Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 06:02 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Federal law says you cant discriminate based on sexual orientation, it doesn't matter if you personally think its perverted or if you read that it was in your favorite religious allegorical book.
If you ask me yay or nay sure, the chaplain should do his job how is this any difference than conscientious objectors. I do see some middle ground I do think this more a transitional period but the army should perhaps break up the MOS in two designations one of them being people with religious objections to gay marriage and the other people who dont, then keep the proper ratio.
What law says that and to who?

People discriminate all the time. You sure can discriminate. I don't think the military can complain if they hire someone to perform an expressly religious function. If they don't want this kind of scenario hire a MFT instead.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:15 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Wrong!

Catholic Chaplins serve Catholic personnel.

Protestant Chaplins serve Protestant personnel.

Jewish Chaplins serve Jewish personnel.

Islamic Chaplins serve Islamic personnel.

No Catholic Chaplin has ever been disciplined for refusing to hold Islamic prayer.

No Islamic Chaplin has ever been disciplined for refusing to read from the Torah.

See how that works?
So every unit has an islamic chaplain attached to it? Every unit has a wiccan chaplain attached to it?

Now I haven't been in the military myself (married an airman and went with him to Japan though), but I'm pretty sure that is not the case.

I found an article written by an actual military chaplain. He has this to say -

"Chaplains exist, in other words, for the sake of the troops, not for themselves or for their denominations. They serve all members of the military and their dependents, not just members of their own faith group.

I served as a Catholic chaplain but took care of everyone of any faith, little faith and no faith. The motto of the chaplaincy is “Perform or provide.” On those rare times when I could not, for whatever reason, take care of the person, I referred them (usually by walking them down the hall) to someone who could take care of them. I never said “no” and left them adrift; it was my duty to make sure that they had what they needed. As a Catholic, I can’t perform same-sex marriage; so I would find a chaplain who could do that. What I think of same-sex marriage does not matter: They have a right to religious support when legal."
https://www.stripes.com/military-cha...roops-1.181072

Note that the chaplain being disciplined was NOT ASKED to perform a religious ceremony. He was asked to include a lesbian spouse in a non-denominational marriage workshop. It was simply none of his business whether she was legally married to a man or a woman.

Last edited by jacqueg; 04-19-2018 at 06:25 PM..

Old 04-19-2018, 06:26 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
So every unit has an islamic chaplain attached to it? Every unit has a wiccan chaplain attached to it?

Now I haven't been in the military myself (married an airman and went with him to Japan though), but I'm pretty sure that is not the case.

"Chaplains exist, in other words, for the sake of the troops, not for themselves or for their denominations. They serve all members of the military and their dependents, not just members of their own faith group.

I served as a Catholic chaplain but took care of everyone of any faith, little faith and no faith. The motto of the chaplaincy is “Perform or provide.” On those rare times when I could not, for whatever reason, take care of the person, I referred them (usually by walking them down the hall) to someone who could take care of them. I never said “no” and left them adrift; it was my duty to make sure that they had what they needed. As a Catholic, I can’t perform same-sex marriage; so I would find a chaplain who could do that. What I think of same-sex marriage does not matter: They have a right to religious support when legal."

Note that the chaplain being disciplined was NOT ASKED to perform a religious ceremony.
He did exactly the same thing though. He followed what his church ordained (which in his case prohibits providing same-sex marriage counseling services) and arranged an alternative adviser for the lesbian couple.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:18 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I don't think the military can complain if they hire someone to perform an expressly religious function.
The Strong Bonds program is not expressly religious. Try again.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:38 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
There is no such thing as an islamic chaplin or a Jewish chaplin...LOL
Just Charles Chaplin. LOL!

Old 04-19-2018, 09:42 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
He did exactly the same thing though. He followed what his church ordained (which in his case prohibits providing same-sex marriage counseling services) and arranged an alternative adviser for the lesbian couple.
Except that in doing so, he de facto excluded them from the Strong Bonds program - y'know, the program that's based on the entire unit's family members participating together.

He's not doing the job. Worse, he's not putting his unit first, and if you've ever worn green, you'll know that's the cardinal sin. Fire his rear.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:49 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Note that the chaplain being disciplined was NOT ASKED to perform a religious ceremony. He was asked to include a lesbian spouse in a non-denominational marriage workshop. It was simply none of his business whether she was legally married to a man or a woman.
Here is a passage from the same link, which is very telling:

One wonders what “religious liberty” means to these chaplains. The right to dictate what religious ceremonies others can conduct? The right to walk up to a gay Marine and tell him he’s going to hell?

The rights of a chaplain stop with his ministerial role — or, as my teacher said, “Your rights end where my nose begins.” These examples are outside the ministerial duties of preaching, teaching and religious counseling.

This cry of “religious liberty” is nothing but a red herring; no one is trying to dictate preaching or religious counseling. Nor will it happen to any chaplain. I would defend any one of them, but never someone who disrespects another brother or sister in military service. Respect is a core military value. Basic respect, certainly tolerance, is non-negotiable.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:23 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
I would just like to post a link to four chaplains who defined what being a chaplain means............

Chaplain Medal of Honor Recipients - Page 11

Old 04-19-2018, 10:31 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Isn't this the same sect that proclaimed all Jews were going to hell unless they convert and became "born again"?
Oh, it isn’t just Jews. It’s everybody who doesn’t hitch their wagon to their caravan. And that includes Roman Catholics.

The southern Baptist convention is a two-faced cult. They think nobody knows about all the trash they talk about Catholics. They are wrong.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:32 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Separation of church and state as you mean it was invented by the Soviets, not the Founding Fathers. And I don't recognize the lawless Supreme Court's ruling as valid.
Well, that sounds like a personal problem to me.

Last edited by EDnurse; 04-19-2018 at 11:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies