Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 01:45 PM

2,448 posts, read 896,598 times

Advertisements

Everyone here understands quite well the female privilege that rears its head in our criminal justice system:

1. For similar/identical crimes, women receive far more lenient sentences.
2. We treat and look at female sex offenders with far less hatred than male sex offenders.
3. We treat male victims of female sex offenders much differently than female victims of male sex offenders.
4. When a female murders, particularly her own kids, we immediately rush to connect it to some mental illness and therefore excuse it to a certain degree. (The Susan Smith and Andrea Yates cases are classic examples.) When a male does the same, we simply assume he is evil.
5. In sex offense cases involving an alleged female victim, we've actually gone so far as to discard our time-honored tradition of presumption of innocence. We now have an informal standard that men are guilty until proven innocent of sexual assault and sexual harassment. This will only get worse with the #MeToo witch hunts/sexual McCarthyist hysteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 01:46 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
IMO, no DA would charge her. All hell would break loose.
The DA should charge her. She needs to be charged. She lied, which got a child murdered. She committed perjury as well.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Everyone here understands quite well the female privilege that rears its head in our criminal justice system:

1. For similar/identical crimes, women receive far more lenient sentences.
2. We treat and look at female sex offenders with far less hatred than male sex offenders.
3. We treat male victims of female sex offenders much differently than female victims of male sex offenders.
4. When a female murders, particularly her own kids, we immediately rush to connect it to some mental illness and therefore excuse it to a certain degree. (The Susan Smith and Andrea Yates cases are classic examples.) When a male does the same, we simply assume he is evil.
5. In sex offense cases involving an alleged female victim, we've actually gone so far as to discard our time-honored tradition of presumption of innocence. We now have an informal standard that men are guilty until proven innocent of sexual assault and sexual harassment. This will only get worse with the #MeToo witch hunts/sexual McCarthyist hysteria.
As much as I don't want to say it, this does happen. Male criminals are viewed in a more harsh light than female criminals.

However, even within that parameter, there is still a race factor to consider. While men are less likely to be treated with lenience, Black men get it the worst. Black men are more likely to get harsher sentences than criminals in other demographics.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I've studied the Emmett Till case.

One case has no bearing on the other.
Like hell.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:23 PM

2,448 posts, read 896,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
As much as I don't want to say it, this does happen. Male criminals are viewed in a more harsh light than female criminals.

However, even within that parameter, there is still a race factor to consider. While men are less likely to be treated with lenience, Black men get it the worst. Black men are more likely to get harsher sentences than criminals in other demographics.
And if you want to have a discussion about why that is with regards to race, we're going to have to include many variables, some of which will make folks very uncomfortable.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Like hell.
This is sadly what we're dealing with. Such double standards taking place. Bill Cosby goes to trial, found guilty, and awaits sentencing. Carolyn Bryant, however, gets left alone. Even the surviving members of Emmet Till's family aren't actively pursuing a case against her.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
And if you want to have a discussion about why that is with regards to race, we're going to have to include many variables, some of which will make folks very uncomfortable.
There are several variables, but with those variables, how much is race related, particularly with the opinion of the public?

Old 04-29-2018, 02:50 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,566,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We all know Bill Cosby is as guilty as sin for drugging women to have sex with them. He was put on trial, and now awaits his punishment. However, I stumbled upon something today. Carolyn Bryant is slightly older than Bill Cosby. She lied against Emmett Till, got her husband and brother-in-law to go kill Emmet Till. She lied, got him killed, she was an accomplice to murder.

Normally, it's rare for me to make a thread like this, but this is just nuts. Yes, Bill Cosby did what he did. However, It is absurd that Carolyn Bryant, who admitted that she lied about what happened with Emmet Till, isn't facing a judge. Criminal behavior. And there is no statue of limitations on murder.
Wouldn't someone have to bring a case? Like a family member or representative or something?

I don't know how the woman lives with herself. I really do not.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:14 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,782,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I have often wondered about that, also. I couldn't believe I heard her confession and she wasn't immediately taken into custody and sent to trial.

I won't call her all the names I'm thinking of right now!
I'm appalled that Bryant is getting away with it too.

But this kind of thing is up to the local prosecutor. Write him. Heck, start a petition - I'll sign!

Edited to add - I'm a white female. There's no excuse for what she did. I was standing up to my family by the time I was 18. She was older than that when she decided to cave.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:01 PM

2,293 posts, read 3,948,852 times
She'll just say she fabricated the story under duress from her husband and his friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies