Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 03:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,308,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
So Bentbow, are you someone who loves New Russia?
I was on Russia's side when they told Obama that going into Syria was a mistake. They were right and indeed this is where they became the "bad guy".

Why did the "left" start to believe that being a "war monger" was the way to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 04:28 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
If Russia is not a super power then why the west fears her so much? If Russia is so weak then why she was cowardly circled with numerous of the NATO military bases?
The west "Fears" Russia because for ~50 or so years they were brainwashed that Communists were out to get them, and that a nuclear attack and invasion from the Soviet Union could come at any moment. That was the central political theme of the second half of the 20th century.

Today's younger generations didn't grow up under that fear. For most, Russia is just annoying, and it isn't entirely clear what Russia wants. They engage in a lot of sabre-rattling and general nuisances, like espionage and threatening Estonia, Ukraine, Georgia, etc

Quote:
First of all, there is nothing wrong with the muslim population living in Russia.
That's not what Putin says.

Quote:
Second of all, population i.e. human resources of a country does not matter in the modern war. One soldier with some hi-tech sophisticated weapon can kill thousand people in a moment.
Indeed, this is an important distinction in modern Russian warfare vs. modern American warfare.

In Russian warfare, you rely on carpet-bombing techniques to kill thousands of civilians. Russia is truly innovative, indeed, in things like napalm launchers, cluster bombs, or MLRS. Things that are designed to kill indiscriminately. Like the TOS-1 or SMERCH.

In American warfare, we focus primarily on weapons that minimize civilian casualties and can hit specific targets.

This shows the difference in mentality.

Quote:
There was not invasion of Georgia.
lol

Quote:
Crimeans voluntarily voted to rejoin with Russia themselves.
After Russia invaded. Oops, I mean Russians with Russians equipment operating on Russian orders. Not actually Russia.

I'll accept that many Crimeans wanted to join Russia, but don't pretend that Russia didn't invade Ukraine militarily in order to force that outcome.

Quote:
The flight MH-17 has been shot by the ukrainian army using the russian weaponry of the soviet era.
Citation needed

Quote:
The "unexplained deaths" of journalists were explained many times.
Oh, do tell.

Quote:
Your lacking of the geographical knowledge is amazing. The hateful brainwashed people of the US and the EU are not the whole world. A few western countries of arrogant foreign policy are in minority. On the other hand, Asia, Latin America, Africa, India, China are majority of the world population. And they tired of the west, not of Russia.
Speaking of lack of geographical knowledge

Russia is "the west," just a very poor and isolated part of it, despite your attempts to define yourselves otherwise.

Once upon a time, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, it was hoped that Russia would move beyond this petty mentality that it somehow exists independently of the west, or even opposes it.

The Soviets had that opportunity, back in the 1940's and 1950's, to be a legitimate "axis" of the world, independent of "the west." But they squandered it by embracing authoritarian politics. I'm not saying they needed to be a Democracy like ours, but they did need to develop some kind of viable "free" system of their own, and they failed.

Last edited by le roi; 04-23-2018 at 04:49 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 07:40 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,453,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Who cares what Russia thinks, it's not a super power, is 13th in the world in terms of economy, spends $70 Billion on Defence and has a population of around 145 million, of which nearly 20 million are Muslim.

The US is the worlds number one economy, spends $700 Billion, which is ten times as much on Defence and has a population of over 330 million.

The rest of Europe spends over $250 Billion on Defence and has a population over 500 million, and are a lot more imprtant in terms of trade.

China is reaching super power status, and India will become a very powerful country due to it's sheer size, indeed it's population is expected to reach 1.7 Billion by 2050.

In terms of Putin's Russia, it likes to play the big man on the world stage but the reality is very different.

As for Russia's record, the invasion of Georgia, the annexation of Crimea, the shooting down og flight MH-17, the unexplained deaths of numerous investigative journalists, Russian businessmen and anty one who opposes Putin and his regime and the hacking and on line propoganda are all equally disgusting.

The world is tired of Russia, which is why many nsations at the earliest oipportunity were happy to send your diplomats and spies home at the earliest opportunity, and why Russia is a virtual pariah on the world stage, and Putin a corrupt embarrassment.
By PPP its larger than Germany.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:41 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,453,904 times
All these anti-Russian people are brainwashed by are corrupt government and media.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:33 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,483,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I was on Russia's side when they told Obama that going into Syria was a mistake.
I agreed with that as well.

Quote:
Why did the "left" start to believe that being a "war monger" was the way to go?
You beg the question.

This is not war mongering. It is patriotic concern over Russia's incursions into our sovereignty. It has already happened, and continues to happen.

Denying the problem does not make it go away. Acknowledging the problem does not make one a war-monger, it is the first step in defending our republic.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:35 AM

8,885 posts, read 4,605,883 times
Vodka.

That is all.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I agreed with that as well.

You beg the question.

This is not war mongering. It is patriotic concern over Russia's incursions into our sovereignty. It has already happened, and continues to happen.

Denying the problem does not make it go away. Acknowledging the problem does not make one a war-monger, it is the first step in defending our republic.
Every single country in the world involve themselves into the affairs of other countries. This entire new Russia thing isn't about that. It's about Russia not going along with us in their part of the world. They have no reason to.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:50 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,483,237 times
Quote:
Every single country in the world involve themselves into the affairs of other countries. This entire new Russia thing isn't about that. It's about Russia not going along with us in their part of the world. They have no reason to.
I disagree.

Russia cyber-attacked us, they interfered in our electoral process, including hacking into state voter election rolls, and even hacking into the companies that maintain electronic voting machinery. They have demonstrated that they know how to shut down television stations and electrical grids. They engage in psychological warfare through social media experiments and generating false news.

Russia is hostile to us through their actions.

I would like you to define what 'their part of the world' is.

Are you referring to how they are subverting and swallowing up Ukraine? If so, are we to be ok with that?

Ukraine is a direct neighbor of NATO countries, and these unwarranted attacks are very concerning to our partners in defense. Are we supposed to turn a blind eye?

I would like to see peace in the world, and cooperation between nations. I would like to see our defense budget reduced to reasonable levels we as a nation can afford, I am not going to promote unnecessary aggression or imperialistic schemes. But to be absolutely clear I love my country and I know we can not, must not stand in a stupor while Russia sucker punches us.

We need our security services standing strong on our behalf. As far as I am concerned anyone not with us on this is against us.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I disagree.

Russia cyber-attacked us, they interfered in our electoral process,
No they didn't.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:50 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,846,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Russia is just annoying, and it isn't entirely clear what Russia wants.
What? Russia clearly and openly explains what she wants and did it numerous times. Either you have never listened to Putin speeches and have never read unedited russian statements regarding their policy or you just can't grasp what it was all about.

Quote:
They engage in a lot of sabre-rattling and general nuisances, like espionage and threatening Estonia, Ukraine, Georgia, etc.
This is BS from your favorite news outlets. But here is something new here. Now Estonia is added to the BS list. What espionage and what threatening?

Quote:
Indeed, this is an important distinction in modern Russian warfare vs. modern American warfare.
In Russian warfare, you rely on carpet-bombing techniques to kill thousands of civilians. Russia is truly innovative, indeed, in things like napalm launchers, cluster bombs, or MLRS. Things that are designed to kill indiscriminately. Like the TOS-1 or SMERCH.
In American warfare, we focus primarily on weapons that minimize civilian casualties and can hit specific targets.
This shows the difference in mentality.
This is utter rubbish. Russia produces their precision weapons very well. Just last year during the anti-terrorist operation in Syria, a Russian warship launched their high-precision missiles that precisely hit a few of the ISIS command posts and warehouses. Nothing was touched around the targets. There are lots of videos on youtube showing this.
Regarding the difference in mentality I must say that you have no idea about mentality of both nations. You just seeing them upside down in a crooked mirror. Probably your history book is the collection of the old newspaper clippings of the cold war era which were filled with anti-russian propaganda. But I won't educate you on the Russian mentality matter because it's pointless here. But I can remind you some events of american history from which you would see what the american mentality is. The US committed genocide against native americans, enslaved black people, massacred Filipinos, nuked Japanese, poisoned Vietnamese, destroyed Yugoslavia, bombed Iraqis, droned Pakistanis, ruined Libya, created ISIS, armed terrorists, supported Child Beheaders in Syria, instigated civil wars and organized illegal regime change around the globe, and so on... The US has been established less than 250 years ago. But this country killed much more people than any other state with their longer history.
Americans have "the gun in my pocket" bloody mentality. Russians have the "lets live together in peace in a big community" mentality. In Russian language the "world" word and the "peace" word are the same - мир (mir) i.e. мир is world and мир is peace.

Last edited by musiqum; 04-23-2018 at 05:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies