Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 12:11 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times

Advertisements

In a time when cultures are no longer isolated and clearly confined to a given space and people, it is only natural that people like things from outside their own culture.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:11 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,375,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Sez you. I find that people when caught doing or supporting something that may be offensive to someone else - when informed of the social error - no matter how gently will respond full bore - claiming that it is they who are under attack, when all they had to do is acknowledge that someone else may be offended by their actions and be done with it. It is in overblown defense that most times indicates they know they are wrong - but are embarrassed to admit it.

A group of white people. A dress of Chinese culture. A Hindu gesture. No matter how benign, how can you say that it has nothing to do with race or ethnicity when the picture says otherwise? Nobody has asked you to go to a "re-education" camp. Just to be aware of what you are putting into the world. Is that really so much of a burden to you?
why does one need to bend the knee and acknowledge the attacks of others?

Old 05-01-2018, 12:14 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Why are some people today constantly looking for things in which to be offended? So, being American, I can only wear certain types of clothing? This is more ridiculous than removing Confederate statues.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:15 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,502,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
im not the one defending the attacks on a high school girl. that would be you.
Stop being dramatic and manufacturing a fraudulent argument. I'm not defending anything but a widely accepted philosophy that choosing to set one's social media pages to "public" results from a desire to be seen and heard by the world, and that consequences, such as those addressed in this thread, often follow such action.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Stop being dramatic and manufacturing a fraudulent argument. I'm not defending anything but a widely accepted philosophy that choosing to set one's social media pages to "public" results from a desire to be seen and heard by the world, and that consequences, such as those addressed in this thread, often follow such action.
yep. that is exactly what I am accusing you of.
The fact that you don't understand that you just accused the victim is your issue, not mine.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Why are some people today constantly looking for things in which to be offended? So, being American, I can only wear certain types of clothing? This is more ridiculous than removing Confederate statues.
the answer is simple. it hands power to a small group of people who want to force the rest of us to our knees.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:30 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,502,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
yep. that is exactly what I am accusing you of.
The fact that you don't understand that you just accused the victim is your issue, not mine.
Am I supposed to give a crap that you are "accusing" me of something here? It is of no consequence to me that you do not understand why sharing your private life with a world audience on the internet can have a rather adverse outcome. You either get that, or you don't. It appears you don't. That pretty much covers everything.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:30 PM

39,217 posts, read 27,582,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is really scary.

Everybody is subject to public opinion. If "They" think you are a racist, you must be.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Which does not change his genetics.
So is it ones genetics that identify culture or culture that identifies culture?
Is Lam American or Chinese. He speaks English, has an English name, wears American clothes (although they are probably made in China).
If an individual or group pretends to own a culture and have a patent on it they need to live it. It is hypocrisy to tell others they can not enjoy or partake in trappings of various cultures when they themselves step out of their own.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:35 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
I think the first time I saw a dress like that was in some James Bond or similar movie decades ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies