Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 05:49 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Accomodation made to small business? How? Why are you so anti small business. You realize most businesses are small businesses?
Affordable housing is another bs term liberals through around. What does that even mean?
No, I don't think everyone in the country or world has a right to live in Manhattan or Beverly Hills for cheap. It's not practical as demand far exceed supply.
You are talking about 'wealthy unethical companies' ...which is debatable. Which companies are those?
But anyways I'm talking about mom and pop businesses in cities like NYC...many or most actually run by immigrants. The group liberals keep on saying we have to 'protect' . But in reality liberals actually hurt those they claim they want to 'protect'...as they always do.
I was quite clear in what I said. In your perfect world poor people who live in a large city shouldn't complain, because it was their choice to live there, but somehow we need to subsidize small businesses who are faced with the same higher costs that the poor are because OMG they are "small businesses"

No, no and hell no. That small business made a choice locate in LA, SF or NYC, no one forced them and no one is forcing them to stay.

PS 'most businesses' are small businesses because S Corps are included in that category. That includes Koch with 70k employees, Bechtel, and 25 hedge with annual revenue of over 1 billion dollars all of which are officially "small businesses"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 06:08 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I was quite clear in what I said. In your perfect world poor people who live in a large city shouldn't complain, because it was their choice to live there, but somehow we need to subsidize small businesses who are faced with the same higher costs that the poor are because OMG they are "small businesses"

No, no and hell no. That small business made a choice locate in LA, SF or NYC, no one forced them and no one is forcing them to stay.

PS 'most businesses' are small businesses because S Corps are included in that category. That includes Koch with 70k employees, Bechtel, and 25 hedge with annual revenue of over 1 billion dollars all of which are officially "small businesses"
Never realized people could hate small business so much , it’s weird .

Those businesses most of them made the decision to open and invest their savings before these bad “$15 hr wage laws”

Why are you talking about Koch etc ? You know those are entirely different from the local burger or taco place.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
You think a massive increase in labor cost will only hurt McDonald's?
Labor is less than 25% of the cost of goods sold in a small business, it just stands to reason that increases in labor costs are not going to do that much to the price of a hamburger. The price of ground beef doubled a few years ago and food costs are about 35% of the cogs in a burger joint, it didn't do much at all to the cost of fast food menu items and I don't recall reading about small business owners going out of business because of it.

There have been numerous studies done on it, here is one

"Study: Raising wages to $15 an hour for limited-service restaurant employees would raise prices 4.3 percent" Study: Raising wages to $15 an hour for limited-service restaurant employees would raise prices 4.3 percent - Purdue University

Old 05-09-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Never realized people could hate small business so much , it’s weird .
Those businesses most of them made the decision to open and invest their savings before these bad “$15 hr wage laws” Why are you talking about Koch etc ? You know those are entirely different from the local burger or taco place.
I was quite clear you claimed that most businesses are "small businesses" and I was explaining to you that is not because the US is full of "mom and pop" stores but it has to do with how we classify a small business.

All businesses have had the benefit of a minimum wage that has not increased in 9 years, if any one based their business model on the premise that the minimum wage would never go up, then maybe entrepreneurship isn't for them.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:32 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Well dear one, then the only answer is to pay people in the US 12 cents a hour to keep china from "becoming the supplier." and somehow I don't think too many people are interested in doing that, do you?
Not the reason. It’s the consequence.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:36 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,534 times
Quote:
I was quite clear you claimed that most businesses are "small businesses" and I was explaining to you that is not because the US is full of "mom and pop" stores but it has to do with how we classify a small business.

All businesses have had the benefit of a minimum wage that has not increased in 9 years, if any one based their business model on the premise that the minimum wage would never go up, then maybe entrepreneurship isn't for them.
The business will pass the cost to the consumer. It's that simple. The costs of goods and services will go up for everyone. I (and everyone else) in turn will ask for a raise or look for a new job that pays more to offset the new higher cost of living. Property owners will also raise the rents for the exact reason. The alternative is the business will automate the job as with the kiosk and robot burger flipper, regardless of your opinion of McDs food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies