Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 10:15 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Who cares what Chinese MEN think of a white woman wearing a Chinese style dress? The opinion of Chinese WOMEN might matter more to me. However again, I know that the (Chinese) women in my family don't care at all. And not only that, there's no dress like that in any of our closets, and in fact you'd have to PAY me to wear that awful dress. That red dress is not at all me.

BTW in the early 1980's, Iggy Pop played a show in Providence, RI. I was standing in the front of the audience and... he sang the song "China Girl" to ME!!! And I was dressed like a British punk rocker that night.

BTW I hated the visuals of the David Bowie music video of that song. Shrug.

Also hated the way Mickey Rooney played Audrey Hepburn's character's downstairs Japanese neighbor in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Did the Japanese community ever protest that awful portrayal of a Japanese man? Yuck.

Also hated Eddie Murphy as Mr. Wong in his Norbit movie.

But none of that is really worth a twitter/social media wars or shaming over those portrayals. I just quietly not buy tickets to Eddie Murphy movies. There's plenty of better movies to watch. The Mickey Rooney role was filmed in a greatly different era of movie making. Eddie Murphy should have known better, but I certainly have never been his target audience, although I was a big fan of the early SNL shows.
yeah also what about that song “turning Japanese “ could definitely see people being rightly offended by that.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
With a Hebrew/American/English name...
Which does not change his genetics.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Who cares what Chinese MEN think of a white woman wearing a Chinese style dress? The opinion of Chinese WOMEN might matter more to me. However again, I know that the (Chinese) women in my family don't care at all. And not only that, there's no dress like that in any of our closets, and in fact you'd have to PAY me to wear that awful dress. That red dress is not at all me.

BTW in the early 1980's, Iggy Pop played a show in Providence, RI. I was standing in the front of the audience and... he sang the song "China Girl" to ME!!! And I was dressed like a British punk rocker that night.

BTW I hated the visuals of the David Bowie music video of that song. Shrug.

Also hated the way Mickey Rooney played Audrey Hepburn's character's downstairs Japanese neighbor in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Did the Japanese community ever protest that awful portrayal of a Japanese man? Yuck.

Also hated Eddie Murphy as Mr. Wong in his Norbit movie.

But none of that is really worth a twitter/social media wars or shaming over those portrayals. I just quietly not buy tickets to Eddie Murphy movies. There's plenty of better movies to watch. The Mickey Rooney role was filmed in a greatly different era of movie making. Eddie Murphy should have known better, but I certainly have never been his target audience, although I was a big fan of the early SNL shows.
I get what you're saying, but that Chinese guy has a right to his opinion.

And, as I said earlier, my half-Chinese daughter did not care for the group pose and felt that she could see how it might come across as offensive (but, wasn't particularly in an uproar over it, either).

So, it is one of those "depends on who you ask" things.

She also doesn't like the Mickey Rooney thing. Or the Eddie Murphy thing. She's fine with the David Bowie thing, though.

All of us are different in what we may or may not find offensive.

I do think she knew it would spark controversy, and that is why she posted it.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:19 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
yeah also what about that song “turning Japanese “ could definitely see people being rightly offended by that.
Have you seen the video of Kirsten Dunst's version of that song? hubba hubba!

Old 05-01-2018, 10:20 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
My neighbor's daughter buys everything vintage, she has some cool stuff. There isn't anything wrong with wearing that dress.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
As I said earlier... the 80s were full of iffy stuff, looking back.

Sixteen Candles, which I do still love, had all sorts of questionable material.

I think it's more about my view of it from how I saw it as a teenager, not how I'd see a new movie like that now.

Make sense?

I do think it's really nuts to take today's societal expectations and apply them to stuff from decades prior.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:21 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Seriously, why ruining somebody's prom by attacking her like that on the internet?

It is just a dress. As long as she is happy, what seems to be the problem?

I have 1/4 Japanese blood in me, the only time it bothers me is when somebody suggesting that I am personally responsible for ww2. LOL

Old 05-01-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Seriously, why ruining somebody's prom by attacking her like that on the internet?

It is just a dress. As long as she is happy, what seems to be the problem?

I have 1/4 Japanese blood in me, the only time it bothers me is when somebody suggesting that I am personally responsible for ww2. LOL
Perhaps she could have avoided all this by not posting it for the ENTIRE world to comment on, though?

Personal responsibility and all that.

I doubt her prom was ruined at all.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:24 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Perhaps she could have avoided all this by not posting it for the ENTIRE world to comment on, though?

Wait! Where did she post her photo for the ENTIRE world to comment on?

Old 05-01-2018, 10:24 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

I totally agree with you regarding the attention wh*ring aspect of making one's social media pages public. When you stand on a soapbox and share your life with everyone, ye shall reap what ye sowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies