Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 09:22 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Would you walk around wearing a yarmukule, or is that offensive? I would certainly wear one in a synagogue, but it's inappropriate elsewhere. There's a difference between something that simply originates from a particular culture and something that is culturally meaningful. These are subtle distinctions, and need to be discussed with nuance, but there are people on both sides unwilling or incapable of having these conversations.

If you're non-Jewish wearing a yarmulke as a fashion accessory (don't know why you would, but anyway).... and not mocking, why would anyone even know or care?

And, who gets to be the spokesperson of all the Jewish people to say what non-Jews do or do not get to wear that is "culturally Jewish?"

And, in the end people are allowed to mock if they want, you know.

People are selective in their outrage. "Sexy nun" costumes are popular at Halloween for people of all religions and cultures. Yet if someone was to wear a burka for Halloween you'd open up the gates to hell and a mighty army of ham beast SJWs with blue hair and thick rimmed glasses would tear you apart for "appropriation" and "Islamaphobia."

Old 05-01-2018, 09:25 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
It feels that way. There's a rather schizophrenic effort it seems to both push us into being a "one world" colorblind global nation AND at the same time keep all cultures separated, sanitized, and unshareable. It's impossible to reconcile all this retarded dogma.
Also it seems whites specifically are attacked and treated harshly .

If a black girl or Hispanic girl wore the same dress wouldn’t it still be cultural appropriation?

But I’m sure it wouldn’t of been an issue .

In the modern liberal SJW world white = bad , dirty , something to be ashamed of and feel guilty for .

Old 05-01-2018, 09:32 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
To be fair, though... once you post photos of yourself on a public Twitter feed, you are opening yourself up to being attacked by pretty much anyone.

One person's "what she did was fine" is another person's "I think that was wrong of her" and so forth.

If you don't want strangers commenting on your clothing choices, don't post your photos on public social media accounts.

I could totally understand the rush to defend her if she had a private Twitter account that someone stole her photos from and posted them publicly, opening her up to ridicule and scorn.

She posted them publicly and she flatly refuses to take them down, so I will offer up the suggestion that she wants this press, good and bad.

Take from that what you will.

Nobody can tell a Chinese guy not to be offended by something that offends him any more than I can tell any of you to be not offended by something that you find offensive.

That is how "an opinion" works.

Is what she did "cultural appropriation?" Depends on who you ask.

I am not Chinese so I think it'd be rude of me to tell anyone who is Chinese how they should feel about this situation. I respect opinions pro and con on the issue.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:34 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,014,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Have you paid even the slightest bit of attention to how many liberals have said this whole kerfuffle is absurd?
Seriously, even if you go to the WAPO comments page its 100 to 1 people who dont care. Twitter exposes that girl to million of users, you are bound to run into people who get offended by anything. I would not surprise me if the girl posted the picture because she knew she was bound to get a stupid comment or two that would rev the outrage machine up and raise her profile. I bet she ends up with a crapload of followers and establishes a social media presence to monetize. All she had to do was say I dont subscribe tot he cultural appropriation rhetoric, sorry if it offends you and thats it, but there is no money in that.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Also it seems whites specifically are attacked and treated harshly .

If a black girl or Hispanic girl wore the same dress wouldn’t it still be cultural appropriation?

But I’m sure it wouldn’t of been an issue .

In the modern liberal SJW world white = bad , dirty , something to be ashamed of and feel guilty for .
It's not really being white that is ever the issue... it's that white folks are still the majority and so many white people tend to do stuff that might offend minorities and are COMPLETELY unapologetic about it when they get called on it.

That is why you see this happen time and time again.

I mean, I'm white and I totally get how white folks might feel put upon in the current social climate, but I swear that for most people who are not white, one of us just BEING WHITE is not the issue.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:35 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Would you walk around wearing a yarmukule, or is that offensive? I would certainly wear one in a synagogue, but it's inappropriate elsewhere. There's a difference between something that simply originates from a particular culture and something that is culturally meaningful. These are subtle distinctions, and need to be discussed with nuance, but there are people on both sides unwilling or incapable of having these conversations.
the most offensive part of this post is the ignorance exhibited suggesting that a yarmukule is "cultural"

it isn't.

it is religious.

worlds apart.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Seriously, even if you go to the WAPO comments page its 100 to 1 people who dont care. Twitter exposes that girl to million of users, you are bound to run into people who get offended by anything. I would not surprise me if the girl posted the picture because she knew she was bound to get a stupid comment or two that would rev the outrage machine up and raise her profile. I bet she ends up with a crapload of followers and establishes a social media presence to monetize. All she had to do was say I dont subscribe tot he cultural appropriation rhetoric, sorry if it offends you and thats it, but there is no money in that.
Or, not post a photo of herself in her prom dress on a public twitter profile. I don't post photos of myself on twitter at all.

It's too public.

She could go post that on a private Instagram with only her friends/family as followers and this would not have happened at all.

I am cynical. I think this was intentional.

Including the allegedly harmless "bowing" pose that's suppose to be some YouTuber's Papa Please thing.

I think it was staged, really.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:38 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Nobody can tell a Chinese guy not to be offended by something that offends him any more than I can tell any of you to be not offended by something that you find offensive.

I'm willing to bet that at least 99 percent of the people who are outraged over this episode of cultural appropriation aren't Chinese.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:39 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
To be fair, though... once you post photos of yourself on a public Twitter feed, you are opening yourself up to being attacked by pretty much anyone.

One person's "what she did was fine" is another person's "I think that was wrong of her" and so forth.

If you don't want strangers commenting on your clothing choices, don't post your photos on public social media accounts.

I could totally understand the rush to defend her if she had a private Twitter account that someone stole her photos from and posted them publicly, opening her up to ridicule and scorn.

She posted them publicly and she flatly refuses to take them down, so I will offer up the suggestion that she wants this press, good and bad.

Take from that what you will.

That is how "an opinion" works.

Is what she did "cultural appropriation?" Depends on who you ask.

I am not Chinese so I think it'd be rude of me to tell anyone who is Chinese how they should feel about this situation. I respect opinions pro and con on the issue.
I do agree with you mostly regarding open social media .

She’s an attractive girl so probably has a lot of random people following her .

I wonder though was the Asian guy really offended or being offended by everything just part of being a young liberal in today’s world ?

It’s almost like it’s worn as a badge of honor these days .. “I’m a victim ! I’ve been culturally appropriated! Look at me !”

Social media is an interesting phenomenon as these people that nobody would even know about become famous for 15 minutes .. like Andy Warhol said .

“In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes",”

Old 05-01-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm willing to bet that at least 99 percent of the people who are outraged over this episode of cultural appropriation aren't Chinese.
Entirely possible, yes. But, the guy who spoke out first is Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies