Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 11:15 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times

Advertisements

Seems one would have to be crazy to run a business in a liberal city .
Many cities in America are welcoming to businesses unlike cities like NYC , San Francisco , L.A etc with these crazy minimum wage laws .

NYC restaurants are not happy with the big minimum wage hike government has forced on them .

Now they are begging to be allowed to add a surcharge of 5 % to each bill .

They make a good point about these politicians that have never run a business .

——

New York City restaurants are proposing a surcharge for all diners to cover the rising cost of wages.

A group of more than 100 owners are pushing for lawmakers to let them add an extra 5% to weather next year’s hike in the minimum wage to $15 as well as the rising cost of food and rent.

“We’re seeing restaurants go out of business,” Apple-Metro CEO Zane Tankel said Tuesday during an interview on FOX Business’ “Evening Edit.”

Tankel argues that the minimum-wage hike will destroy jobs and force restaurants to raise menu prices.

“Our mayor has never run a business in his life,” he said. “Our governor has never run a business in his life,” he added, referring to Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...on-restaurants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 11:18 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Many cities in America are welcoming to businesses unlike cities like NYC , San Francisco , L.A etc with these crazy minimum wage laws .

NYC restaurants are not happy with the big minimum wage hike government has forced on them .

——

New York City restaurants are proposing a surcharge for all diners to cover the rising cost of wages.

A group of more than 100 owners are pushing for lawmakers to let them add an extra 5% to weather next year’s hike in the minimum wage to $15 as well as the rising cost of food and rent.

“We’re seeing restaurants go out of business,” Apple-Metro CEO Zane Tankel said Tuesday during an interview on FOX Business’ “Evening Edit.”

Tankel argues that the minimum-wage hike will destroy jobs and force restaurants to raise menu prices.

“Our mayor has never run a business in his life,” he said. “Our governor has never run a business in his life,” he added, referring to Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

By New York restaurants -- the article means Applebee's -- they should be allowed to die.

Eat at Captain D's instead -- less likely to cause you harm -- (I'm kidding don't eat there either)

Applebee's is dying and looking for any excuse to try and get itself out of the dumpster.

some things should be allowed to die.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:20 PM

A good article written by an NYC business owner . He breaks it down in the articles why the hikes are so bad.

—-
Minimum wage kills. Not actual people, but it kills jobs. I own Lagmitz Paper & Plastic Co., LLC, a business I started out of my parents' basement in Brooklyn over 37 years ago. Every year, running the business becomes more difficult, and something needs to give.
New business regulations keep getting piled on us by Mayor de Blasio and the City Council. Payroll taxes increase. And, most punishing of all for our bottom line, the minimum wage keeps going up, thanks mostly to Gov. Cuomo.

I can

Old 05-04-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
By New York restaurants -- the article means Applebee's -- they should be allowed to die.

Eat at Captain D's instead -- less likely to cause you harm -- (I'm kidding don't eat there either)

Applebee's is dying and looking for any excuse to try and get itself out of the dumpster.

I’m not a huge fan of Apple Bees either but of course some people like it . I wouldn’t want to see their employees lose their job .

It mentioned the Applesbees owner but there are 100 restaurants petitioning the city to add this surcharge on the bill .

Old 05-04-2018, 11:25 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
It's far better on the economy for the government to hike welfare benefits and give more food stamps for people making under $15 an hour in New York and other high cost of living places?

Old 05-04-2018, 11:25 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:

——

I’m sorry but if can’t afford to pay your employees a decent wage then you shouldn’t be in the business at all

Old 05-04-2018, 11:26 PM

Minimum wage is going up everywhere in the USA not just New York -- and in many places that can't charge New York City prices for stuff.

When Trump gave the corporations the tax cut, some of the corporations cited the extra cash could bump up the minimum wage......Could it be that's what is happening in NYC-- not liberal policies but all that extra cash from tax cuts?

Old 05-04-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I’m not a huge fan of Apple Bees either but of course some people like it . I wouldn’t want to see their employees lose their job .

It mentioned the Applesbees owner but there are 100 restaurants petitioning the city to add this surcharge on the bill .
I suspect they are all Applebee style restaurants that are struggling to keep their customer base. (Applebees across the country are struggling to stay afloat).

The people in those restaurants live and work in the greater NYC area -- how can they afford to live in the area on less than 15 an hour.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:

Applebee's closed in my town over a couple years ago, only to be torn down and replaced by Raising Cane, a chicken fast food, hardly an improvement.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Minimum wage is going up everywhere in the USA not just New York -- and in many places that can't charge New York City prices for stuff.
You're WRONG. It's certainly not so in Oklahoma. There, it's against state law for a city or county to raise the minimum wage, which is $7.25 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies