To put it simply, these people advocate violence...against the government, against fellow citizens who don't feel the same way they do, etc.

Let me repeat again - yes, people call the police for all kinds of things. The VAST majority of those calls don't pan out to be crimes.

Until you and the NRA make it a crime to call LE when a gun is considered suspicious, people will continue to call.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:51 AM

1,081 posts, read 551,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
And you don't think a lot (not a majority, but a LOT) of gun owners advocate violence?

That's crazy. How many posts and road rage incidents and domestic violence incidents...where guns were threatened or used do you want to be pointed to.

Remember, that the conversations about guns is different these day. In the good old days it was about hunting and occasionally about personal protection inside of one's "castle"....

Now it's about "guns anywhere and everywhere" being used for "2nd Amendment Remedies" and/or as militia, etc.

To put it simply, these people advocate violence...against the government, against fellow citizens who don't feel the same way they do, etc.

Let me repeat again - yes, people call the police for all kinds of things. The VAST majority of those calls don't pan out to be crimes.

Until you and the NRA make it a crime to call LE when a gun is considered suspicious, people will continue to call.
No, the vast majority doesn't.

You are in an echo chamber where your media is feeding your mind a diet of misinformation and fringe half-truths. It's OK, we're here to help.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:52 AM

34,302 posts, read 18,684,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Why are you directing these questions at me?
I was responding to YOUR post which I quoted.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:52 AM

14,068 posts, read 5,687,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
His shirt was a little nut-jobby. That combined with the open carry could be grounds for this woman's suspicions.

Calling the cops was a precaution on her part.

In your opinion, it wasn't reasonable precaution. But in her opinion, it was a reasonable precaution. And in the end, no one's rights were violated. Right?
Young black male wearing a hoodie. Calling the cops is a precaution.

Arabic looking male going through TSA line with backpack. Pulling him out of line for full search is a precaution.

Grown man going to pick up his kids at elementary school, wearing black rock and roll t-shirt, maybe has neck beard. Calling the cops is a precaution.

Yeah, good system, calling/alerting authorities every time someone you see crosses one of your stereotype boundaries. You just never know, and while most young black men in hoodies are good people, you never know when one is a hoodlum hopped up on PurpleDrank, so best to just have authorities delay/question al of them, eh?

Old 04-17-2018, 11:54 AM

9,329 posts, read 4,160,898 times
It's an interesting problem, because the t-shirt slogan really constitutes a threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies