Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 12:24 PM

14,187 posts, read 5,755,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Oh, please. People do call the police every day because they see things that they find suspicious.
Indeed. If we continue the pace at which we expand the surveillance state, "Nineteen Eighty Four" will be a book of current events rather than fiction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I remember numerous posts on this forum complaining about people not calling the police. Something about a Muslim couple in San Bernardino?? And how people SHOULD have called with their suspicions?
You don't remember them from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 12:29 PM

42,732 posts, read 30,005,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Indeed. If we continue the pace at which we expand the surveillance state, "Nineteen Eighty Four" will be a book of current events rather than fiction.
And I share your concerns. Privacy is seriously endangered in our society. And people don't seem to realize that privacy is integral to freedom. At the same time, while many of you feel that this woman's actions were an overreaction, the condemnation of her seems to me to be an overreaction. And it is condemnation of her. People calling her stupid and paranoid and many other things. She didn't violate anyone's rights. The man wasn't arrested. Her apprehensions were put to rest by the police checking to make sure everything was okay.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:33 PM

14,187 posts, read 5,755,678 times
Quote:
And I share your concerns. Privacy is seriously endangered in our society. And people don't seem to realize that privacy is integral to freedom. At the same time, while many of you feel that this woman's actions were an overreaction, the condemnation of her seems to me to be an overreaction. And it is condemnation of her. People calling her stupid and paranoid and many other things. She didn't violate anyone's rights. The man wasn't arrested. Her apprehensions were put to rest by the police checking to make sure everything was okay.
I find anyone calling authorities because of stereotypes to be ignorant and irrational. No, there were no violations of rights, and thank goodness. Doesn't make it any less ignorant and irrational though.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:43 PM

19,905 posts, read 12,423,008 times
I have observed people open carrying at various times when I have lived in states where it is legal. One time a woman (it's always women) started complaining about a guy with a holstered gun, trying to get other people to join her to bully the guy. I just talked to her like she was from a foreign country, and stated you must not be from around here, it is legal in this state. Of course she knew that...and kept blah blah blah and I kept repeating that it is legal and she stomped off. It is always the same type of busy body rude person who starts up, can't just live and let live.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:45 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Venn Diagram

People who think 2 black guys in a Starbucks were plotting something and this guy "with a “gun holstered to his chest,” was wearing a shirt that read “You control your kids, I’ll control my guns.”" was minding his own business.
It’s really amazing, isn’t it?

Bigoted with a side of mental illness is my diagnosis for people who think like that.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:47 PM

34,393 posts, read 18,778,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
It’s really amazing, isn’t it?

Bigoted with a side of mental illness is my diagnosis for people who think like that.
Yet who got taken away in handcuffs, lawfully, by police?

Irrational fear of the law abiding with a gun is a mental illness, and a denial of rights.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:56 PM

29,888 posts, read 14,940,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
And you don't think a lot (not a majority, but a LOT) of gun owners advocate violence?

Absolutely not. Those that do are the ones I don't want owning firearms. Those that get into road rage accidents and brandish their weapons are again, not the majority and I'm glad they get weeded out by their actions.

Think about this. The estimates are from 40% to 50% of the population own a firearm. If the majority of those people advocated violence don't you think we would all see that ? Come on, look at the numbers and think it out logically.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yet who got taken away in handcuffs, lawfully, by police?

Irrational fear of the law abiding with a gun is a mental illness, and a denial of rights.

Being arrested for hanging out in Starbucks or being shot at for asking for directions is a little more irrational than being arrested for having a weapon in a public space, skin color aside (which I know is hard for you).

And maybe with all of the white men shooting up schools, churches, music venues, malls, etc., maybe she thought she had good reason to call the cops. (shoe -> foot)

Last edited by ATG5; 04-17-2018 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 01:09 PM

42,732 posts, read 30,005,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I find anyone calling authorities because of stereotypes to be ignorant and irrational. No, there were no violations of rights, and thank goodness. Doesn't make it any less ignorant and irrational though.
You are asserting she called because of a stereotype. I am asserting that she called because a man wore a T-shirt at a playground that said "I CONTROL MY GUNS YOU CONTROL YOUR KIDS", AND the man carried a gun. She found it threatening, she called the police to ascertain if there was a threat. I don't think her actions were ignorant or irrational.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
You are asserting she called because of a stereotype. I am asserting that she called because a man wore a T-shirt at a playground that said "I CONTROL MY GUNS YOU CONTROL YOUR KIDS", AND the man carried a gun. She found it threatening, she called the police to ascertain if there was a threat. I don't think her actions were ignorant or irrational.
Remember the thread with the black teen, the man who shot at the kid thought he was a threat? Now that a white man posed a threat to someone even though he wasn’t doing anything illegal (much like he black kid), all of a sudden now it’s problem.

Amazing how skin color turns people’s brains into mush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies